I've been playing with Windows 8 Release Preview 64 bit to see what if anything I'd have to change if I moved to adopt it in a 3-4 PC environment. On a whim I decided to try the P-t-G on the test machine and it works slick as a whistle to print to my Playbook. My compliments to the Developer!
    06-18-12 05:48 PM
    It works in WinXP and Win7 also. The problem is, it doesn't work for everyone. This will be the case with Win8 as well. Not everyone will be able to get it working. It seems the people who are able to get PtG working in the older systems know a bit about software enough to configure the OS to make PtG work. This is the fault of PtG, though. RIM hasn't coded PtG well enough to adjust to any and all OS configurations. PtG should be able to adjust itself to whatever circumstances it meets in any given OS, but it isn't able. That's why a lot of people can't get it working. The chances of PtG working properly on a pristine new system, though, is higher than on a well used system. But having said that, I tried PtG on a "pristine new" system ( a fresh install of WinXP) and it still wouldn't work.
    06-18-12 06:27 PM
    Works flawlessly for me. Win7-64.
    06-18-12 10:54 PM
    It works in WinXP and Win7 also. The problem is, it doesn't work for everyone. This will be the case with Win8 as well. Not everyone will be able to get it working. It seems the people who are able to get PtG working in the older systems know a bit about software enough to configure the OS to make PtG work. This is the fault of PtG, though. RIM hasn't coded PtG well enough to adjust to any and all OS configurations. PtG should be able to adjust itself to whatever circumstances it meets in any given OS, but it isn't able. That's why a lot of people can't get it working. The chances of PtG working properly on a pristine new system, though, is higher than on a well used system. But having said that, I tried PtG on a "pristine new" system ( a fresh install of WinXP) and it still wouldn't work.
    The only "configuring" I did in either W7 or W8 was to make sure that the Windows machine and the Playbook were on the same wireless Workgroup with the same credentials. Given that both devices are functional then that has nothing to do with the correctly installed Print-to-Go software. It has a lot to do with how the operator sets up the wireless network connection so that communicaion can be accomplished as best as I can logically determine it.

YMMV :-)
    06-18-12 11:01 PM
    The only "configuring" I did in either W7 or W8 was to make sure that the Windows machine and the Playbook were on the same wireless Workgroup with the same credentials. Given that both devices are functional then that has nothing to do with the correctly installed Print-to-Go software. It has a lot to do with how the operator sets up the wireless network connection so that communicaion can be accomplished as best as I can logically determine it.

YMMV :-)
    Most people don't know what that means, much less how to set it. The biggest problem these days in the dev community is not being aware that what they know, the common user doesn't know. What seems simple to them can be a nightmare to others. All of these settings and configurations can be a headache to the average user. And programs like Splashtop, Streaming Now and so forth don't require a knowledge of those settings. The programs do it all for them. PtG, however, doesn't.
    rsp44 likes this.
    06-19-12 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD