Hello,
    I hate the day when I have to replace my Playbook because it has served me so well the past few years, I have had mine bridged to my BB Bold 9700! (was great for work and home)

But I'm curious to what other people are replacing theirs with, what's good on the market now?
    Thanks!
    09-07-13 08:40 PM
    I use a Nook HD+ but there are many good android device like the Nexus 7 that are decently priced and very nice
    09-07-13 08:45 PM
    replacing my playbook with a z30.. lol..
    09-07-13 08:47 PM
    I am going to replace my PlayBook with some pencils, paper, solar powered calculator, old fashioned road maps, free books from the local library, better time management habits -. All for less than twenty bucks. However the PlayBook has been my best friend for these late night insomnia gigs, I suppose I could count a couple thousand sheep. Instead of going high I am going to go low tech when the final charge drains down.
    dmlis, dphjeff and FF22 like this.
    09-08-13 03:34 AM
    Hello,
    I hate the day when I have to replace my Playbook because it has served me so well the past few years, I have had mine bridged to my BB Bold 9700! (was great for work and home)

But I'm curious to what other people are replacing theirs with, what's good on the market now?
    Thanks!
    If you want best value without guaranteed security (i.e. watch what you install or look out for new malware protection), 2013 Nexus 7.
    If you want a tablet as secure as Playbook, it has to be ipad mini - There should be a new retina one out by christmas and the current ones should drop marginally in price.

If you want cheap and to hell with security you can get android tablets for $�50
    09-08-13 05:04 AM
    Windows 8 tablet....anything else is ********.
    09-08-13 05:07 AM
    What about another PlayBook?

The count at home has grown to three - because they are cheap to get (1 is a spare).

If the PlayBook does all one needs, it is hard to beat for its price - one can get similarly priced android products, but they won't be built as well not run as well.
    vangelas likes this.
    09-08-13 06:29 AM
    I'm waiting for the new ATOM chips and 8" win8 tabs. That's not RT or pro either.
    09-08-13 06:35 AM
    The New Nexus 7 or Ipad mini.
    09-08-13 08:25 AM
    So far base on what I read, Window 8 is the closest to a Playbook in terms of functionality. I'll wait for now.
    09-08-13 09:05 AM
    I use a Nook HD+ but there are many good android device like the Nexus 7 that are decently priced and very nice
    I just ordered a Nook HD 7 inch. Can't wait to try it. What are your thoughts on it?

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:25 AM
    My PB just kicked the bucket, so I was considering an updated I pad mini (there's one in my household but not mine personally) or one of those new Windows 8 - 8 inch tablets.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:46 AM
    Go for Windows tablets.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 11:26 AM
    I went for a Nexus 7 2013
    09-08-13 11:29 AM
    I could not tell anyone what to replace the Playbook with because each user's needs and wants in a tablet are personal and unique to that particular user. With that said and out of the way, I suggest that you consider a non-major brand name tablet, the Hisense Sero 7 Pro which is sold exclusively at Walmart for $129.00 (formerly $149.00). Its specs include: Nvidia Tegra3 Quad Core 1.3GHz processor, 7" 1280 X800 HD, Rear 5.0 MP auto-focus camera with flash, front 2.0 MP camera, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz), stereo dual speakers, Micro USB, 3.5 mm headset jack, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, 1GB RAM, 8GB Internal Storage (of which 5.48GB available for you), microSD up to 32GB card (64GB if rooted), Bluetooth 3.0, GPS, NFC (near field communication), 4000 mAh battery, Google play. Very little bloatware, and most can be removed, including the Walmart one. Made in China, but then what isn't?

I bought one and have been using it for about a month and I like it. Very good price for a lot of tablet. I have not experienced any problems with it so far. At first, it would not run a Flash video so I went to Staples to play with the Nexus 7 (2012 model) and it would also not run that same video. So I realized it was not a problem with the Hisense, but a lack of support for Flash. I did some online research and was able to find some help to download Flash and the Dolphin browser. I did the same to my Kindle Fire HD (which I bought about a week before I bought the Hisense) and they are now able to play Flash videos. I wrote more about why I have the Kindle too in my reply to a thread entitled "Is it still worth me buying a Playbook?" which was started by the original poster on 09-04-13.

If you want to know more about the Hisense, just google "Hisense Sero 7 Pro" and you will find among the results a review by Laptop Magazine which rated it as the best budget tablet. Additionally, it has been reported that an update to Android 4.3 will be coming in Fall. Yes, I know... memories... promises not kept, etc. I do however, believe that the update to Android 4.3 will come and when that happens, the Hisense will be running the same Android version as the 2013 Nexus 7.

For me, the Hisense and the Kindle supplements my Playbook, not replace it. I like the Playbook the best, but it has some shortcomings so the Hisense especially helps fill the void. Tablets are getting more inexpensive and it will get more so when the holiday season comes along. Just don't rush into a decision.

Good luck in your search for your Playbook replacement.

Edited to include more info-

I usually do not buy extended warranties but I recommend getting it for the Hisense from Walmart. Buy it in the store, not online. The online price for the warranty is about $28.00 but if you buy it in the store, it is just $15.00. If you order the tablet for store pick up, you do not have to buy the warranty when you place your order online. You can buy it when you pick up the tablet at the store. Finally, Walmart has a fifteen-day return on electronics. Return it if you don't like it. You can get the warranty price back too.
    Last edited by bb4ty; 09-08-13 at 01:41 PM. Reason: More info-
    rshew likes this.
    09-08-13 01:10 PM
    Thaks bb4ty,
    I will look into the Hisense as a supplement as well.........
    09-08-13 02:02 PM
    So far base on what I read, Window 8 is the closest to a Playbook in terms of functionality. I'll wait for now.
    The new Toshiba, coming in November (??) seems very interesting. As I have a Windows 8 PC and have, now, gone to a Windows phone, it seems to be the way to go, for me.
    09-08-13 03:09 PM
    Unfortunately, Windows 8 is nowhere close to a PlayBook in terms of usability
    09-08-13 03:20 PM
    I could not tell anyone what to replace the Playbook with because each user's needs and wants in a tablet are personal and unique to that particular user. With that said and out of the way, I suggest that you consider a non-major brand name tablet, the Hisense Sero 7 Pro which is sold exclusively at Walmart for $129.00 (formerly $149.00). Its specs include: Nvidia Tegra3 Quad Core 1.3GHz processor, 7" 1280 X800 HD, Rear 5.0 MP auto-focus camera with flash, front 2.0 MP camera, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz), stereo dual speakers, Micro USB, 3.5 mm headset jack, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, 1GB RAM, 8GB Internal Storage (of which 5.48GB available for you), microSD up to 32GB card (64GB if rooted), Bluetooth 3.0, GPS, NFC (near field communication), 4000 mAh battery, Google play. Very little bloatware, and most can be removed, including the Walmart one. Made in China, but then what isn't?

I bought one and have been using it for about a month and I like it. Very good price for a lot of tablet. I have not experienced any problems with it so far. At first, it would not run a Flash video so I went to Staples to play with the Nexus 7 (2012 model) and it would also not run that same video. So I realized it was not a problem with the Hisense, but a lack of support for Flash. I did some online research and was able to find some help to download Flash and the Dolphin browser. I did the same to my Kindle Fire HD (which I bought about a week before I bought the Hisense) and they are now able to play Flash videos. I wrote more about why I have the Kindle too in my reply to a thread entitled "Is it still worth me buying a Playbook?" which was started by the original poster on 09-04-13.

If you want to know more about the Hisense, just google "Hisense Sero 7 Pro" and you will find among the results a review by Laptop Magazine which rated it as the best budget tablet. Additionally, it has been reported that an update to Android 4.3 will be coming in Fall. Yes, I know... memories... promises not kept, etc. I do however, believe that the update to Android 4.3 will come and when that happens, the Hisense will be running the same Android version as the 2013 Nexus 7.

For me, the Hisense and the Kindle supplements my Playbook, not replace it. I like the Playbook the best, but it has some shortcomings so the Hisense especially helps fill the void. Tablets are getting more inexpensive and it will get more so when the holiday season comes along. Just don't rush into a decision.

Good luck in your search for your Playbook replacement.

Edited to include more info-

I usually do not buy extended warranties but I recommend getting it for the Hisense from Walmart. Buy it in the store, not online. The online price for the warranty is about $28.00 but if you buy it in the store, it is just $15.00. If you order the tablet for store pick up, you do not have to buy the warranty when you place your order online. You can buy it when you pick up the tablet at the store. Finally, Walmart has a fifteen-day return on electronics. Return it if you don't like it. You can get the warranty price back too.
    Any hdmi output ability? even with some oddball adapter?
    09-08-13 07:15 PM
    Sorry, China might be good at copying everything, quality is still it's achilles heel. Unless there's quality control by the foreign companies such as Apple, I personally would not touch it with a ten foot pole. Same thing with food coming out of that country. Too many in dire desperation wanted a piece of that economy pie, ignoring the moral and ethic standard of consumption. Their government is just not capable of stipulating a unison quality control on it's own export. Corruption ran rampant. It will be a few decades through trial and error before they can compete with the like of Korea, Taiwan or Japan.
    09-08-13 07:32 PM
    Yes. Sorry I forgot to mention that. It has a mini HDMI output port. As I only had micro HDMI cables, I bought a mini cable online for about $5.00. Works well - the port, the cable and the tablet transferring the image to the bigscreen. HDMI output is also one of the features I currently look for in a tablet. If it had been absent from the Hisense, I would not have bought it, despite all the other outstanding specs.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-08-13 09:22 PM
    Get the Surface won't regret it, mobile computing as it should be.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 09:38 PM
    How you liking that Nook? I can't stand Android, but the interface from what I've seen looks different enough that it might trick me in to thinking it's something else? They're just si cheap! I'm thinking about it.... that would make 3 tablets bought this year. Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:24 PM
    How you liking that Nook? I can't stand Android, but the interface from what I've seen looks different enough that it might trick me in to thinking it's something else? They're just si cheap! I'm thinking about it.... that would make 3 tablets bought this year. Lol

Posted via CB10
    I ordered a Nook HD two days ago. I too was coaxed in by the sexy and unique interface.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 02:56 AM
    I ordered a Nook HD two days ago. I too was coaxed in by the sexy and unique interface.

Posted via CB10
    Let us know how you like it.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 04:09 PM