I have several things that I am unsure about with the playbook
    1. What will be the Uk and US pricing for 16,32,64 GB models of the PlayBook
    2. What release date should I expect in both the US and UK
    3. Via Blackberry Bridge on the Wi-fi model of the playbook will one be able to use the data connection from a blackberry smartphone to go on the browser and use the playbooks other internect capabilities on the move ?
    4. Are the Email, BBM, Calendar apps only for users which have a blackberry device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 03:17 PM
    I have several things that I am unsure about with the playbook
    1. What will be the Uk and US pricing for 16,32,64 GB models of the PlayBook
    2. What release date should I expect in both the US and UK
    3. Via Blackberry Bridge on the Wi-fi model of the playbook will one be able to use the data connection from a blackberry smartphone to go on the browser and use the playbooks other internect capabilities on the move ?
    4. Are the Email, BBM, Calendar apps only for users which have a blackberry device

1.) Not announced yet, the 16 "under $500"
    2.) Q1, we're all assuming sometime in March but February could happen
    3.) You are correct, at least from what the RIM employees said at CES2011
    4.) they are unless 3rd party developers are already on it and RIM says they'll become independent also "as the platform evolves"
    01-26-11 03:30 PM
    I don't think I've seen this ask here but does anyone know if the PB will be able to connect to office networks via VPN (PPTP)?
    01-26-11 03:46 PM
    Will it run on BlackBerry OS or different one??? Thanks
    01-29-11 12:56 AM
    Will it run on BlackBerry OS or different one??? Thanks
    Different one. Qualcomm's QNX operating system.
    01-29-11 02:56 AM
    Different one. Qualcomm's QNX operating system.
    its not Qualcomms...QNX is its own
    01-29-11 06:06 AM
    its not Qualcomms...QNX is its own
    Correct; I believe the official name of the company is "QNX software systems". Correct me if I am wrong.

01-29-11 08:31 AM
    Correct; I believe the official name of the company is "QNX software systems". Correct me if I am wrong.

That's what they are called. But I guess they really are RIM now.

It's officially called BlackBerry Tablet OS and it's based on QNX Neutrino.

01-29-11 08:59 AM
    Alright, I stand corrected.
    01-29-11 09:15 AM
    That's what they are called. But I guess they really are RIM now.

It's officially called BlackBerry Tablet OS and it's based on QNX Neutrino.

Yea I think the acquisition is a part of RIM's current market shift strategy, along with buying TAT. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for these new companies to make a complete impact on rim devices. I said long ago if they could just figure out they can keep the blackberry security and functionality but also have the liquid smooth and responsive UI's that the more modern devices have then they would regain thier former glory.
    01-29-11 09:30 AM
    Yea I think the acquisition is a part of RIM's current market shift strategy, along with buying TAT. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for these new companies to make a complete impact on rim devices. I said long ago if they could just figure out they can keep the blackberry security and functionality but also have the liquid smooth and responsive UI's that the more modern devices have then they would regain thier former glory.
    But don't you think that it is starting to become too little too late. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic move on their part, shows they're realising they need some extra meat to the bone that is BlackBerry, but I don't know if it'll be enough to tempt people back.
    01-29-11 09:37 AM
    But don't you think that it is starting to become too little too late. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic move on their part, shows they're realising they need some extra meat to the bone that is BlackBerry, but I don't know if it'll be enough to tempt people back.
    I don't know... I just don't know. It is a move on thier part that acknowleges a problem; that in itself is good. I had rather Lazardis and Balsillie do SOMETHING rather than nothing. However, I don't know if that is the correct fix. The problem IMHO is that they don't seem yet to understand that the nature of the business environment has changed; not just that the consumer is demanding more, but that competition is heating up, with new devices with newer hardware and greater specs coming out more frequently than once every few years. (Note; I think motorola spitting out a new phone every 48 hours is a bit much...)

I feel I am right about this because the general RIM position hasn't changed, which is "we aren't going to give the people want they want to spend money on until we are darn well ready to." Many years ago they got away with this paradigm; they were the only real player in town outside of the fledgling iphone from apple. No, you aren't in Kansas anymore more, and you're little dog too....
    01-29-11 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD