Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kbz1960
  • 1 Post By hreiner1
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Please help, trying to set up WIFI file sharing on playbook

Ok so i tried the basics, went in and turned on file sharing via wifi under settings. turned wifi on, went to the run line typed in my IPV4 addy on the pb , and nothing..

So i called '' tech support'' and got india, his exact words were... i cant connect via wifi sharing since my DESKTOP pc that i built on my own from the bottom up isnt wireless... funny eh.. So i told him hes beyond wrong and to think of something else.. then he said because the ip adress on my PC and my PB are differnet, it will never work.. So i ended the call after seeing how the quality of support they give on the phones is almost as bad as my banks..

So can someone please help, it worked before with out a hitch, the PB doesnt show up under networks.. first one to help gets a canadian hug !!!! there they best you'lll see
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

This is what SHOULD work...

Turn on WiFi, and make sure your Playbook is connection to the router.
    Go to Settings/General/Network and make a note of the IPv4 address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
    Also in settings, make sure WiFi sharing is turned on, and if a password is set, you know what it is.

On your PC, make sure that the WiFi is switched on and you are connected to your router.
    On the PC, at the run line, type 'cmd' without the quotes, you should get a black command prompt window type 'ipconfig' again without the quotes and press enter. It should tell you the IP adress of the computer. Normally the first 3 parts should be the same as your PB, is xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy (where yyy are different). Type 'exit' to get rid of the command prompt
    On the computer at the run line type 'file:\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' where the xxx's are your PLAYBOOKS IP address and press enter.
    It should then show you the files on your PB, and ask you for username and password if you have set them up.

Let us know where your experience differs from the above, and hopefully we can help you troubleshoot the problem!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

oh im a computer geek i know computers, its just this stupid PB wont connect, the IP on my desktop is connected hardwired into my Modem, then my modem is connected into my Router ( i know makes no sense) if i use the Router to my PC ethernet connection my net doesnt work... my net wont talk to me since i have a router so i have to hardwire it. So my ip for my PB is my routers 192.bla.bla.bla my pcs is 28.bla bla bla..
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

I'm no great networking expert, and I'm not sure that I understand how you've got everything wired up, but it sounds to me like your PC and your PB are on two different sub-nets. Unless you have some 'routing rules' set up on your WiFi router or you rmodem then I'm not sure if the two will know how to find each other...(??)
    Can you not set up your PC to have a 192... IP Address, even if you have to configure it by hand?

You say it used to work, what has/could have changed since then??
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,284 Global Posts
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    Thanked by 2:
    hreiner1 (02-21-2013),  lcjr (02-21-2013) 
    lcjr likes this.

I'm not sure about your router setup either. My dsl modem is connected to my router. My pc is hardwired to the router but everything else I have is wireLESS/wifi to the router.

I created a static address for my pb so that if ip assignments change, at least, the pb has a constant address and my Desktop Shortcut (windows) always finds my pb.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Please help, trying to set up WIFI file sharing on playbook

make sure that you did NOT enable feature like 'wireless isolation' on your router.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

It sounds to me like drivers are missing on the PC which are needed to talk to the router. I may be wrong.

It also sounds to me like either the router or modem have firewall settings that are interfering with communication. (EDIT: Jumped by a Briard, consarnit)

Finally, it also sounds to me like the PC itself may have some strange firewall settings that prevent it from communicating with the unknown PlayBook device. Though why it'd be able to communicate directly to the modem and not the router is beyond me.
    CrackBerry Master

Default Re: Please help, trying to set up WIFI file sharing on playbook

you know computers, but you don't know networks. right now, your computer and PB are connected to two "different" networks - one being your router's and the other is your isp's. they have to be on the "same" network to be able to communicate by either tunneling in or physically putting them there (move them both onto your router's network).
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

OP: I think the root of your problem lies in the fact that you have to plug your PC directly into the Modem, and not via your router. As someone else suggests, this means that the two devices are not in the same network (subnet). Solving this is not really a PlayBook problem, and as such, I wonder if it is a bit beyond the scope of this forum(?). Maybe you need to speak to your Internet Service Provider, and see if you can work out how to get the modem and router properly configured??
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

oh my isp wont talk to me when they find out i have a router, There connection wont work because i have my own router.. They make it like that so you rent it off of them, for 5 bucks a month. Its because i have 2 subnet masks i realise that, .. but it worked before and is pissing me off that i have to plug it in to transfer files
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

You keep saying that it worked before... What has changed since then? Something must have.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts

This is how I enabled wireless (wifi) sharing from my PC to my PlayBook.

sorry I just re-read all that you have done... Can you ping the PlayBook from the computer?
    If you can't you may need to put an add route into the computer to get to the PlayBook subnet.

- Make sure the PlayBook and PC are on your networked router. It doesn't matter if your PC is wireless so long as it's on the same Subnet.
    - Go to the PlayBook and the top right press the settings widget.
    Scroll to ABOUT and NETWORK and get the IPv4 address for the Playbook (remember this address)
    Scroll down to SHARING and STORAGE and enable File Sharing and WIFI sharing

On your computer, press the Start button and find RUN
    When a pop up appears type: \\ (the IPv4 address you saw on the PlayBook) Enter
    You'll now see 2 files on your computer. These are the shared files that you can copy from or to the PlayBook from the PC.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Sent via my Blackberry Playbook
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ratiqus View Post
    oh my isp wont talk to me when they find out i have a router, There connection wont work because i have my own router.. They make it like that so you rent it off of them, for 5 bucks a month. Its because i have 2 subnet masks i realise that, .. but it worked before and is pissing me off that i have to plug it in to transfer files
    See if your router gives you the option of MAC address cloning: that way it will use your PC's MAC address when registering itself to your ISP's network. All of your connections through the router will then be masked using the PC's MAC address. You'll need to connect the router directly to your computer and then go into its web interface and activate the setting. Once it's done you should be able to connect the router to your modem and then use it to have your PC and all your wireless hosts on the same private network.

This link may help as well:

How to Clone Your MAC Address | eHow.com
    Last edited by rthonpm; 02-21-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Adding link to instructions for MAC cloning
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Took 3 minutes and works well. now I just can copy and paste like a regular drive
    Thanks kbz1960
    regards from NYC
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

try this may help
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,284 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ratiqus View Post
    What modem and what router do you have? Is your ISP require PPOE?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun