The reason I ask is that my parents have a tv with usb connection in their bedroom. My dad has a 64GB Playbook (as do I, my 2 daughters and my nephew - 5 in the one family - that has to be a glowing endorsement of the Playbook) which I put a lot of videos on for he and my mum to watch; Modern Family season one, a few movies, all 720 or 1080 mkvs converted to stereo sound. He called last night to say he'd tried connecting the Playbook to the tv and it came up on the (Playbook) screen saying it was installing drivers and nothing else. Now those drivers are never going to install on a tv, of course.

So I was wondering is there any way the Playbook can be attached as an external storage device to allow the videos to be played on a tv?
    01-20-13 09:12 AM
    Hi Mick

Yes, you can use the PB as an external storage device to transfer files to a PC...

BUT....

Does your parents' tv have an HDMI port?

Just buy a "Micro HDMI (Type D) to HDMI (Type A) High Speed - Full HD 1080p" cable, and then you can watch the content on the tv

Hope this helps

Alex
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 01-20-13 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
    01-20-13 09:21 AM
    I think BigAl's solution is where you're going to have to go. The playbook is attempting to install drivers because it is going to want a password to allow you to connect to an external device (i.e. computer) for security reasons. Doubt the tv is capable of that. Get a bluetooth mouse to control the player on playbook and attach it to the tv with hdmi cable and you'll be good to go.
    Mickrick likes this.
    01-20-13 10:55 AM
    Yeah micro-hdmi - hdmi cales are only a few pounds each so I'll order myself one at the same time.
    01-20-13 12:38 PM
    Or he could control it via Bridge Remote Control if they own a BlackBerry phone.
    01-20-13 03:43 PM
    The PB storage can be shared wired or wirelessly. The PB has drivers for PC and mac on the device so that they can be installed on initial connection. If the TV have ethernet or wifi, you should be able to use it to see the playbook share, assuming that you enable the share in the PB settings.
    01-20-13 06:00 PM
    If all they want to do is watch the videos that are stored on the Playbook the the HDMI solution is much better than any file transfer method.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-20-13 10:18 PM