Print to Go only for Windows?
    02-22-12 12:02 AM
    RIM hasn't been the best at creating things that are compatible with Mac.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 02-22-12 at 08:52 AM.
    02-22-12 12:04 AM
    RIM hasn't been the best at creating things that care compatible with Mac.
    Yes, exactly. I should have known better after seeing that OS2 Contacts won't sync with Mac OSX address book. Yet RIM did bother to develop BlackBerry Desktop for Mac.
    Last edited by RF8655; 02-22-12 at 12:13 AM.
    02-22-12 12:10 AM
    I've tried Print to Go on my netbook and it works great. It's a pity it doesn't have a Mac version yet.

If BlackBerry prefers a PC, my next new PC will be Windows 7/8 for sure!
    02-23-12 12:08 AM
    That's crazy. I'm really disappointed as I was looking forward to this feature. Urgh.
    02-23-12 02:45 AM
    Okay so we Mac users were ignored here, but my question, as I am a newbie to this, is what alternatives are there so I can print from my PB....do I have to email the file to a printer attached computer...read my Mac, or if I have a Bluetooth printer would it work?
    02-23-12 09:54 AM
    Indeed, RIM hasn't been great at supporting macs at all--which is yet another strategic blunder.
    02-23-12 09:58 AM
    Okay so we Mac users were ignored here, but my question, as I am a newbie to this, is what alternatives are there so I can print from my PB....do I have to email the file to a printer attached computer...read my Mac, or if I have a Bluetooth printer would it work?
    To answer your question, the best printing option I have found (for a PC or a Mac) is to email the item to my wireless printer that has it's own email address (epson-connect). Next best option is to email to a PC/Mac attached to a printer.

FYI; the Print To Go app is NOT for printing FROM the Playbook, but for sending ("printing") files TO the Playbook in a common format (PDF) that makes it easy for items like travel documents that might otherwise be in numerous formats.
    Good luck.
    02-23-12 10:19 AM
    It would be great if RIM released the spec for Print-To-Go so that a third party developer can develop it, if RIM doesn't want to devote resources. For me, I want a GNU/Linux version.
    02-23-12 11:09 AM
    Indeed, RIM hasn't been great at supporting macs at all--which is yet another strategic blunder.
    I understand the Print-to-go is causing problems for Mac users. But what else has been the issue.

I use a Mac (never used a PC- ever), and have managed to get everything to work on the PB-Mac combo.

Post your "exact problems" before you start bashing RIM saying that they are not supporting Macs at all.

--
    02-23-12 11:14 AM
    I understand the Print-to-go is causing problems for Mac users. But what else has been the issue.

I use a Mac (never used a PC- ever), and have managed to get everything to work on the PB-Mac combo.

Post your "exact problems" before you start bashing RIM saying that they are not supporting Macs at all.

--
    Don't take this the wrong way. I pretty much dumped Windows 4 years ago as I got fed up with rebuilding the hard drive every year or two.

BUT, yesterday I had to do a "restore to factory default" on a PlayBook, and damned if I could get the Mac version of BlackBerry Desktop Software (version 2.3.0) to do a repair. The software would offer the opportunity to do the repair, but nothing would happen and the PlayBook would just complete it's boot process. After trying repeatedly, I gave up, hauled out an old laptop with XP, installed BBDS and completed the restore on the first attempt.
    02-23-12 11:43 AM
    Don't take this the wrong way. I pretty much dumped Windows 4 years ago as I got fed up with rebuilding the hard drive every year or two.

BUT, yesterday I had to do a "restore to factory default" on a PlayBook, and damned if I could get the Mac version of BlackBerry Desktop Software (version 2.3.0) to do a repair. The software would offer the opportunity to do the repair, but nothing would happen and the PlayBook would just complete it's boot process. After trying repeatedly, I gave up, hauled out an old laptop with XP, installed BBDS and completed the restore on the first attempt.
    I agree that there are always some quirks with certain softwares/platforms. As you have mentioned having to use the PC to do the repair, I can attest to mentioning that unlike many others here having issues with backing up their PB using the Mac, I never had a problem.

There are ways work around doing somethings, albeit not everything, knowing how to do them makes the difference.
    02-23-12 12:23 PM
    Mac users can always 'print' the file as a PDF and then wirelessly drop it on to the playbook.

Thats what i have been doing for a while and it works wonder
    02-23-12 12:46 PM
    True but they didn't bother to produce a Print To Go driver for Mac OSX. How hard would that have been? Not very hard.
    Brings me back to my overall concern about RIM. They have a huge campus and many employees. What are they doing?
    02-24-12 07:20 AM
    wouldn't surprise me if RIM decided to just not develop or allow for Mac syncing or compatibility full stop in the future, it is after all the Apple fanboys constantly declaring RIM is dead and slating everything they do. probably a fairly logical move to shun those who are effectively a lost cause and focus more on the larger consumer market, which is as always, Windows users.
    02-24-12 07:47 AM
    wouldn't surprise me if RIM decided to just not develop or allow for Mac syncing or compatibility full stop in the future, it is after all the Apple fanboys constantly declaring RIM is dead and slating everything they do. probably a fairly logical move to shun those who are effectively a lost cause and focus more on the larger consumer market, which is as always, Windows users.
    Well RIM wouldn't make such a move, fortunately (hope) they don't think that way.

And yes maybe the majority of people who use apple products bash RIM all the time, those are called the Padtrolls out here, while there are others like me who use a Mac and yet appreciate the nature of true and better technology (as in the Playbook) and support RIM in its effort.
    Last edited by anindoc; 02-24-12 at 08:10 AM.
    02-24-12 07:51 AM
    Hey there,

usually I only work with iOS and Mac devices but I bought a Playbook one week ago. I realized - as you - the print to go function is not available for Mac users. That's definitely a bummer.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible to integrate this into the mac environment as long as RIM doesn't tell us about their standards.

For the meantime I might have an alternative for some of you. As the box.net app (with 50GB free space) is very attractive to playbook users, I thought of integrating the print function with the backend of box.net for all of us who don't want to wait for RIM...

I call it Poseidon. It's totally free and might help some users here. I thought it wouldn't be fair if I only used it myself.

Do the following to test Poseidon:

1. Download the app from here
    2. Open the app and use the assistant to integrate your (existing) account. If you don't have a box.net account, please create one first.
    3. Wait until the assistant ask you to quit the app. Then click on the appropriate button for that in the window. From this moment on you have a system-wide integration of Poseidon into your workflow. Everything you can print, can be send to Poseidon from now on.

EDIT: You can find Poseidon under Print > PDF... > Poseidon in every app.

If you want to help me testing out my solution, here are the rules:

1. Please be patient. I wrote this app within the last 4 hours. So it's far away from perfect. It's just in order to get some feedback at an early state. I *REALLY* mean it.
    2. Please be patient. It isn't tested up to this point intensively. It's less than a beta, it's a pre-alpha, so don't be too disappointed.
    3. Please help me. Post feedback here and tell me if this approach helps you living with the lack of RIM's PTG for mac users.
    4. Please help me. This app doesn't send personal information of you to my servers. It only sends timestamps at the beginning of each print session (or rather: App start) in order for me to see if there is much interest (or hopefully not: less) in this app. If you don't trust in what I say, I kindly ask you to sniff the network traffic - you will see it's true. The only personal data this app sends are your documents as PDFs files which are sent to the box server farms.

EDIT 2: Very interesting. Currently it only seems to work with about one half of the files I tried. I will have a look at that issue...
    Last edited by super_init; 06-04-12 at 03:03 PM.
    06-04-12 02:35 PM
    Print to Go only for Windows?
    P2G isn't 100% compatible with Windows either. A lot of people can't get the software to work on their Windows PCs. There are some who can get it to work, though. I, for one, have never succeeded in getting P2G to work on any of my PCs. And RIM support is less than useless in the matter.
    06-04-12 02:43 PM
    I now corrected some mistakes in my Print to Go for Mac adaption. Every file should work now. See my first post for details. Link is still valid: Click
    06-04-12 04:26 PM
    I'm with you anindoc, I love my Mac and won't go back to a PC but I also have no interest in trading my Torch and PlayBook for an iPhone and iPad. The bluetooth file transfer works well for sending files to the PB so maybe that's why RIM didn't develop the P2G for Mac; it already has a solution but Window's doesn't. If need be, I can always use VM Fusion jump over to Windows XP and install P2G there.
    10-06-12 09:38 AM
    How can I get Print to Go to work with my iMac and my Playbook and my Z10?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD