Apple:
    -------
    Continues to lead but with a declining share,
    offers a very popular high resolution 'Retina' iPad 3,
    to the high end buyer. $500 - $700

Also offers a low priced, larger iPod Touch at 6" for $249
    that far outsells most other similarly priced tablets.

Microsoft:
    -----------
    Windows 8 Tablets gaining strong momentum with solid offerings.
    Pretty much saves HP's PC division. Tablets very attractive to business and long time PC users.

Google:
    ---------
    Many early Android tablet makers move on to the better selling Windows 8 products,
    after being forced to dump Honeycomb tablets at a loss in early 2012.
    Ice Cream Sandwich tablet makers reducing prices below $300 to sell product.

RIM:
    -----
    While not officially out of the tablet business their focus is on BBX phones.
    OS 2 proved to a be tempered release. Most retailers no longer stocking their tablet devices.
    BBX phones meeting early success but declining business use continues.

What do you think, where will the market be next year?
    Last edited by Sonic77; 11-20-11 at 08:28 AM.
    11-20-11 08:17 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Stick to the day job ....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-11 08:19 AM
    Probably not too far off but who knows a year from now there may be something else that someone is only dreaming about today.
    11-20-11 08:21 AM
    Considering Windows 7/7.5 mango phones haven't made a dent in the mobile OS.

I highly doubt Windows 8 tablets will make a dent unless they are able to sell for $299 or less. The profit margins are too low at $299 and risk are too high without an Eco system.

RIM is likely going to be out of the tablet business all together in a year. The market has spoke.

You are right that many Android Tablet makers will switch to Windows 8 tablets.

In the end, Apple will lower their iPad prices and will dominate the market just like they did with the iPod.

The only reason Android has over taken iOS in the phone market is carrier subsidies and much thinner profit margins.

Like the music/iPod player, Tablets will be mainly sold without carrier subsidy. And if someone sees an iPad roughly the same price as their competitor they will go for thei apple product.

The real question is how much lower will manufacturer go if Apple sells their iPad for $399? I truly believe consumers will still choose a $399 iPad over a $299 Android or Windows 8 tablet.

Maybe $199 is the price. But how many companies can take that risk considering it costs $200 for a 7 inch tablet build and around $280 for a 10 inch tablet.
    11-20-11 08:25 AM
    Generally I think predictions are as useless as opinions, but I think youre wrong about RIM and tablets, as they are becoming a necessity for smartphone survival and RIM is well placed with a tightly integrated tablet/phone team.

Why should they/would they drop tablets? They have the resources to recover from a short term loss. They are pretty much pioneers and have invested in a lot of valuable research and hopefully lessons learned.

Success is always built on failures, although I do not consider this a technical failure, just a very very poor marketing strategy.
    11-20-11 08:44 AM
    You forgot to mention Apple's venture into the 46 to 60 inch tablet market...
    11-20-11 08:50 AM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    hahaha LOL!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-11 08:52 AM
    OP sounds pretty reasonable to me but who knows.

I do wonder whether tablets will ever make a real big splash in business / enterprise use. Even the most wonderful tablet is going to have less utility than a laptop, and with the evolution of the ultrabook segment and other high-performance / small size notebooks I think tablets will have a tough time replacing computers for serious business use.
    11-20-11 08:53 AM
    Funny!

Can't see that happening, the TV market is dead, Apple is smarter than entering it.
    Suggestions that Steve had a revelation that SIRI could save it are far fetched.
    11-20-11 08:53 AM
    I do wonder whether tablets will ever make a real big splash in business / enterprise use. Even the most wonderful tablet is going to have less utility than a laptop, and with the evolution of the ultrabook segment and other high-performance / small size notebooks I think tablets will have a tough time replacing computers for serious business use.
    I agree with you on that.

Even at home I think after using a tablet a while ,
    people realize they are 2nd best to a lightweight laptop
    for even casual uses.

On the go, a phone with a decent sized screen beats carrying a tablet too.
    Last edited by Sonic77; 11-20-11 at 09:09 AM.
    11-20-11 08:58 AM

What can these notebooks/netbooks do that a tablet can not or a future tablet will not? How often do you use the cd/dvd player for business/enterprise on a netbook? What other things do you do for business on a netbook that you can't do or won't be able to do at some point on a tablet?

The battery last longer, no noisy fans, more portable and takes up less space, can be used while walking and carrying it much easier etc.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    11-20-11 09:07 AM
    how bout plug in a usb stick
    11-20-11 09:14 AM
    how bout plug in a usb stick
    You can all ready do that on some tablets or not? If not I'm sure one coming will have it. Thought I mentioned what future ones will do?
    11-20-11 09:18 AM
    some do but most do not. I dont think the ipad ever will and currently the design of the PB wont allow for it
    11-20-11 09:20 AM
    some do but most do not. I dont think the ipad ever will and currently the design of the PB wont allow for it
    Ah I thought some did. I guess I was thinking of future tablets and what they will be able to do. I'm not sure the playbook wouldn't allow for it with an adapter but that remains to be seen yet too.
    11-20-11 09:22 AM
    That's why Windows 8 tablets will succeed
    they will do everything a laptop does and in a method that is familar to users.

No iTunes, no need to install device managers etc.
    11-20-11 09:23 AM
    Ah I thought some did. I guess I was thinking of future tablets and what they will be able to do. I'm not sure the playbook wouldn't allow for it with an adapter but that remains to be seen yet too.

yep future tabs will im sure. and windows 8 will be interesting to see. They might make an huge impact on this market for sure
    11-20-11 09:26 AM
    Amazing, in one sentence you have relegated all of your previous posts to irrelevance.

It's a forum for people to express their opinion, to agree or disagree. To share ideas, problems, solutions and rumours. Everyone deserves a soapbox to be heard. Please carry on....

Generally I think predictions are as useless as opinions
    11-20-11 09:33 AM

You don't need iTunes anymore either with iOS5. Apple has clearly recognize the iTunes factor.

Look Microsoft has billions of dollars. The tablet market is something that has been around for close to a decade. Apple has been the only one to crack it with the masses.

Can Microsoft do it too? Maybe ? But their windows 7 phones have been underperforming.
    11-20-11 09:37 AM
    What can these notebooks/netbooks do that a tablet can not or a future tablet will not? How often do you use the cd/dvd player for business/enterprise on a netbook? What other things do you do for business on a netbook that you can't do or won't be able to do at some point on a tablet?

The battery last longer, no noisy fans, more portable and takes up less space, can be used while walking and carrying it much easier etc.
    Well let's see. The obvious first answer would be having a physical keyboard to type on without using up any real-estate on the screen. The experience of writing or editing long documents or spreadsheets is not even comparable from notebook to tablet. Multi-tasking on a PC is a no-brainer, a feature that is still a pretty big deal for tablets.

A notebook or ultrabook will run full versions of all the usual business software, office products and company-specific applications without needing tablet compatible 'apps'.

Ultrabooks are already super small and light with sexy form factors, HDMI outputs, USB 3.0 ports, wifi, bluetooth, all-day battery life, SSD's, etc. Add touchscreens into the next generation and tablets don't hold onto much of an advantage for a business user for much more than a media player or web browser.

I'm not anti-tablet; I've got a 64GB Playbook and I use it every day; but I'm still hauling around a notebook for work and my next purchase will be some sort of ultrabook or smaller notebook to fill that role. I don't ever expect to be building large spreadsheets or writing long documents on my PB; and industry-specific software I use every day will never be availalble on the Playbook. An actual PC is necessary.
    11-20-11 10:14 AM

These are the laptops referred to.

Like everything else, price will drop once they take off.

It will not happen for a while, but I do believe SSDs will make optical drives obsolete, just as floppy drives are now obsolete.
    11-20-11 10:22 AM
    Windows 8 is the darkhorse. From what I have seen in demos, it's impressive. If Microsoft can leverage XBOX Live for a Windows 8 tablet ecosystem, watchout, it has a huge installed user base.
    11-20-11 10:23 AM

I do wonder whether tablets will ever make a real big splash in business / enterprise use. Even the most wonderful tablet is going to have less utility than a laptop
    It depends on what type of business. I work in healthcare, and if I could enter patient data into my playbook right in their rooms it would shave 30 mins of paperwork off my day. Instead I scribble notes on a clipboard and enter it into the system hours later. Many of the details I forget. There alot of business use cases for a tablet.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    11-20-11 10:45 AM
    It depends on what type of business. I work in healthcare, and if I could enter patient data into my playbook right in their rooms it would shave 30 mins of paperwork off my day. Instead I scribble notes on a clipboard and enter it into the system hours later. Many of the details I forget. There alot of business use cases for a tablet.
    Yes that's a great example of a perfect business use for tablets. In the corporate world they can also be great for viewing documents & presentations, etc on the go. Their weakness though I think is in creating that content.

It will not happen for a while, but I do believe SSDs will make optical drives obsolete, just as floppy drives are now obsolete.
    Yes optical drives are on their way out; cheap and near-disposable USB drives will also speed this process.

The addition of 3G/4G connectivity for Ultrabooks will further blur the line at which a tablet is more convenient than a notebook.
    11-20-11 10:56 AM

Windows 7 didn't succeed as a Tablet OS, neither did Vista or XP. I think the iPad was such a huge success because using Windows has become so tiresome.
    11-20-11 11:00 AM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD