For those who pre-ordered, Staples and Best Buy both have a 14 day technology return policy. For those of us who pre-ordered, assuming a sales date of 4/19 (some retailers might consider it earlier), the return deadline is a week from now - May 3.

Are you keeping your PB? Trading it in for a different capacity? Returning and rebuying to restart the "trial" period?

I, for one, was really looking forward to the PB release - and held off buying a different tablet for many months anticipating the release. I am certainly disappointed with what I have in my hands now - in its current firmware incarnation.

Material Shortfalls:

-Kindle app
    -Skype app (or other usable video conferencing)
    -Browser (can't organize or rename bookmarks, many sites consider it a mobile browser and you can't change the browser identification)
    -GPS is non-functional
    -Serious lack of major apps (Facebook, Twitter, BBM)

I know a lot of this is "coming soon", but I think nearly everything on this list was previously advertised as available at release. There is no real timetable to know what "coming soon" really means.

I like the form factor a lot, and I really like the ability to tether through by BB to get data, and to bridge to my BB to get PIM apps.

This might be an amazing tablet in six months, or it might not be. We just don't know when these "coming soon" things will actually happen, if ever. I've got another week to decide and - right now - I'm leaning towards returning it. I'm not sure if there is anything better out there (maybe an ipad, maybe not), but I'm also not feeling like this is currently worth the $600+ I paid for it.

Where are you guys coming down? Are you feeling pressure to make a decision in the next few days?
    Last edited by rbenjamin; 04-26-11 at 10:27 AM.
    04-26-11 10:24 AM
    They'll get my Playbook when they pry it from my cold, dead hands!!!
    Gucci33 likes this.
    04-26-11 10:25 AM
    Are you keeping your PB? Trading it in for a different capacity? Returning and rebuying to restart the "trial" period?

Where are you guys coming down? Are you feeling pressure to make a decision in the next few days?
    No pressure whatsoever. The Playbook, even in its initial release, is a definite keeper. It meets all my kee requirements today, and I've no concerns that future upgrades won't meet my future needs. RIM is a major player in this market - they will carve out their niche just like every other major player.

Now back to focussing time and energy on more important matters...
    04-26-11 10:29 AM
    Best Buy has stated to me yesterday that it is 30 days for the Playbook.
    04-26-11 10:32 AM
    They told me 14 days but I'm a Silver Member and I thought I had 45 days for the return ?
    04-26-11 10:35 AM
    Just too lazy to call them.
    04-26-11 10:38 AM
    Keeping it as long as I see some apps, bug fixes. email client etc..

Tim
    04-26-11 10:41 AM
    Probably going to return mine and check back in a few months to see if things have sorted themselves out.
    04-26-11 10:45 AM
    I too am watching my return deadline carefully.

Being overly enthused initially, it seems I'm getting more disappointed with the PB the more I use it. Quite frankly, apart from the browser running flash, my Bold 9650 is still way better for me right now, in terms of business uses.

We keep hearing "it is coming" for virtually everything needed to make the PB more useful, but when we consider RIM's history of "not so prime-time ready" products, and how they made them right (or didn't), this may be a gamble that I may not be willing to take.

Just my 2 cents!
    04-26-11 10:46 AM
    Initially I was pretty sure I was going to return the PB...especially after the frozen startup screen, dead pixel scenario. After the first system updae, seems a lot of bugs were fixed. And I've had a better PB experience. Seems almost too good to give up now that I've played with it; offers more than ipad.
    04-26-11 12:22 PM
    uhh return? Why would I return it? IT works up to expectation and some.
    04-26-11 12:23 PM
    So, today is the deadline and I still haven't decided. I was waiting for the update we got this AM to make my decision, but I still can't decide. The big question is if it will continue to improve or be a massive failure and die on the vine. I really can't tell. I've got about $700 tied up in my 32GB plus pod rapid charger.

I guess I'll think about it this afternoon. Staples is open til nine.
    05-03-11 10:51 AM
    Seeing android apps and native email did a good job towards assuaging my fears that they were just now getting started with those two tasks... I think the way the BB experience will be bright to the PlayBook will be a complete solution mimicking what we see on our handhelds. This requires quite a bit more effort then just putting together a POP3/IMAP client to run locally, it means extending their BIS infrastructure to support the PB.

I think summer is a safe estimation and I'd bet we see these things start launching in June, which is just around the corner.

If you're on the edge, do a return and repurchase once to extend your deadline. Not too much lost there and it should get you another update if they plan on rolling out every two weeks...
    05-03-11 11:16 AM
    I've been on the fence about keeping or returning mine. I have until this Friday the 6th. However, after seeing all that has happened since the release date and the few short videos I've seen from BB World I'm convinced that RIM is serious about the PlayBook and I will be keeping mine. The only thing that would make me return it is if they announced a 10" model to be released later this year.

It is only going to get better from here out.
    05-03-11 11:24 AM
    Best Buy has stated to me yesterday that it is 30 days for the Playbook.
    IN Canada its 14 days for tablets at Bestbuy.
    05-03-11 11:30 AM
    Im sure RIM is serious about it and will be constantly trying to make it better and fix stuff. They did the same with both storm phones too but the storm 2 OS got worse as time went on though. more bugs and stuff broke.

From 1710 to 1868 what issues have been resolved in over 150 builds? what issues are still glaring you in the face everytime you pick the device up? $700 is alot for something and i am sure can be used elsewhere. you can always go back and buy a PB 4 months from now and probably have a 10x better experience instead of waiting for things to happen now.

In the end its all up to your needs and wants and how patient you are
    05-03-11 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD