Hi

I have Playbook 64Gb. Is it possible to create sub-folders in the video folder and/or music folder so to organise. For example, I have some films, some family video clips, some pet videos and would like to keep them in separate files. For the music file, I would like to have different types of music so I can choose depending on my mood etc.

So, are sub-folders possible, pls? If so, how to create? Or, has anyone got a work-around?

I have got FileManager app but I can't see that this does what I want. I'm happy to get an app if there is one that would do this.

Thanks very much
    Last edited by GooseberryFool; 12-07-12 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Closed window before finishing ;)
    12-07-12 05:43 AM
    Yes, you can do this. For free file managers in app world, try Air Browser for basic functionality or Ghost Commander for much greater functionality.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    12-07-12 06:26 AM
    While you can create Folders and subfolders for your own purposes, the Photo app is the only one that recognizes them and uses them a ALBUMS (birthday, vacation, etc). The Music app uses mp3 tags so you can see Genre, artist, album based on mp3 tags.

As mentioned, some of the file managers can both create folders, move files into them and, some of them will launch the appropriate app based on the file type, so you can navigate around in a file manager and launch the files from there.
    12-07-12 09:06 AM
    OP, if you are asking what I think you're asking, then no, you can't arrange pics/vids/music in the native apps the way we all want to... BB10 will fix this FOR SURE
    BerryClever likes this.
    12-07-12 09:39 AM
    Files & Folders v6.0 has a built-in audio & video player that will play your locally stored files, or even stream from the cloud. And of course you can organize your audio & video into folders, like any decent file manager. Take the free trial version for a spin to see whether it works for you:
    BerryClever likes this.
    12-07-12 11:54 AM
    OP, if you are asking what I think you're asking, then no, you can't arrange pics/vids/music in the native apps the way we all want to... BB10 will fix this FOR SURE
    This is not at all true. You can create subfolders and organize files into them. What is true is that many native PB apps use the native File Manager app to select files to open, and File Manager does not show you the PB's file structure. This is NOT true for all Native apps, though- some will show you the PB's file structure and you can navigate to the folder or subfolders that you're looking for (and I'm not including the Pictures app that F2 referred to, since it is very limited in this sense).
    12-07-12 12:56 PM
    Wow, you have all been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

@SlcCorrado - yes, you are spot-on re what I was asking

I had previously downloaded Air Browser and Ghost Commander but hadn't appreciated one of them would be a good place to start! So, I have tried both and settled for GC for just now.

However, as you have each said, they both have limitations in the Playbook. I had read most of the thread re Files and Folders v6 but, again because of being stupid, I hadn't appreciated the implications re possibly benefitting from the built in audio and video players. So, yes, I have just downloaded the trial while typing this, will give it a whirl and then, if I find it more useful (as I suspect I will), will be happy to pay the �3.00 (UK) Thank you Innovatology for the info re the benefits etc.

It will be interesting to see if/when BB10 is available for our Playbooks and also to see what it will be capable of.

I'm really loving have my Playbook. I've not used anything Blackberry before but I have a fascination for the challenge of different operating systems. Also, I get so much satisfaction when managing to get the Playbook to do something that someone has told me it can't do!!! I'm not that techie but do find it all very engrossing. I couldn't do any of this without the help of the various forums though, so I'm very grateful that this forum is such an active one and that you are all happy sharing your knowledge and experience.

Cheers
    Innovatology likes this.
    12-07-12 01:44 PM
    Wow, you have all been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

@SlcCorrado - yes, you are spot-on re what I was asking

I had previously downloaded Air Browser and Ghost Commander but hadn't appreciated one of them would be a good place to start! So, I have tried both and settled for GC for just now.

However, as you have each said, they both have limitations in the Playbook. I had read most of the thread re Files and Folders v6 but, again because of being stupid, I hadn't appreciated the implications re possibly benefitting from the built in audio and video players. So, yes, I have just downloaded the trial while typing this, will give it a whirl and then, if I find it more useful (as I suspect I will), will be happy to pay the �3.00 (UK) Thank you Innovatology for the info re the benefits etc.

It will be interesting to see if/when BB10 is available for our Playbooks and also to see what it will be capable of.

I'm really loving have my Playbook. I've not used anything Blackberry before but I have a fascination for the challenge of different operating systems. Also, I get so much satisfaction when managing to get the Playbook to do something that someone has told me it can't do!!! I'm not that techie but do find it all very engrossing. I couldn't do any of this without the help of the various forums though, so I'm very grateful that this forum is such an active one and that you are all happy sharing your knowledge and experience.

Cheers
    Careful, its rectangular shape makes it hard to use as a frisbee!
    12-07-12 02:52 PM
    managing to get the Playbook to do something that someone has told me it can't do!!!

Careful, its rectangular shape makes it hard to use as a frisbee!
    Ha! So that's where I've been going wrong ???
    12-07-12 05:15 PM
    This is not at all true. You can create subfolders and organize files into them. What is true is that many native PB apps use the native File Manager app to select files to open, and File Manager does not show you the PB's file structure. This is NOT true for all Native apps, though- some will show you the PB's file structure and you can navigate to the folder or subfolders that you're looking for (and I'm not including the Pictures app that F2 referred to, since it is very limited in this sense).
    Yeah I think most people are aware of that. But it didn't answer the question
    12-07-12 07:41 PM
    Sure it did. The question was whether he could create subfolders to organize his files into- the answer is yes. You said "no".
    12-07-12 09:07 PM
    For music, what I do is plug the PB into a laptop, Then open the main PB music folder and create a load of new folders , rename them to whatever you want and fill them with what ever music you want, then put a little picture in the folder , but the picture must be called "Folder", and the music tracks have to have the album name (what you have named the folder) in the properties ,
    when you open the music player , voilla, all the folders have become albums:
    ? Possible to create sub- folders to organise videos and music?-img_00000135.jpg
    12-07-12 10:24 PM
    For music, what I do is plug the PB into a laptop, Then open the main PB music folder and create a load of new folders , rename them to whatever you want and fill them with what ever music you want, then put a little picture in the folder , but the picture must be called "Folder", and the music tracks have to have the album name (what you have named the folder) in the properties ,
    when you open the music player , voilla, all the folders have become albums:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000135.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	127626
    Thanks very much for this suggestion. I haven't had time to try it out as yet, but will have a go within the next couple of days, I hope

Cheers
    12-09-12 09:20 AM