Ive been a faithful bb user for at least 5 years now and absolutely love them. i recently picked up a playbook... and would love to know what the crackberry community uses them for. i usually use it when relaxing at home, on my couch... by surfing the web, scrolling through crackberry forums, checking blackberry news app, and playing words with friends with the 2.0 built-in app player.

what else can i do with this thing? what kinds if stuff do you all do with your pb? im sure there are some practical uses, as well as some uses that are not as well known that i am missing out on.
    CracklePot likes this.
    12-03-11 05:45 PM
    Well, when I go to the mall with my (ughh) wife, I sit outside the Apple store and use their free wi-fi and read my current book, "The Art of War." That's just for starters....
    chrisstanley1987 likes this.
    12-03-11 06:19 PM
    I was at a Sears Canada service centre this week dropping off my vacuum for repairs and the truck driver/techs were using PlayBooks in specially hardened cases (maybe Otterboxes?) for their service order information.

I'd be interested to know what software they were using.
    12-03-11 06:29 PM
    just got mine a week ago and so far im using mostly facebook,twitter, crackberry app(love that) downloaded one album from the music store( surprised at the great selection) 360 news app and i have evernote on my iphone and pc so i downloaded it for playbook as well .also gave slacker a try,not bad.im hoping for pandora and pulse news app. im sure the email,calendar and contacts will be greatly used once 2.0 rolls out.
    12-03-11 06:31 PM
    The Swedes are using it to prevent aliens from stealing milk from the fridge. Practical and unique I think.

12-03-11 06:37 PM
    Ive been a faithful bb user for at least 5 years now and absolutely love them. i recently picked up a playbook... and would love to know what the crackberry community uses them for. i usually use it when relaxing at home, on my couch... by surfing the web, scrolling through crackberry forums, checking blackberry news app, and playing words with friends with the 2.0 built-in app player.

what else can i do with this thing? what kinds if stuff do you all do with your pb? im sure there are some practical uses, as well as some uses that are not as well known that i am missing out on.
    I use phone remote to access my total phone from the playbook, and also since you have a 9900, you can bridge to your phone for accessing the web on you phone's data plan ( when not in a wifi area ).

Take a gander at the below thread for neat tips and tricks with the playbook.

Have fun and welcome to the forums!
    12-03-11 06:46 PM
    I downloaded a free app called "cooktop" and it turns my PB into a handy portable coffee warmer. It's pretty cool how the glass stays cool but it keeps my beverage nice and hot.
    12-03-11 07:05 PM
    i use it to web searches. music. crackberry. i gave up on my pc.
    12-03-11 08:27 PM
    I work outside, so when there are storms in the area, I use my PB to get live local radar. It really comes in handy.
    12-03-11 09:16 PM
    HD video podcasts of beach surf, running at the office while doing other work. Go to the Podcast app and there is a channel with these he videos. Download the videos (about 3 min each) and they are saved and will play even if you are not online. Relaxing an they attract attention ov visitors, where I can then demo the many other features and apps.
    12-03-11 09:36 PM
    Besides the fact that I no longer have to lug my huge laptop, cables and bag, I have found that I did not do as much video chat as I thought. It is awesome to have it and my wife calls me regularly with the kids but what we use it for the most is taking pictures and video. The small size makes it supper portable and I take it everywhere. Even at home I see one of the boys doing something funny and I start filming or taking pictures. We also got BlueBox/DropBox and share the files with my mother-in-law and my dad. They love this feature.
    The Kobo books apps is cool. It works great and the 7" form factor is the best for this. It actually looks like a book in my convertible case. My wife and I are both reading books through it.
    I don't watch movies much but the quality of the video is amazing. I've loaded a couple of movies from my PC and as you know, you can watch movies from Amazon or Google's video store under YouTube.
    My son is addicted to the games and I love to watch him play them. I also get in there with him and we have fun. It is a great, portable, little device.
    He also loves to dance to it. I guess I do pretty much everything with it.
    rjgjr likes this.
    12-03-11 09:45 PM
    oh man let me count the ways. I for one have a car mount and use my pb for music through my car stereo. also for gps and bbming quickly on the big screen. I'm in sales so using the built in spreadsheet to go app I created a write up sheet for keeping track of my customers and what I sell them and ive got it to where it calculates pricing automatically. hdmi out for presentations or movie watching. games, browsing of course. and organkzing my life in general. all these bad reviews of the playbook...outright bull. Bold 9930 +32gb playbook = winning combo
    12-03-11 10:18 PM
    I'm a musician and use it to get ready for upcoming sets; practicing along with the music player and making notations on what I want to do in Word To Go. I've started using it on stage as I perform. The only annoyance is the backlight timeout.

I often use it to surf or read to and from work on the bus; I like the size. It's handy at work also, I can't access personal email, much social media, or some sites from my employers network.

I recently used it in the garage as an aid to a car repair; it was handy for watching videos and as a web reference. Handy where you really don't have a place for a laptop; I rarely use the laptop now.

I continually find new uses for it.
    rjgjr likes this.
    12-03-11 10:39 PM
    My experience is similar to yours, but I also have it with me while traveling. It's nice to leave the laptop home and (wifi or bridge!) have internet access. I also download movies to watch on planes, in hotels, etc., and it helps to keep the kids entertained with the variety of games I have.
    12-03-11 11:26 PM
    With a car mount installed just below my rearview mirror. i use my playbook to stream stock quotes, gps (Magellan), poynt, check news (news 360), browse the web, etc. all while driving and through BRIDGE!
    12-04-11 01:18 AM
    With a car mount installed just below my rearview mirror. i use my playbook to stream stock quotes, gps (Magellan), poynt, check news (news 360), browse the web, etc. all while driving and through BRIDGE!
    Doesn't having the tablet hanging below the rearview mirror obstruct your view out the windshield/windscreen? Just curious.
    12-04-11 07:53 AM
    whats a good site/app for downloading videos or movies? this is something i have yet to find.tried loading one from my pc and clicked on convert.still wouldnt work.it was a digital copy from a dvd i bought.thanks in advance
    12-04-11 09:58 AM
    whats a good site/app for downloading videos or movies? this is something i have yet to find.tried loading one from my pc and clicked on convert.still wouldnt work.it was a digital copy from a dvd i bought.thanks in advance
    Those 'digital copies' are intended to be played by some computer app that can decode the drm on those copies and play them. No decoders are available for the pb.

So you either need to figure out how to remove the drm, or use some computer program to rip the dvd or find sites (moral or legal questions?) that have already done so and make titles available (called torrents). There is also a thread on here somewhere, where someone has posted links to broken videos.
    12-04-11 12:09 PM
    Doesn't having the tablet hanging below the rearview mirror obstruct your view out the windshield/windscreen? Just curious.
    It's not that bad. I attached some pxs. Portability and economical are the main reason why I picked up a playbook instead of an ipad.
    CracklePot and rjgjr like this.
    12-05-11 01:25 AM
    It's not that bad. I attached some pxs. Portability and economical are the main reason why I picked up a playbook instead of an ipad.
    What do you use it for while in your car? I can't imagine watching a movie or anything and there isn't any gps navigation... so I am curious.
    12-05-11 01:31 AM
    What do you use it for while in your car? I can't imagine watching a movie or anything and there isn't any gps navigation... so I am curious.
    Streaming quotes (Merrill Lynch) through browser + browse the net (multiple tabs open) Magellan GPS (Slow but it does the work), News 360, poynt, mp4 videos and sometimes video record passengers without them knowing it,lol. All through bridge and a very convenient swipe!
    12-05-11 01:44 AM
    Yesterday i was with a friend driving to a city about an hour away. She pulled my PB out of the center console and used it to lookup...
    Did she even ask permission before grabbing your tablet and using it for her own entertainment? Not sure the outcome would have been the same if you had grabbed her tablet though.
    12-05-11 07:24 AM
    I use mine (64 gig) bridged for my messages, and surfing of course. Right now, I'm sitting in the car while wife is in her office on an errand. Just found local branch of our bank with Poynt. I also use it to do presentations for my home based business. Ripped the DVD others use. The HDMI outout rocks for this!

Couldn't imagine not having it. I carry it everywhere!

Later,
    B.
    12-05-11 08:56 AM
    Nice, but illegal here in Canada!
    12-05-11 09:17 AM
    I use it on the road,

- Magellan Compass to know where are my customers ( Tomtom not updated )
    - Browser to access my day work schedule and surfing
    - Citrix for work app
    - My local newspaper to read something when at lunch
    - Antair nightstand when sleeping at lodge
    - Games to chillout at lodge or between some client
    - bridge for corporate mail
    - music ( In car ) and video for personal entertainement
    etc...
    12-05-11 09:36 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD