WHY??? They dumping?
    11-17-11 12:53 AM
    It's not surprising. Kindle Fire's came out this week, and so I'm not surprised that RIM's dropping the price to the same as the Fire. RIM's sitting in inventory and so might as well have the devices in people's hands rather than having them sit in warehouses.
    Just Me and bbfan1040 like this.
    11-17-11 01:10 AM
    You think? If they're liquidating inventory, it really is because they don't want to do write-offs. Any other company would be using this as an opportunity to introduce a hardware revision in time for February OS 2.0, but given RIM's track record and difficulty in putting out new hardware, this is off the table I'm sure.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    11-17-11 02:43 AM
    The price drop isn't official. I like to think of it as a sale.

This is a crucial time where the market is being saturated by the tablet craze. I think RIM wants these tablets to reach out to more people to try. They have a pretty solid product but convincing people to try something new at a hefty price is a lot harder to think about.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-17-11 04:22 AM
    Its just the thanksgiving black friday sale, thats all.... the price will be back up again.
    11-17-11 04:41 AM
    BlackBerry 32GB 298$ Canadian. I lost about 145$ now when I jumped on the last 200$ off promotion. I am so pissed and I am returning everything. One day I pay 482$ tax in... and that's after they apply the gift card to the 599+tax so they screwed me there to...You you ever hear of paying taxes on the retail amount then getting the 200$ gift card added after. that amounts to fraud. I went and complained and they told me that is how Blackberry wants it done. and now its 300 bucks. Just say you have a problem then return it and demand the rebate period.
    Last edited by nofixedpath; 11-17-11 at 07:42 AM.
    11-17-11 07:37 AM
    man people like to whine don't they? The price is too high, now its too low.
    shawnOST likes this.
    11-17-11 07:42 AM
    Think of the positives. There will now be more PlayBooks out there. When OS2 hits, functionality will be improved.

There is never a bad time to sell more products.

With the inventory cleared and at least some money coming back in, that money can be used for developing new products.
    AggreX, kbz1960 and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    11-17-11 07:45 AM
    2 Reasons Manufacturers do Price drops

Clear out Excess inventory,
    Increase brand penetration.

3 Reasons retailers Advertise dropped prices
    Product will attract users into the store ( You don't waste ad space on a dud product more than once, it wastes marketing dollars, print dollars, inventory dollars)
    Sell excess inventory ( This is almost always accompanied by "while supplies last" and there is little to no replenishment of the product)
    excess inventory in complementary products ( You have accessories you need to push, so you sell the main product to attract users into the store, and upsell accessories with it, to clear your accessory inventory, when company's BUNDLE sale, usually this is the case, they have too much of multiple related items so they bundle sale to reduce losses across multiple items)

Because the PlayBook Keep yoyoing, I really think that it must be working for Retailers in bringing people in to the store asking and looking at it, maybe the LOW PlayBook price might be allowing them to upsell a slightly more expensive Android tablet, or they are getting BlackBerry devices sold WITH PlayBooks because of the low cost, but we wouldn't keep seeing them in flyers as featured products if they were completely duds to the retailers.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-17-11 07:54 AM
    I would not worry about the price dropping. If you like the device then it should help you like it better.
    Some of the costs are being absorbed by RIM and some by the retailers. In either case, it increases the Playbooks penetration.
    It is a tough market and RIM is going for market penetration. I like it. For this price you could get three Playbooks for one iPad2. Not as many apps but enough for me and with a better browser, speakers, cameras, faster processor, etc.
    I don't like standing at a store but I will be there promptly on Black Friday because Christmas shopping is now in full swing.

By the way, I got one for my mother in law that live is Idaho and I wondered if she would use it much beyond video chat and sharing (mostly on the receiving end for her) videos and pictures on BlueBox (aka dropbox) and was pleasantly surprised that she joined a book club and reads about a book a month with her Playbook. She loves the size.

If you get one I strongly suggest you get the convertible case. Protect it. Even if you pay 200 bucks it is a $500 dollar piece of equipment. Also, to boot, if you have a BB then the bridge feature gives you free access, which for an equivalent 3g model is about $50.00 bucks per month. In other words, you pay for the Playbook 100% after four month. I got mine on day one full price and if I would still get it tomorrow if I needed a new tablet.
    Just Me and AggreX like this.
    11-17-11 08:23 AM
    BlackBerry 32GB 298$ Canadian. I lost about 145$ now when I jumped on the last 200$ off promotion. I am so pissed and I am returning everything. One day I pay 482$ tax in... and that's after they apply the gift card to the 599+tax so they screwed me there to...You you ever hear of paying taxes on the retail amount then getting the 200$ gift card added after. that amounts to fraud. I went and complained and they told me that is how Blackberry wants it done. and now its 300 bucks. Just say you have a problem then return it and demand the rebate period.
    Actually, gift card is just like cash, so you do pay tax on the full retail. Not RIM's fault. This is Sales Tax 101.

Prices drop. I bought mine months before the 200 drop, but I don't care - price of early adoption.

People like you are why the global ecomomy is a mess - everyone wants Rolls Royce for tthe price of a Yugo
    Abrante and Just Me like this.
    11-17-11 08:29 AM
    i cant believe you r actually complaining about that!!!! im an early adapter! i paid 599 plus tax!!! for my 32 gb playbook that is now only 299! you have absolutely nothing to complain about...honestly blackberry should really do something for us early adapters...i know its been mentioned 1000 times on this forum, but ive beenin australia all year and seeing the advert on staples flyer reaaaaally ticked me off this morning so just allow me to com on here and vent a little...thanks friends

ps this thing is worth what i paid for it, but would rather have 2 for the price i paid lol
    jimbob4321, Just Me and AggreX like this.
    11-17-11 08:56 AM
    That's how it's always done with any product; you pay the tax on the original price before the discount. It's tax - RIM doesn't get any of it!

One day I pay 482$ tax in... and that's after they apply the gift card to the 599+tax so they screwed me there to...You you ever hear of paying taxes on the retail amount then getting the 200$ gift card added after. that amounts to fraud. I went and complained and they told me that is how Blackberry wants it done.
    11-17-11 08:57 AM
    Its just the thanksgiving black friday sale, thats all.... the price will be back up again.
    And it will stop selling again. Until/unless/if they release the updated OS and it really fixes all of the weaknesses.
    11-17-11 09:42 AM
    I paid $5000 for a laptop once, now it is useless. Did I lose $5000 or did I get a tool that experiences rapid depreciation and planned obsolescence? My grandfathers pick axe on the otherhand cost him less than $1 70 years ago and is still perfectly functional today. I recommend returning your purchase and getting some sharp aged cheddar to go with that whine. Unfortunately if RIM doesn't play such a game and stay relevant we are all going to be stuck with devices which are no more functional than my laser disk player.
    Last edited by Just Me; 11-17-11 at 12:17 PM.
    Abrante, mud314 and asherwiin like this.
    11-17-11 12:09 PM
    i think their $199 sale price is working quite well.

if any of you are on redflagdeals.com, you will notice that since it was posted on Nov 13, it's been at the top of the most active threads since. It's got over 227,000 views too!

it means that people are willing to pay this price and give it a try. It's a great thing too. RIM needs to get the playbook into consumers hands.

The more PBs that are in the market, the more incentive developers have to create for BBX. If it's at the cost of not making money on the hardware then so be it. Video game manufacturers have been operating this way for years (losing money on hardware to make it back on software).
    11-17-11 12:44 PM
    So, I take this to mean your frightened and confused?

11-17-11 12:58 PM
    i think their $199 sale price is working quite well.

if any of you are on redflagdeals.com, you will notice that since it was posted on Nov 13, it's been at the top of the most active threads since. It's got over 227,000 views too!

it means that people are willing to pay this price and give it a try. It's a great thing too. RIM needs to get the playbook into consumers hands.

The more PBs that are in the market, the more incentive developers have to create for BBX. If it's at the cost of not making money on the hardware then so be it. Video game manufacturers have been operating this way for years (losing money on hardware to make it back on software).

Sure is working in Canada.

Just think RIM should have at least put an basic email client on it before the clearout.
    Most of those buyers are buying on price,
    a email client and decent browser would have left a better impression of the product out of the box ?
    Last edited by Sonic77; 11-17-11 at 01:22 PM.
    11-17-11 01:12 PM
    Sure is working in Canada.

Just think RIM should have at least put an basic email client on it before the clearout.
    Most of those buyers are buying on price, and a email client and decent browser would have left a better impression of the product out of the box ?
    if they have the email client they probably wouldn't have needed such a huge price slash, either!
    11-17-11 01:20 PM
    I really don't understand why everyone thinks that because they bought it at full price that RIM "owes" them something now. If you bought a new car when it first hits the lot do you expect the car dealer to give you something later in the year when they put them on sale and clear out inventory? RIM doesn't owe you anything. Any person with common sense knows that everything is more expensive when its first released.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 03:01 PM
    I really don't understand why everyone thinks that because they bought it at full price that RIM "owes" them something now. If you bought a new car when it first hits the lot do you expect the car dealer to give you something later in the year when they put them on sale and clear out inventory? RIM doesn't owe you anything. Any person with common sense knows that everything is more expensive when its first released.

Actually your analogy isnt accurate. Here is a more accurate analogy.

A car dealer tells you a car will be available on date X for sell. Its late three weeks, but you
    ignore this fact because they dont get their money until you get your car. They tell you many
    features 1,2,3....n arent available quite yet but they ARE part of the package you are buying.
    Feature 3 is due two months later, feature 4 will be out by the end of summer, and by the end
    of the year most will come around... scattered through the time intervals at various points. So
    you pay full price for the car, $xx,xxx.

Well, a few weeks later feature 1 shows up.... a month later, feature 2 shows up. Good? Well,
    thats all you get. Two months go by and feature 3 doesnt appear, the end of that summer comes
    and goes and there is no feature 4... in fact, 6 months later and nearly none of the features
    that you were sold on show up. You are handed yet another I.O.U. of indefinite duration for all
    the features that were to be included for the full $xx,xxx pricetag. You were sold half a car for a
    full car price. I would say they owed you something... A refund or the features you paid
    for. In fact, if that actually happened, you could take that dealership to court. You would have
    just cause to sue.

Last edited by kb5zht; 11-17-11 at 05:05 PM.
    Abrante and FF22 like this.
    11-17-11 05:03 PM
    kb5zht:

I was going to tell him something very similar. They owe me the rest of the package. I'm not talking money but software, features, wireless audio.
    Abrante likes this.
    11-17-11 05:07 PM
    I paid $5000 for a laptop once, now it is useless. Did I lose $5000 or did I get a tool that experiences rapid depreciation and planned obsolescence? My grandfathers pick axe on the otherhand cost him less than $1 70 years ago and is still perfectly functional today. I recommend returning your purchase and getting some sharp aged cheddar to go with that whine. Unfortunately if RIM doesn't play such a game and stay relevant we are all going to be stuck with devices which are no more functional than my laser disk player.
    This x10!

11-17-11 06:40 PM

Point taken, but I'm afraid things are not so simple in the case of the Playbook. When the iPad price dropped $100, it was clearly so they could offer the iPad 2 at the same price, likewise with the Kindle...new iterations came out and prices came down a bit.

RIM, on the other hand, is making HUGE price cuts with only one model in production, and it's clearly a reaction to weak sales. It's almost as if they're saying "well I guess this thing is kind of a dud, and we did kind of lie about what it would do... Hey, still wanna buy one if we give it to for half off?"
    11-17-11 06:53 PM
    I would not worry about the price dropping. If you like the device then it should help you like it better.
    Some of the costs are being absorbed by RIM and some by the retailers. In either case, it increases the Playbooks penetration.
    It is a tough market and RIM is going for market penetration. I like it. For this price you could get three Playbooks for one iPad2. Not as many apps but enough for me and with a better browser, speakers, cameras, faster processor, etc.
    Or, you could get ten feature phones for the price of one PlayBook. Put simply, this isn't a compelling argument to make.

Also, to boot, if you have a BB then the bridge feature gives you free access, which for an equivalent 3g model is about $50.00 bucks per month. In other words, you pay for the Playbook 100% after four month.
    Two things. One, iPad 3G data here in the U.S. is $15 or $25 a month (depending on the amount of data you buy) with no contract; even the higher number is nowhere near the $50 you repeatedly (and wrongfully claim). Two, a BB with a voice and data plan, like any smartphone, runs at least $70 a month minimum.

*I got mine on day one full price and if I would still get it tomorrow if I needed a new tablet.
    To remind you all how long ago the PlayBook launch was, back then people still believed that Kindle, NetFlix and Skype apps were around the corner, that BBM or PlayBook was getting its finishing touches, and that native e-mail was "scheduled" for release within 60 days.*
    11-17-11 07:03 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD