View Poll Results: How long did you think it would take RIM to get all the updates out

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Within the first month -

1 1.09%
  • Within 2-4 months

42 45.65%
  • Before the end of the year

44 47.83%
  • OMG, you mean I can't have it all now? Now what am I going to do?

5 5.43%
    Alright, I am soooooo tired of all the whining going on. the joke on us users that bought the playbook on launch day. We ALL knew that we were getting an unfinished unit.

How many of you really thought, you know, I'll give RIM x amount of months to get everything I want before I give up and go to another company/platform?

We have all joked about being RIM's beta testers for the Playbook. But did you sit back and think if there is a breaking point?

I honestly gave myself until December 31st of this year to get all the things that were promised, so as delays happen, I am yet to be disapointed.

You know right now, I wish RIM would release everything TODAY! Why? Because it will shut everyone up for now, until someone complains that the Native email doesn't do 15 of your email accounts or the color of the email client is wrong, or it doesn't sync right away.

So tell me, how long realistically were you thinking that you would have everything, and I mean before the launch and we knew it was missing things and announcements were made.
    Last edited by QuIcKsIlV3r; 08-03-11 at 01:10 PM.
    08-03-11 12:45 PM
    I'm guessing you mean how long until the missing features we have been expecting are added (auto correct, android apps, bluetooth compatiblity, etc). I don't think anyone expects that updates will ever stop. Like a phone, constant improvements should always be made.
    08-03-11 12:59 PM
    Sadly, turned mine back in last week.

I love the 7" form and there was quite a bit to like (screen, browser etc.). I'm now resigned to sitting back and waiting for the PB to release the NDK and PIM functions.

If that happens (come on RIM), I'll be back on board and purchase it again. There is a lot of potential in this little pad to not come back too.
    08-03-11 01:01 PM
    I'm guessing you mean how long until the missing features we have been expecting are added (auto correct, android apps, bluetooth compatiblity, etc). I don't think anyone expects that updates will ever stop. Like a phone, constant improvements should always be made.
    Yes i mean the main meat and gravy that everyone is griping about lately. The PIM, native email, and the Android player.
    08-03-11 01:03 PM
    As the Lone Ranger around here my PB is just what I need and can use. Was never going to be substitute for either the laptop or the phone. The device serves as a surfing machine and portable document carrier. Bridge e-mail and BBM work fine for my needs. Tweeter and FaceBook are better on the PB than on the phone.

Games are not part of my life so no need for any of them. There are some installed just for fun. Even a few movies are installed for long trips.

All in all any improvement (which is expected over time) will be gravy. The device is fine IMHO. It is expectations that are tough. We all tend to want everything at once. More speed. More apps. More functions overall. But looking at basic needs and going with the flow keeps me much happier.
    bembol and BrokenSaint like this.
    08-03-11 01:12 PM
    I dunno how to answer, I was satisfied after 1.0.6 when they got most of the obvious bugs out. I expected a bug free remote browsing and emailing experience, minimally WITH FLASH. Bridge is all I need. I don't expect it to be a desktop as I use a desktop for that. I don't need a toypad. Anything else is icing on the cake...and I am expecting a lot more icing! Android native PIM who cares. I have Slicktasks on my phone the only app I really NEED. Want? hmm maybe ...
    BrokenSaint likes this.
    08-03-11 02:01 PM
    I'm dying for the Native Developer Kit to be released, and the TAT tools, which will foster good app development. Android Player, the release version will help too. As a BB owner I'm not as concerned about the native email and PIM since I get that with the bridge. In fact the bridge since about 1.0.5 has been brilliant, more than I could have hoped for!
    08-03-11 02:32 PM
    What missing features? I'm good with the current setup. Anything else is gravy.
    bAAx and DaveyDoo like this.
    08-03-11 02:34 PM
    The only thing I'm looking for is autocorrect and the Android Player, which I give til about the end of October. Other then that, I'm happy with my PB. I'll be even happier when it's bridged with my 9860
    08-03-11 03:05 PM
    I polled the end of 2011, either way it is what it is, but I knew what I was getting when I made my purchase, like many have indicated in this post & other posts within the CB community, all other OS updates will only make the PB a more enjoyable experience, overall it has met my expetations, and I have no regrets.
    Live long & prosper
    Cheers
    08-03-11 04:49 PM
    August for email, calendar, auto correct and texting etc. That appears not to be happening now.

I have a BB phone so I am fine for now email and calendar wise but the auto correct and texting needs to hit soon.

Tim
    08-03-11 05:13 PM
    As the Lone Ranger around here my PB is just what I need and can use.
    Don't feel lonely 'cause I am riding right by you side...

The reason behind investing on the playbook was to have something that could help in my everyday work... I don't wanted to pay for an extra data plan or carry a 10 inch device...

Well guess what?

I use my PB every single day at work (synced 11 Gb of documents on it) and have perfect on-field reference anytime I need it. I have WiFi all over my house and work, and a very desent 3g network on my Torch so I have internet access anytime. And finally, I do all of this in a 7 inch tablet that the way I see it could only get better, but as far as what I needed... I am doing everything I wanted to do with it... Of course every improvement will be wellcome, but It works for me...
    08-03-11 08:20 PM
    native pim and e-mail are not on my list because i get those bridged to my Torch. i am more than satisfied with my PlayBook that i purchased on launch date. every possible update we get will mean just a better user experience for me
    08-03-11 08:36 PM
    I voted before the end of the year, I am guessing the end of 2012.
    08-03-11 08:58 PM
    I bought my PB mid-June, the same day I bought my wife an IPad2. My thinking at the time was that the PB could become a great way to ditch my laptop when traveling for work, and would eliminate the need to run home to log on to work everytime the Torch rang. In the meantime, it would basically be a cool toy.

My only real desire is to have the PB capable of accessing my work network via a Citrix gateway. Ideally, this would be something that could be bridge accessible for those times I'm not near an accessible wireless network. If I can access my work system on demand, my needs are met. My expectation was that this would be possible before end of September.

As for all the other stuff (Android, email, etc etc), I don't care if/when it comes - it's all neat and cool and interesting, but I have no need and thus no expectation.

Have to end this now - my wife needs the PB to watch some on-line video clip. Guess I'll use her IPad2 to slaughter some birds or find out how few words I know how to spell or something.
    08-03-11 09:06 PM
    Like you (the OP), I knew I was buying an unfinished unit. I did, however, expect RIM to actively update the unit. A piece only qualifies as a work in progress if it progresses.

When I bought the PlayBook, I committed to a full upgrade cycle (which I define as one device generation), and that hasn't changed, especially considering there's nothing else out there that meets my needs any better. I have to admit, however, that I'm getting really frustrated with what I perceive as a complete lack of action on RIM's part, along with what I'm coming to feel is arrogance from RIM, based on their utter lack of communication, and dealings with certain high profile app developers.

I'd like to see RIM communicate better with the PlayBook community, providing a roadmap listing what features they're actively working on, along with a loose timeline. I'd also like to hear what the plans are for app development, prior to release we heard about RIM teaming up with this or that app developer to develop hundreds of apps, where's Polar Mobile? Where's EA? Where's Adobe? Frankly, if RIM's big partnership with Adobe was able to only produce the anemic .pdf reader we have right now, RIM should be asking for a refund, the thing is pathetic. Since release, the silence has been deafening, and this is my biggest problem at this point.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-03-11 10:19 PM
    I bought my PB mid-June, the same day I bought my wife an IPad2. My thinking at the time was that the PB could become a great way to ditch my laptop when traveling for work, and would eliminate the need to run home to log on to work everytime the Torch rang. In the meantime, it would basically be a cool toy.

My only real desire is to have the PB capable of accessing my work network via a Citrix gateway. Ideally, this would be something that could be bridge accessible for those times I'm not near an accessible wireless network. If I can access my work system on demand, my needs are met. My expectation was that this would be possible before end of September.

As for all the other stuff (Android, email, etc etc), I don't care if/when it comes - it's all neat and cool and interesting, but I have no need and thus no expectation.

Have to end this now - my wife needs the PB to watch some on-line video clip. Guess I'll use her IPad2 to slaughter some birds or find out how few words I know how to spell or something.
    This made me chuckle.

All I really want is it to be more intuitive when I'm typing like on the handheld. Capitalize my first word and as well as 'i' and in 2011 it should be smart enough to know that im really means I'm....etc. Other than that it does what I read it did from reviewers from the moment I bought it.

Anything else is a bonus since I barely touch my laptop these days.
    08-03-11 10:40 PM
    I waited 10 years for the sequel to Starcraft, 3 years of High School to get my own car, and 1 year every year for Christmas to come around again, and routinely have to wait several months between seasons of TV shows before I find out how X shows' cliff hanger will be resolved - I don't mind waiting 6 months to get some sweet features.

Besides, I bought the device with plans in mind for what it could currently do, and it has most certainly been worth it. Future apps, android player, and other features will just be a bonus (Native Email hasn't been a problem - gmail bookmark+Bridge ftw)
    08-03-11 11:46 PM
    Alright, I am soooooo tired of all the whining going on.
    And the majority of crackberry users, which are upset at rim's performance according to a poll conducted right here on crackberry itself, are sooooooo tired of you apologists continuously digging deeper to find excuses for rim bungling their work and in doing so enabling them to perform at a far lower level than they are really capable of.

Happy with your $500+ web browser? good for you Dont read these threads if you dont like your candy cane and lollipops world interrupted.
    08-04-11 05:38 AM
    When I heard RIM say that Playbook would be released in March, I believed it.

When I saw mockups of App World for Playbook that had Skype in it, I thought that Skype would be available for Playbook.

When I heard Balsillie say 60 days for email I actually thought we might see email in around 60 days.

When I heard RIM announce the Android Player for Summer, I actually believed it would be released sometime in the summer - probably late summer.

When I heard RIM say that the Playbook video store would open in the Summer, I believed that too. Is this even still going to happen?

I also believed that Angry Birds would be released this summer: RIM said it would happen!

Now, I don't believe any of it. I don't know when to expect anything or whether I should even expect some of this stuff to ever happen.

RIM doesn't say an F-ing word about any of it. In fact, Balsillie lies about saying something that video shows that he said.

This is way past a joke.
    08-04-11 07:19 AM
    And the majority of crackberry users, which are upset at rim's performance according to a poll conducted right here on crackberry itself, are sooooooo tired of you apologists continuously digging deeper to find excuses for rim bungling their work and in doing so enabling them to perform at a far lower level than they are really capable of.

Happy with your $500+ web browser? good for you Dont read these threads if you dont like your candy cane and lollipops world interrupted.
    I guess you don't acknowledge that some folks make no excuses for RIM while still being sick of the whining. Choosing to not complain doesn't automatically make someone an apologist.
    08-04-11 08:01 AM
    I'm happy with my PB as it is.

I voted for end of the year only because I don't see updates ever stopping. I'll have any new updates that are coming, but am happy with my device as is. I got what I expected when I bought it.
    08-04-11 08:19 AM
    I guess you don't acknowledge that some folks make no excuses for RIM while still being sick of the whining. Choosing to not complain doesn't automatically make someone an apologist.
    He and Lawmanguy are the biggest users of the "apologist" movement.

I have stated many times, I love my playbook, and will continue loving it, and I personally don't see an issue with the timeline of how things are going. So what if they had a verbal roadmap of what they want to have released by a certain time, things happen, and the company is in a really rough spot right now, but doesn't mean behind the scenes they aren't busting their butts off

The rumor of the Android app being delayed is NOT a big deal, and RIM doesn't need to defend or deny the rumors, and they do not need to justify every single thing, Yes the 60 days comment was bad, but you know what, he denied it, big deal. Find me one CEO that hasn't lied at some point in his/her career about saying something and then deny it.

People want instant gratification, and that is fine, but these people need to step back and realize wow, they are making everything better and yes its taking a lot longer than expected, with job cuts, and a programming team working their tails off to make sure the code is done right is what is holding everything up.

Working to the best they can, and the resources they have, I am not surprised, but that is why, when I bought the Playbook, I gave myself until December 31st before I become dissatisfied with lack of so called "major" upgrades.

I don't personally need the PIM, or native email cause I personally think whoever owns a blackberry and ******** about native email is just being ignorant because they dont want to use the bridge. They just want something to gripe about.

I do want RIM to release this stuff more on the fact of people are so impatient and can't deal with the long term longevity of the Playbook.

Good things happen to those that wait. Yes waiting too long is going to kill RIM more and the Playbook will crash and burn, but the playbook is less than 6 months old still.

That is why I created this poll, and it seems like a lot of people are waiting patiently till the end of the year and is neck and neck with the 2-4 month people voting.

So there is a good amount of people waiting as their are impatiently waiting which is what I was trying to gauge.
    08-04-11 08:20 AM
    When I heard RIM say that Playbook would be released in March, I believed it.

When I saw mockups of App World for Playbook that had Skype in it, I thought that Skype would be available for Playbook.

When I heard Balsillie say 60 days for email I actually thought we might see email in around 60 days.

When I heard RIM announce the Android Player for Summer, I actually believed it would be released sometime in the summer - probably late summer.

When I heard RIM say that the Playbook video store would open in the Summer, I believed that too. Is this even still going to happen?

I also believed that Angry Birds would be released this summer: RIM said it would happen!

Now, I don't believe any of it. I don't know when to expect anything or whether I should even expect some of this stuff to ever happen.

RIM doesn't say an F-ing word about any of it. In fact, Balsillie lies about saying something that video shows that he said.

This is way past a joke.
    Well there is no reason to believe any of it when the date comes and goes and the facts are it didnt happen... what happens is integrity, a virtue that fanbois dont seem to grasp that it matters, is destroyed. Now who can believe anything that they say? And it begs the question; are they just blowing smoke to keep stringing customers along and suckering new ones? Which that does work the first few times but when they are obviously never following through it does catch up to them. Maybe thats part and parcel to why their stock value has been in a free fall. Who wants.to fork over $600 for a box of broken promises?

Finally, go back and look at that list of missed dates you listed. What frustrates consumers more, these facts or the mindless rim sheep that can read the same list and defend a company that thinks all that can occur and be considered sound business practice?
    08-04-11 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD