I really cant believe these articles and I have commnted on most of them

How this can be called a review of reviews is beyond me.

The BlackBerry PlayBook: review of reviews - Telegraph

I'm not sure how this can actually be called a review either

BlackBerry Playbook tablet review - Telegraph

06-15-11 11:57 AM
    I really cant believe these articles and I have commnted on most of them

How this can be called a review of reviews is beyond me.

The BlackBerry PlayBook: review of reviews - Telegraph

I'm not sure how this can actually be called a review either

BlackBerry Playbook tablet review - Telegraph

this seems pretty fair to me. I think too many people expect "glowing" reviews like this is the currently a finished and perfect tablet. Sorry but its not and the reviews are going to show this.
    06-15-11 12:01 PM
    The "herpes of tablets", says CNN:
    That was nasty!
    06-15-11 12:03 PM
    Didn't the telegraph die out in the 1930s? What would they know about new technology!
    tharrison4815 likes this.
    06-15-11 12:05 PM
    "That’s until you turn the thing on. A series of shorthand gestures – swipe one way to get to a certain menu, another to get to another – is supposed to make using the PlayBook effortless. In practice it takes so much getting used to that one could be forgiven for giving up."

Doh! I hope he remembers that when it comes time to review WebOS, Windows 8, OSX Lion, iOS5, etc...

He's probably still trying to figure out that whole riding a bike trick too...
    Last edited by Blacklac; 06-15-11 at 12:10 PM.
    06-15-11 12:06 PM
    this seems pretty fair to me. I think too many people expect "glowing" reviews like this is the currently a finished and perfect tablet. Sorry but its not and the reviews are going to show this.
    How is it fair? Half the features of the are not even mentioned.

Only the negatives are picked up on and there are very little in the way of positives. On one hand they call a review of reviews yet include that article from CNN. The herpes of tablets. In what part does any of that constitute a fair review?

Maybe it's me but I don't see it as fair in any way.
    06-15-11 12:09 PM
    That’s until you turn the thing on. A series of shorthand gestures – swipe one way to get to a certain menu, another to get to another – is supposed to make using the PlayBook effortless. In practice it takes so much getting used to that one could be forgiven for giving up

After reading the above, I did not want to read any further as it was obvious the person reviewing this was inept, and should probably be walking around with a crash helmet and water wings, as they sound like they are a few french fries short of a Happy Meal!
    yzf.shaun and tstrike34 like this.
    06-15-11 12:09 PM
    I disagree, give the playbook to 10 people with Zero prior knowledge and watch them try to navigate it! ****, go to BestBuy and watch them try to even get back to the homescreen without asking for help. Fact is, its not intuitive and has to be taught. The initial boot helps in that regard but customers at a store don't see that.

After reading the above, I did not want to read any further as it was obvious the person reviewing this was inept, and should probably be walking around with a crash helmet and water wings, as they sound like they are a few french fries short of a Happy Meal!
    06-15-11 12:17 PM
    look at the positive comments

So it looks and feels like a really professional-grade device
    because the operating software itself is slick, whether its editing documents or playing music.
    This is what stuck in my mind after reading the article. Its a positive outlook that shows the PB should hold a good future.
    Critics, however, would be foolish to write off the PlayBook. Corporate apps, from RBS to many others, are already impressive because the company has capitalised on rich relationships in those sort of markets. Accessory makers, too, are excited by the PlayBook because its users are likely to be well-heeled. Proper email is coming soon as well. RIM are playing a longer game here.
    wasted might be a little harsh but the NDK is not out and most apps currently dont take advantage of what hardware the PB has.
    So the PlayBook is in some ways a lovely device, whose fine hardware is wasted on today’s software.
    I honestly think some of you look for the bad things in the reviews and focus on them so you can say the article is trash while you ignore the good comments
    06-15-11 12:17 PM
    The reviewer can't figure out how to "swipe"? It took me all but half a day to figure it out enough without really thinking about it. I bet he still gets confused in which direction to swipe his @ss after taking a S***.

Bridge is a work around for email? LOL! most of the bad reviews come from ppl that don't even know how to really dip into the features of the PB. Their simplified minds are suited perfect for a simplified (i)OS .
    Last edited by ummie4; 06-15-11 at 12:27 PM.
    06-15-11 12:25 PM
    Title edited, lets not evade the filter please and remember CB is a family friendly forum!

As for the reviews, the first one was just a list of quotes from other sources some good some not so good. The "review" wasn't THAT bad and was pretty much in line with what the US mainstream blogs and such are saying. Could be great, but it's not ready yet, needs software updates. Least that's how I read it!
    howarmat, trsbbs, blackmoe and 3 others like this.
    06-15-11 12:31 PM
    I disagree, give the playbook to 10 people with Zero prior knowledge and watch them try to navigate it! ****, go to BestBuy and watch them try to even get back to the homescreen without asking for help. Fact is, its not intuitive and has to be taught. The initial boot helps in that regard but customers at a store don't see that.
    And I disagree... Give the playbook to an 8 yr old and see how long it takes them to figure it out.

Just because people are ******** does not mean its not intuitive.

I setup an Iphone for a new user and two days later they come and ask me how to get out of an app. I tell them that the only button on the front of the device does this. Intuition would tell *me* to try pressing a button and see what it does.
    06-15-11 12:34 PM
    Is anybody surprised that the British media is going to pan the PlayBook? RIM have had ages to sort out the criticisms of the PlayBook before launching it internationally - but they didn't bother. If they get bad write ups, they're deserved.
    trsbbs likes this.
    06-15-11 12:34 PM
    I'm assuming the person who wrote the review of the Blackberry tablet went through the "normal" review process where you start from the beginning, and unwrap the package and follow the instructions. If they did, the boot up demo is quite sufficient in getting a person up and running very quickly. As far as your comment about people in the store not knowing what to do, I would say the same could be said for any tablet, including the iPad. When it comes to technological gadgets, there is always some functionality that is not necessarily intuitive and has to be learned. Big deal... That's how technology works. Whether it's a mobile phone, tablet, laptop, portable GPS, there is a small learning curve at the beginning. But for a reviewer to have that much difficulty with Playbooks gestures? C'mon.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 06-15-11 at 12:38 PM.
    06-15-11 12:36 PM
    And I disagree... Give the playbook to an 8 yr old and see how long it takes them to figure it out.

Just because people are ******** does not mean its not intuitive.
    I setup an Iphone for a new user and two days later they come and ask me how to get out of an app. I tell them that the only button on the front of the device does this. Intuition would tell *me* to try pressing a button and see what it does.
    While you make valid points LOL, the average user will be confused by the gestures unless they do a little research.
    06-15-11 12:40 PM
    "That�s until you turn the thing on. A series of shorthand gestures � swipe one way to get to a certain menu, another to get to another � is supposed to make using the PlayBook effortless. In practice it takes so much getting used to that one could be forgiven for giving up."
    Seriously? It took me all of 30 seconds to get the gestures down. There's even a 2 minute tutorial that explains it all.

Swipe your finger to the right to scroll open apps to the right takes much getting used to? Swiping up scrolls down makes you want to give up?

What kind of chimp passes for a tech reviewer across the pond eh?
    ummie4 likes this.
    06-15-11 12:42 PM
    Once the concept of a gesture (or swiping) is explained - every single motion is intuitive. I showed my 3 year old the concept and she can now pop open various web sites and scroll around. She's Three!

The same could be said for the iphone/ ipad and that the little button on the bottom being the back button.
    06-15-11 12:46 PM
    Considering that the initial process requires a 200+mb download I'm hesitant to agree that RIM are sending out unactivated units for review. It's possible I suppose but I would think that would just be something else for reveiwers to complain about.

I somewhat agree about other tablets, I myself have stumbled over the xoom interface, I also had a problem with the PB when I first touched it in the store (the photos app, couldn't figure out how to go back to the main gallery from a full photo, turned out to be a glitch that a reboot fixed). As for the iPad, i'm guessing pressing the button is pretty instinctual compared to an updard swipe. I'm going to test this theory on strangers and film the results. I guarantee 9 out of 10 can't get to the playbook homescreen without being told how.

I'm assuming the person who wrote the review of the Blackberry tablet went through the "normal" review process where you start from the beginning, and unwrap the package and follow the instructions. If they did, the boot up demo is quite sufficient in getting a person up and running very quickly. As far as your comment about people in the store not knowing what to do, I would say the same could be said for any tablet, including the iPad. When it comes to technological gadgets, there is always some functionality that is not necessarily intuitive and has to be learned. Big deal... That's how technology works. Whether it's a mobile phone, tablet, laptop, portable GPS, there is a small learning curve at the beginning. But for a reviewer to have that much difficulty with Playbooks gestures? C'mon.
    06-15-11 12:47 PM
    In practice it takes so much getting used to that one could be forgiven for giving up.

My god, really? How did the reviewer manage to learn how to tie his shoes? Wait he is still probably on velcros
    smcaul likes this.
    06-15-11 12:49 PM
    Agreed, ONCE its explained. Give that same 3 year old an iphone and no explaination will be necessary (so i hear). The point of this thread tho is do we need more gestures? I think it will merely add to confusion, why use "right turn" or "left turn" gestures when simple multitouch gestures would do the same thing. 2 finger swipe to sleep for example. Forget u-turn or zig-zag gestures, just keep it simple. No one knows how to use it UNTIL they're shown how as it is, why compound that?.

Once the concept of a gesture (or swiping) is explained - every single motion is intuitive. I showed my 3 year old the concept and she can now pop open various web sites and scroll around. She's Three!

The same could be said for the iphone/ ipad and that the little button on the bottom being the back button.
    06-15-11 12:53 PM
    In practice it takes so much getting used to that one could be forgiven for giving up.

My god, really? How did the reviewer manage to learn how to tie his shoes? Wait he is still probably on velcros
    I am sure ******** comments like that in reviews generate more revenue traffic to the site than well written reviews. This thread proves that lol, they probably got a thousand hits from CB members alone.

At least I hope that explains comments like that haha
    06-15-11 12:54 PM
    Agreed, ONCE its explained. Give that same 3 year old an iphone and no explaination will be necessary (so i hear). The point of this thread tho is do we need more gestures? I think it will merely add to confusion, why use "right turn" or "left turn" gestures when simple multitouch gestures would do the same thing. 2 finger swipe to sleep for example. Forget u-turn or zig-zag gestures, just keep it simple. No one knows how to use it UNTIL they're shown how as it is, what compound that.
    They still need to be shown that the button is the back button.
    06-15-11 12:55 PM
    I am sure ******** comments like that in reviews generate more revenue traffic to the site than well written reviews. This thread proves that lol, they probably got a thousand hits from CB members alone.

At least I hope that explains comments like that haha
    Bingo!

It's all about clicks and money. RIM-hate generates clicks; Apple-love generates clicks. These are fashionable things to write about. It's called the monetization of fanboyism/hating. Be prepared to see more and more of these garbage "articles".
    Last edited by Intosh; 06-15-11 at 01:16 PM.
    06-15-11 01:05 PM
    If they did, the boot up demo is quite sufficient in getting a person up and running very quickly.
    Right, not to mention the big shiny "Help" icon that will link you to all of the demos and such after it has been setup..
    06-15-11 01:12 PM
    For someone who doesn't even have a Playbook you sure seem to chime in a lot about the Playbook. IMO and after using several of the Android tablets that you seem to favor I find they are laggy, clunky and are nowhere near as good as the Playbook.
    eduardo53 likes this.
    06-15-11 01:28 PM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD