So, I just returned from playing around with the PlayBook at a local staples store here in Connecticut (Norwalk to be specific). While there playing with the screen that everyone is stuck on, I decided to take some pictures using my Droid X. They aren't the best pictures, but I specifically targeted the power button to give everyone a good angle of the button itself.

I have to say that while the button is small, it was NOT in any way hard to press. I must have hit it 50 times and only failed to press it about 2-3 times total. I did long holds and quick taps. There is no feedback while pressing in the button, but once you let go it will give you a little click if you have pressed it successfully.

Pictures below...
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 04-15-11 at 04:37 PM.
    doug1010, takos, Mhotep and 5 others like this.
    04-15-11 01:49 PM
    Crybaby reviewers.
    04-15-11 02:04 PM
    The way some of those reviewers were talking I was expecting a button comparable to the time setting buttons on car radios that you need a pen to actually press.

That button looks quite reasonable.
    04-15-11 02:08 PM
    Unbelievable how reviewers can stick to any stupid thing to complain about... That button looks fine. I wonder why the whole issue of the button was never brought up at any of the other events in which the PlayBook was shown off.
    04-15-11 02:16 PM
    Some Achilles' heel, huh? Go figure.
    04-15-11 02:19 PM
    Unbelievable how reviewers can stick to any stupid thing to complain about... That button looks fine. I wonder why the whole issue of the button was never brought up at any of the other events in which the PlayBook was shown off.
    But i mean thats what reviewers are supposed to do right?
    Just most of them exaggerated the power button issue SO MUCH.
    04-15-11 02:26 PM
    I thought this thing was supposed to be portable? What is with that huge metal superstructure? How on earth are you supposed to put it in your pocket with that huge thing on it?
    04-15-11 02:29 PM
    I thought this thing was supposed to be portable? What is with that huge metal superstructure? How on earth are you supposed to put it in your pocket with that huge thing on it?
    You're joking, right?

If you're being serious, it's a lovely metal superstructure that Staples has attached to it so that anastasiophan does not run away with the playbook
    04-15-11 02:31 PM
    Enterprise ready.

Fits in Suit's jacket pockets.
    04-15-11 02:32 PM
    You're joking, right?

If you're being serious, it's a lovely metal superstructure that Staples has attached to it so that anastasiophan does not run away with the playbook
    It's on there pretty securely too. I tried pull and prying it off to no avail.....Damn you Staples and your stupid security measures!
    04-15-11 02:41 PM
    I don't think that I would have mentioned the power button if I was a reviewer. It was a little bit of a PITA but not much. I would rather it be harder to turn off than be faced with accidently turning the thing off when you don't want to. It seems like some units will have a raised power button and some won't. I wouldn't be upset if mine was not raised.

All I know is that after seeing one (just the screens up to the licence screen) and holding it in my hands, I really, really want one.
    04-15-11 02:48 PM
    LOL. In the pictures, it hardly looks bad.
    04-15-11 02:59 PM
    I really wasn't bad at all. I'm not kidding when I say that if I were reviewing the unit, I never would have mentioned a problem with the power button even if I was being super critical. It's so overblown it's not even funny!
    04-15-11 03:32 PM
    How fat are their fingers?
    04-15-11 03:54 PM
    The button should be bigger, BUT its not a deal breaker for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-11 03:57 PM
    Geez what a non-issue! I used to think that the media being pro-Apple was just nonsense but now I'm not so sure.

There were some complaints about the on screen keyboard not having numbers without having to go into a 2nd "layer" also. I was looking at an iPad again today and their keyboard is the exact same way! Also there was a mention of the KB taking half of the on-screen space when in landscape mode, once again the iPad is the exact same. Why is the PlayBook being held to a different standard by the media and then being criticized for not meeting it?

04-15-11 04:04 PM
    I am stopping by the Vernon store on my way home from work tonight
    04-15-11 04:06 PM
    I went to a Staples today looking for a demo unit and they told me Sunday they will put it out. They also claimed Sunday is the "street date" and they will be able to sell them that day.

04-15-11 04:08 PM
    I went to a Staples today looking for a demo unit and they told me Sunday they will put it out. They also claimed Sunday is the "street date" and they will be able to sell them that day.

They won't be able to though. I was told Monday until I asked them to look closer and they came back and said Tuesday.
    04-15-11 04:20 PM
    I just had my first hands-on with the playbook and I honestly don't know what reviewers are complaining about. Even though the button is flush with the device it's extremely easy to press it with your finger pads unless you have excessively fat fingers!

The rep was running an old version of the of (.1500) and said they told him not upgrade or else he won't be able to access it anymore (he'll be stuck on the agreement screen)

04-15-11 05:45 PM
    I know you're joking, but the PB is not ready for today's enterprise. Everyone is moving to the cloud. Try running a XenDesktop on that tiny *** screen. Oh, and that's IF Citrix will even bother with developing an access gateway for it.
    Suck it troll. Also, "In a community blog post yesterday afternoon, Citrix Vice President of Community and Solutions Development, Chris Fleck, stated that the Citrix Receiver application is headed for Research In Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook."

04-15-11 06:11 PM
    Suck it troll. Also, "In a community blog post yesterday afternoon, Citrix Vice President of Community and Solutions Development, Chris Fleck, stated that the Citrix Receiver application is headed for Research In Motion's BlackBerry PlayBook."

LOL

Very Nice hahaha
    04-15-11 06:14 PM
    Trolls ruin everything!

04-15-11 09:36 PM
    To try and bring this thread back onto track....

I intend on pressing the power button once... sometime on tuesday morning
    04-15-11 09:45 PM
    Again, the power button is such a non issue. If it was bigger it would be too easy to hit. Right now its perfect!

04-15-11 10:12 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD