[Edit] The event has come and gone, click here for the full impressions: http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/bl...-event-567302/ [/edit]

Hey all,

I'm attending the BlackBerry PlayBook event in Toronto tomorrow, and if all goes well, I should have the chance to pester RIM employees about all those nagging questions you need/want to know.

If there's anything specific you want to know hardware/software wise, post them here and I'll try to get as many questions as possible answered for everybody.

Let's keep the questions interesting and make sure they haven't already been answered somewhere already.

I'll select the best 5-10 questions and post here after the event with the answers.

Go nuts!

Cheers,

Andrew
    BlingBerry Themes
    Last edited by hastings; 12-15-10 at 06:20 PM.
    wayoung, ALCie, mover23 and 2 others like this.
    12-13-10 02:07 PM
    I think that post deserves a thanks!

Edit: Here's one. While on your home wifi network can you transfer/stream files/music/videos to and from your pc or is th eplaybook OS incompatible with windows?
    Last edited by wayoung; 12-13-10 at 02:21 PM.
    12-13-10 02:12 PM
    What client will it use for video conferencing? BBM only?
    12-13-10 02:34 PM
    Will QNX support running two apps side by side, not just in tiles or in the background?
    12-13-10 02:51 PM
    What about the tethering function and data. Will it bis data so the carrier can't tell if its coming from the bb or pb? Also how about a more defiant release date.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 07:04 PM
    Will push services be available thru WIFI or only when tethered thru your BB
    12-13-10 07:08 PM
    Since there is no slot for a micro-SD card, will it support external USB hard drives or other external flash memory? If not on release, an update? Never?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 07:10 PM
    Will push services be available thru WIFI or only when tethered thru your BB
    +1 I would like to know as well...
    12-13-10 07:14 PM
    Good questions here.

Keep them coming, I'll make sure to ask as many as I can.
    12-13-10 08:57 PM
    Here's one. While on your home wifi network can you transfer/stream files/music/videos to and from your pc or is th eplaybook OS incompatible with windows?
    I can answer that one for you. On the BlackBerry website they stated the PlayBook supports DLNA media streaming. This means that with the right software you can stream media from a computer.

In the less confirmed category, I've also noticed that the simulator has a Samba (Windows file sharing) server on it. Additionally, Dan Dodge mentioned the ability to play media from network shares during the Devcon QNX deep dive session. I didn't attend that one myself though, that's just what I saw reported.

For questions, I'd try and find out what sensors it has. We know it has an accelerometer, and it was suggested it had a compass during a dev webcast. Maybe try to get a firm answer on on compass and gyroscope.
    12-13-10 09:05 PM
    I wonder if Kevin and/or CB staff will get chance to sit down with PB like, BGR and All Things Digital.
    12-13-10 09:25 PM
    i am sure kevin will get an advanced copy once its "polished" enough for him to review it. Even RIM wouldnt be stupid enough to give him a playbook not ready for primetime.
    12-13-10 09:29 PM
    i am sure kevin will get an advanced copy once its "polished" enough for him to review it. Even RIM wouldnt be stupid enough to give him a playbook not ready for primetime.
    Oh for sure! But, I meant the informal sit-down/Q&A video that BGR and All Things Digital posted.
    Last edited by Detective M Downs; 12-15-10 at 07:20 AM.
    12-14-10 07:04 AM
    [QUOTE=taylortbb;5863262]In the less confirmed category, I've also noticed that the simulator has a Samba (Windows file sharing) server on it. Additionally, Dan Dodge mentioned the ability to play media from network shares during the Devcon QNX deep dive session. I didn't attend that one myself though, that's just what I saw reported./QUOTE]

What other Windows (read "Enterprise") support is built in or in the works from applications? RDP? VPN?

Also, external devices? Storage, printers, wired network, dsl connections (eth or usb)...either from the device or docking station.

etc. etc.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 12-14-10 at 07:25 AM.
    12-14-10 07:21 AM
    When is the Playbook 2 coming out? The one where everything is fixed.
    12-14-10 08:34 AM
    Will you be able to stream netflix shows on it or will it be limited to the same app currently on the bb
    12-14-10 09:25 AM
    Will you be able to stream netflix shows on it or will it be limited to the same app currently on the bb
    I don't think that's something RIM can answer, that's a question for Netflix. They're the ones that have to write the app.
    12-14-10 12:24 PM
    Will it be available at popular retailers like amazon.com, best buy, walmart and target?
    12-14-10 10:07 PM
    Will it be available at popular retailers like amazon.com, best buy, walmart and target?
    that's a question that probably has an answer that fluctuates over time and is unlikely to have a definitive answer by RIM at this time. ****, Costco recently announced they are ending the sale of all Apple products.
    12-15-10 10:07 AM
    Any updates from the event yet?
    12-15-10 11:46 AM
    Hey all,

I have the answers to most of the questions from the event yesterday. I'm just utterly slammed with work at the moment. Expect a post tonight regarding my impressions of the PlayBook in it's current state!
    mover23, The_Engine and dkingsf like this.
    12-15-10 12:38 PM
    Subscribed. Want to hear more....
    12-15-10 02:19 PM
    12-15-10 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD