View Poll Results: Will there be USB OTG or not?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will be included inthe official 2.0 release

5 13.89%
  • It will not be released in the official 2.0 release

5 13.89%
  • It will come at some point later

21 58.33%
  • It will never come

5 13.89%
    What do you think? Is it gonna be in OS 2.0 or not? Or coming later, or not at all?
    01-12-12 03:45 PM
    Of course we all hope it comes with 2.0 update ... but if it doesn'nt you can always use something like wifi-usb card reader. For example the airstash , and also cheaper brands. It says right on the page that it works with PB 2.0.

AirStash�: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more
    ralfyguy likes this.
    01-12-12 03:58 PM
    I'm hoping but I'm skeptical. This feature really should be included.
    01-12-12 04:01 PM
    If they can find a way to block it via BES policy, I say RIM should do it. Win for the consumers, and gives businesses the power to turn the option on or off.

EDIT: It would be enabled for me
    EDIT 2: For testing purposes of course...
    Last edited by iggypop; 01-12-12 at 04:08 PM. Reason: the truth
    01-12-12 04:06 PM
    I'm hoping but I'm skeptical. This feature really should be included.
    I am the same way. It is not mentioned officially, so I am not positive about it. One would think that id it were, they would have showed it off already. I don't know how many other tablets out there have the ability, but think there isn't too many. So that would be another feature that would be advertised and shown off to brag about it compared to the competition. The fact that no RIM officials said anything about it at CES lets me not being hopeful. That was something I was really hoping for, more than any popular games and stuff.
    01-12-12 04:11 PM
    I am the same way. It is not mentioned officially, so I am not positive about it. One would think that id it were, they would have showed it off already. I don't know how many other tablets out there have the ability, but think there isn't too many. So that would be another feature that would be advertised and shown off to brag about it compared to the competition. The fact that no RIM officials said anything about it at CES lets me not being hopeful. That was something I was really hoping for, more than any popular games and stuff.
    Yup, agree with this 100%. One thing that also has me confused is why this is seemingly so difficult to implement. If there is no hardware limitation, then file system access should be pretty straight forward so what gives?
    01-12-12 04:26 PM
    Yup, agree with this 100%. One thing that also has me confused is why this is seemingly so difficult to implement. If there is no hardware limitation, then file system access should be pretty straight forward so what gives?
    I wish I knew. I know nothing about coding. I wish I did though. Shoulda gotten a different education.
    01-12-12 07:32 PM
    I say there's no way it's coming in 2.0. If at this point they aren't confident enough to announce it when they announced the features of 2.0, it would take a miracle to get it implemented in time, especially since they should only be updating the software for bug fixes in the last few weeks before releasing.

On the other hand, I believe that it will come. There's been demos, which proves there's been at least some work on it, and there's enough interest that I believe it will come eventually.
    01-12-12 07:44 PM
    Actually USB is an insanely complex standard. There are thousand page books on programming it. I suspect they are making sure that there are no exploits in the communication system between devices and the playbook. It would probably be possible to exploit like that if the code sucked but on the other hand I would imagine that the protocol would be robust enough to protect against such things.

EDIT: Even worst case scenario I would expect them to have it ready by now seeing as how the rooters got it working with a simple script utilizing built in functionality of the playbook. It is in there but not enabled for one reason or another. I would say OS2
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 01-12-12 at 10:04 PM.
    01-12-12 10:00 PM
    EDIT: Even worst case scenario I would expect them to have it ready by now seeing as how the rooters got it working with a simple script utilizing built in functionality of the playbook. It is in there but not enabled for one reason or another. I would say OS2
    The problem is that what the rooters enabled is very clearly beta. Crashes all the time and sucks all your RAM. That's why RIM hasn't enabled it yet, they're still working on it. The rooters didn't add anything to the PB, they just turned on what was already there and disabled (obviously because of all the issues).
    01-12-12 10:48 PM
    i hope that they do add it as well because i only got the 16gb and thats quickly filling up. wished i had zplurged for the higher capacity ones. usb otg would solve this problem.
    01-12-12 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD