I need a tablet for work (retail business) I currently have a Bold 9900 and I have been on the fence for a while over this. My concerns browser speed while using bridge to tether PlayBook, how well does the PlayBook multitask?, will I be able to receive phone calls and send text messages while bridge/tether function is in progress? How stable is this set up? Any constructive advice will be very appreciated and "thanked".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-11 10:42 PM
    Hello and welcome to the forums for the Playbook. Check out the Newbie Tips and Tricks for the Playbook, by clicking on the link below my signature.

You can also go to the Blackberry 101 for more info too!

Read this thread of other posters that use their PB for work...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-money-666325/
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-24-11 at 11:00 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-24-11 10:55 PM
    For work, I would suggest EXOPC a Window 7 tablet. It was on sale at Microsoft Store but I could not find it on MS Store now. Just Google it if you are interested.

Since it runs Win 7. Office Suits including Outlook would run on it. It is rather big and the battery only last about 3 hours. I have one but I always end up using my Laptop for work instead.
    Last edited by EWY; 12-25-11 at 01:04 AM.
    12-25-11 12:58 AM
    I need a tablet for work (retail business) I currently have a Bold 9900 and I have been on the fence for a while over this. My concerns browser speed while using bridge to tether PlayBook, how well does the PlayBook multitask?, will I be able to receive phone calls and send text messages while bridge/tether function is in progress? How stable is this set up? Any constructive advice will be very appreciated and "thanked".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have many different tablets. The one I use at work is a PlayBook.

The iPad, while alright, is bulkier than I like for meetings. But my wife does use an iPad at her work.

Windows Tablets, sorry I want more than 2 hour battery life and a device that does not reach a massive heating point. But you could go this route for other reasons. You can install most of your work software on it. But ... why not just get a laptop then.

Android Tablets, I have a few of these. They are a bit too buggy for Office work for me. But one of my co-workers uses a Transformer quite productively.

HP Touchpad, I have two co-workers who use these. Both flashed with Android though, so probably not much better than an Android tablet.

And three of us are using PlayBooks. I do a lot of hands-on work with devices in narrow rooms, so the 7 incher is a must. And having it go through Bridge negates me from worrying about another bill. It has less apps, but I'm a developer so anything I'm missing (that I need) I've just developed.

So, it really comes down to choices and your work environment I think.

Edit/Note: My dislike for Windows Tablets comes primarily due to the fact that Windows 7 still isn't optimized well for Tablet devices. Reading will be tougher, and everything is keyboard heavy (with only a soft-keyboard through Tablet PC). Windows 8 is an improvement, but still not as good as an actual Tablet OS IMO.

~ed.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-25-11 01:11 AM
    So your specific use is web browsing via bridge while also being able to text on your bridged phone? Yes, that will work fine.

Bridged web browsing speed is pretty good. Not fast as WiFi but I would say plenty fast unless you are planning to download large files a lot (media).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-25-11 01:14 AM
    First I would follow Jafobabes advice. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, with similar advice requests lately, I'll repeat that we now have 5 at work and they serve us well. We do invoicing, reports, status updates, timekeeping, accessing tech docs and manuals etc...The pdf reader is basic and could use more options, but it works fine as is for us. As a reader its fine, but no bookmarks or editing currently. But we are service with sales and you said retail, so our needs may differ, even considerably. But research the forums for the needs you have, as there are many owners here who use them for business as we do. We also use the bridge considerably, as we are in the field a lot. Again also, be warned of PB bashers and trolls here. They'll tell you they own a PB too and even like some things, like the volume button or screen, and then they'll start in on what a crap device the PB is for business and how all the apps are crap, keyboard is crap, and blah crap this and blah blah crap that. Most opinions here are fair and realistic, even the negatives. It will be obvious to you. Good luck and research the forums!!!
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-25-11 at 01:40 AM. Reason: omission
    12-25-11 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD