Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By k8bushlover
  • 1 Post By xamdam
  • 2 Post By Scotter75
  • 1 Post By 3hb78ftg
  • 1 Post By KermEd
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Poll: does your PlayBook (or Z10) do this?

After several failed attempts at an RMA process with BlackBerry, I'm left with the understanding that this flaw is 'by design':

In Settings, slide volume and keypad feedback sliders all the way to the left (presumably, zero, yes?)Now, in a text-input box in any application (most notably, browser and e-mail), type a few characters, then pause. Hold the PlayBook speakers close to your ears (or insert headphones and listen through those.) An audible 'click' is heard after a few seconds of pausing entry from onscreen keyboard. Occasionally, the first press of a letter after a pause will cause a bit of a louder 'static'-like click.

Now, these clicks sound exactly like the 'click' that is heard while adjusting keypad feedback to the right...so I really think it is keypad feedback, just being triggered inappropriately.

Furthermore, the clicking doesn't happen at all in apps that develop their own text boxes (not using the UI element in some SDK, say.) I can save my current settings in NodeBeat, for instance -- the clicking will never happen, neither after a pause nor with an initial keypress. So, it's not keypad feedback alone, making it a bit of a subtle problem to diagnose.

Seems to me it is baked into the OS, whether by 'design' or not: A text input box triggers keypad feedback, before checking whether keypad feedback should be triggered. I shouldn't also have to have zero volume to prevent it, but even that doesn't prevent it. And that worries me it might have been something that carries over into the Z10 (when I get my hands on my reserved unit, it will be the first thing I check.)

It seems like a minor flaw, in some ways. But my support contact tells me it happens on every PlayBook she's tried, and happens on both mine and my spouse's. Maybe most everyone uses keypad feedback and just sucks it up. Not pleasant while trying to compose an e-mail and listen to music with headphones at the same time, though. Click-click-clickety-freaking-click.

I'm hoping it can be something fixed via software update -- but it took months to convince BlackBerry it was even present ('no fault found', 'technicians can't reproduce the scenario you describe'), and now they're telling me it's on all PlayBooks, seemingly 'by design'.

More than wanting to know that everyone else is suffering with the same problem, I beg those of you with units still under warranty to put some pressure on BlackBerry to come up with a fix for this. It is enough to prevent me from getting a Z10, if that's something it does as well.
    pwee111111 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,056 Global Posts

Well i don't use keyboard feedback as i hate the click sound everytime i type, i turn it off on all phones i ever had that used it and now my playbook, so issue is resloved no more click click click.
    New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
    LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
    On Rogers Service

"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks, I only wish it were that simple. I too have keyboard feedback off (as 'off' as it will go, which is all the way to the left.) I also happen to have Volume all the way off too, although it shouldn't be necessary.

Unfortunately, still "(zap)click" when I start typing (sometimes)...then a less-audible "(static)click" after pausing for a few seconds (always). It happens through both the speakers and the headphones, and with different headphones.

The clicking does not happen with every key press, as it does when keypad feedback is on. I also hate the feedback sound, so one of the first things I did was shut it off. And then started noticing the issue described.

But, it seems to only happen in a true (BlackBerry-provided?) text input box. Which just happens to be all the time in both the built-in browser and e-mail. Some apps that have their own 'save as', 'search' or other functions where you can input text don't demonstrate the same issue. I've tried different browsers like Maxxthon and Dolphin, and they do the same thing. Mind you, the text input boxes look the same there as in the built-in browser, so I suspect are in fact the same 'objects' responding in the same flawed way.

I think they're initiating 'keypad feedback' before checking the feedback level. If they could check the level first, they could do away with the problem.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,056 Global Posts

Well its seems to be a minor issue and i dont hear the clicking sound when i type, but i amd half deaf in one ear too so maybe thats why, maybe you need to have a deaf person around for you when your typing//// :P

Seriously though no one here can solve the issue for you and again i don't hear it and if i did i would not care as oh well its a gitch that probably be fixed at some point in time and if not oh well life is not fair and neither is mother nature.
    New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
    LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
    On Rogers Service

"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

This is what I'm trying to do as well, not use keyboard feedback. I may be a newbie, but I'm not a complete techno-*****. The power is on...

The keypad feedback is already off, as I described already. (So is the Volume.) And I'm still getting 'feedback', just not with each and every press. Just when I start typing (sometimes) and when I pause typing (always.)

BlackBerry Customer Support tells me this appears to be 'by design'. To which I call BS, that's a stupid design. Someone overlooked something, but it's not me. I've tested this thoroughly (for months now) and it's happened on every PlayBook I've had in my hands.

But that's the last communication BlackBerry will have with me -- my 90-day technical support is up, and since they provided me with a replacement unit (not repair my unit, as they had promised me when they told me they had indeed found a fault: so says another e-mail, more BS), although it won't restore the backup I took from my previous unit: Case closed, job done, RMA complete.

Well done, BlackBerry, well done.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I also know nobody here can solve it. Just spreading the word. If it doesn't bother you, or you don't notice it, that's fine. If you do, and it does bug you, please tell BlackBerry, that's all.

They're treating me like a lone voice in the wilderness although they have (variously) told me, "we did find a fault and will repair your unit," and "this happens on all units, it appears to be by design."

I'd agree it appears to be happening on all units. I don't agree that this should be dismissed as 'by design' even if it is minor. If you find it to be your experience as well, and do agree or don't agree, do or don't advise BlackBerry accordingly, then.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Where's the said poll exactly?
    Z10 Stl3 10.3.0.1418 => 10.3.1.821 => 10.3.1.800
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think what you are hearing is the CIA accessing your PlayBook.
    rebroker2009 and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,560 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotter75 View Post
    I think what you are hearing is the CIA accessing your PlayBook.
    Actually it's extra-terrestrials.
    "Official Member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Special Security)
    bungaboy likes this.

Default Poll: does your PlayBook (or Z10) do this?

Oh good I was worried it was Google or Apple somehow listening in.

Sent from my BlackBerry S10 using Tapatalk Touch Beta
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,720 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle

Wow. We have a serious gingerbread pron issue on this Site that has affected my hearing so much I am not hearing any polls.
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
    CrackBerry Abuser

If the OP thinks this is a problem, it can be solved with a BB mini keyboard. Bluetooth headphones may also eliminate some of the static 'clicks'. I'm listening to Slacker radio with rocketfish BT headphones and there is no static sounds when using the PB touch keyboard or pausing, just a click when the song changes which is not an issue for me at all.
    PS. The Kate Bush channel on Slacker is blocked by copyright! So listening to the Loreena McKennitt channel ... One of the best apps ever is Slacker radio!
    CrackBerry Addict

I think it's actually the user's fingernails contacting the glass. I actually love the keyboard feedback but I tried his experiment and I get no sound at all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Thanks for the suggestions, sorry for the non-poll ("straw poll"? "show of hands?" "Anyone?" "Bueller?")

The same problem, albeit slight, occurs in the Slackr radio search input boxes, after pausing in typing, there is a slight click. I wouldn't expect any click from pressing a pause button ('buttons' are not in my description of the problem. Typing in text boxes with the onscreen keyboard is the problem.)

My fingernails are not touching anything when pausing typing (hands off screen, headphones in.) Just to eliminate some variables.

Bluetooth keyboard would solve the problem, perhaps, by ignoring it. ("Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then stop doing that!")

Thanks all the same.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    402 Global Posts

I have always noticed this but not just on my PlayBook but pretty much every smartphone / tablet I've owned. The sound is the speaker turning off after timing out. Most devices do this.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Thanks, I agree, that's the sound, all right (speakers coming on and off.)

But, it doesn't happen on all devices (I have an Android phone, an iPad 2, which I've tested extensively as well) Nor does it explain the control cases where it doesn't occur even on the PlayBook (in other apps' text input areas, for instance.)

Anyway, nobody else hears this, it's only me and you. ;0) I will take the doctor's advice and quit doing it (typing with onscreen keypad when the noise of the speakers coming on and off would bother me. I have enjoyed all the wild theories proposed as to the causes, though. Maybe it's the whisper of Kate Bush recording a new album.)
    CrackBerry User

I see what you are saying.

1) Get your ear VERY close to the device with the keyboard up:
    2) Wait a few seconds.
    3) tap a few keys, static noise (very quiet) should start
    4) stop typing and wait
    5) Static noise should stop after about two seconds with a 'pop'.

Obviously it's the sound system activating. I would suggest that the sound is merely muted and not deactivated. I'm sure there is a way to 'turn off' the speakers entirely for a small power saving, but not by us. The sound system is probably built deeper into the system ((I know nothing of the BB OS.) and would likely need a more rudimentary power saving switch built in, or it be done at the hardware level by the chipset.
    CrackBerry Master

After reading this thread, I decided to try and hear the sound, and I was indeed able to, although it was very faint indeed.

As an aside, on my Android phone I hear a much more audible sound of a similar type very frequently (I believe on reflection this is due to an app I have which automatically mutes the speaker for some apps, and turns it on for others; the pop usually happens when launching an app where the sound is muted). The reason for the sound never occurred to me until reading this thread, so thanks for that
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Happy to report, it does not happen at all on my Z10. Yay!