My 4yo son broke my PB charger cord. Is there anything I can use while I wait for a new charger to come? Can I use my bb charger? Or put the usb into an IPad charger? Anything I can do, I'm at 30%
    05-12-12 01:07 AM
    Any charger that can deliver 2A = 2000mA to a USB port should work.
    sashlon likes this.
    05-12-12 02:47 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong but why not plug your PB to the computer? Kinda like when you are transferring photos, files and other stuff from PB to computer. It should charge it right? BE BOLD!!!
    05-12-12 04:08 AM
    All usb charger should work. Its just a matter of charging time.

= Charles
    sashlon likes this.
    05-12-12 04:18 AM
    All usb charger should work. Its just a matter of charging time.

= Charles
    Pretty much. My PlayBook charger was forgotten at a friends and i was forced to use my Bold 9700s charger for a few days.

If you are using the playbook while using a phone charger it will take ages to charge.
    If you are not using your playbook, you will get a full charge overnight.

Bottom line is, you will need a new PB charger asap.
    sashlon likes this.
    05-12-12 04:47 AM
    My 4yo son broke my PB charger cord. Is there anything I can use while I wait for a new charger to come? Can I use my bb charger? Or put the usb into an IPad charger? Anything I can do, I'm at 30%
    Were you given a return policy on your son or has the return period long ago passed?

The BlackBerry smartphone charger can be used to recharge the BlackBerry tablet but it will be very slow and you must not use the tablet while it is recharging.

My vote is for you to tell your wife "*Your* son needs discipline and to be locked in his bedroom until he starts school. Yourrrr son...," as you walk away shaking your head.
    sashlon likes this.
    05-12-12 05:22 AM
    2A is not required and many generic 2A chargers do not work with the Playbook.
    Just try any USB charger, your BB or iPad chargers will work just slower than the original.

If the battery symbol shows that it is charging it is ok. If not the charger isn't working with the Playbook but you aren't doing any harm.
    sashlon likes this.
    05-12-12 07:45 AM
    Any generic 2 amp charger should work if you use you Playbook USB cable.

The cable you use can make all the difference, so getting a high amperage charger that lets you use your own cable is key. I have personally tested this with a charger that has both an integrated cable and USB connector for me to plug in my cable. The integrate cable does not provide full power but using the Playbook's cable with the same charger provides full power.
    05-12-12 09:02 AM
    What is the difference between the Playbook USB cable and any other good quality USB cable?
    I haven't found a generic 2A USB charger that will work with the Playbook yet. They work fine with my Torch though.
    Do you have an example of a charger that works?
    05-12-12 09:56 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong but why not plug your PB to the computer? [...] It should charge it right?
    A standard USB2 port provides 500mA max, that's just a quarter of what the PlayBook really needs. It may charge a little if it is switched off but only very very slowly.
    sashlon likes this.
    05-14-12 12:14 AM
    Not quite, if the charger puts out much more voltage then the PB can take, you can damage the PB. But I haven't seen a USB charger that puts out more then 5v, does such one exist?
    Last edited by blue_k; 05-14-12 at 02:02 AM.
    05-14-12 01:57 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions

I have such an awesome wife. She bought me the Rapid Charger today. I'm pretty happy. I love how it's magnetic, and if my son pulls on it, it'll just disconnect. Perfect.
    05-14-12 05:41 AM
    Agreed on the rapid charger! It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    05-14-12 05:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD