How about RIM releasing a tablet that actually can do what they claimed it would. How about adding the features that RIM has flaunted on Youtube that apparently this device can already do.

How about RIM having some balls and taking the lead.

Right now, RIM should be put down like a broken horse.
    07-10-11 10:30 AM
    That would be wishful thinking. If RIM are going to make a decent profit, they will need to start putting their Blackberry hamsters on their wheel. They'll be releasing "upgraded" hardware pretty regularly I'd imagine, as soon as they're able.
    As if you have a clue any better than anyone else?
    07-10-11 10:33 AM
    assuming the Playbook 2 comes out in 1 years time I'd like to see RIM have:

same form factor, with slightly more rounded corners for easier portrait keyboard use.

MicroSD Card support
    USB Host Support
    LED Flash!
    Added Gestures!! - Add 2 finger's down to lock.

Add a LED notification light, with touch sensitive support, allowing features to be use on the LED like ignoring notification, launching notification app etc.

I'd like QNX to allow for multiple instances of an App, as an example multiple Browsers, for swiping back and forward between, multiple Sheets2Go instances, etc

I'd like RIM to include a comma delimited input for Autotext/word substitution so one can build and maintain a Autotext library for all devices on a network.

I'd Like RIM to include NFC, and GPS functions so company's like Garmin could sell the Map software to Blackberry playbook users.

I'd like to see the Playbook in 7" 10" and 17" sizes with docking station for all 3 sizes.

I'd like to be able to Run apps in split screen mode

Native email, Contact management would be a perk as well
    All of that, that isn't hardware dependent can be on the one that is out now and should be.
    07-10-11 11:02 AM
    All of that, that isn't hardware dependent can be on the one that is out now and should be.
    Much of it is Hardware dependent, but I agree that which is not, I wish they'd release in the near future
    07-10-11 11:15 AM
    Forget about RIM *ever* adding sd card support to the PlayBook - it would give their enterprise and government customers fits.

NFC support is a lock, as is a higher resolution screen, faster processor and more RAM. I expect better cameras, as well.
    Beakman likes this.
    07-10-11 12:08 PM
    Well to answer this seriously, I would like to see the following:

7 and 10" models and maybe a 15 or 17" with x86 support
    higher resolution (1280 would be a good start)
    120hz for 3d
    2gb ram or higher
    128gb ssd
    USB 3.0
    A dock worthy of being called a dock (hdmi please)
    Full printing support
    07-10-11 12:20 PM
    The hardware is there, only the native apps and 3rd party apps need to be improved, and the OS tweeked a bit here and there. The OMAP architecture is excellent and the OMAP5 will be backwards compatible with OMAP4, even the pinouts.
    07-10-11 12:36 PM
    Forget about RIM *ever* adding sd card support to the PlayBook - it would give their enterprise and government customers fits.

NFC support is a lock, as is a higher resolution screen, faster processor and more RAM. I expect better cameras, as well.

They just need to be able to add BES support for the Playbook and the SD Card and USB host since the BES admins could disable access to those
    Same with the video Camera they can do that with.

then Enterprise customers wont be upset, the Tour with No Camera still had SD Card support
    07-10-11 12:38 PM
    So people are really dumb most,
    People said native email, apps as among the things they want in playbook 2
    That can be done via software updates
    The op said higher sscreen, better processor ?
    He Is saying the hardware aspects
    Dumb Crackberrians

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    shupor likes this.
    07-10-11 12:46 PM
    The screen is high res enough for the viewing distance so that is not needed.

I would say:
    A more efficient chip with lower power consumption(faster is not really necessary).
    Better battery.
    Lighter by a little.
    Different design.
    Different power button (I kinda like it the way it is though).
    Higher capacities? 128Gb option?
    Flash on back? maybe?

The hardware right now is really good to begin with. They dont need to improve much. Software has much more room to grow.
    07-10-11 12:47 PM
    They just need to be able to add BES support for the Playbook and the SD Card and USB host since the BES admins could disable access to those
    Same with the video Camera they can do that with.

then Enterprise customers wont be upset, the Tour with No Camera still had SD Card support
    The fact that it is there is enough now, BES isn't good enough.

I hear that the cameraless 9900 will ship without an sd card slot, this is the exact reason why RIM put 8GB flash on the phone.
    07-10-11 01:00 PM
    it would be nice if it could be used as a remote for tv dvd ect.
    07-10-11 01:07 PM
    it would be nice if it could be used as a remote for tv dvd ect.
    There are plenty of Boxee remote apps in App World. Once the PB gets DLNA it will work with any compatible device as well.
    07-10-11 01:09 PM
    SD card slot.
    Flash For Camera
    Few more buttons. I like the idea of a curve type button on each bezel.
    Even a few more buttons on the edge of the device. power, mute, volume up and down buttons aren't enough imo.
    They could add 1 or 2 to the side.

Maybe make the screen where its color or e-ink. THat would be nice. If u just wanna read books switch to e-ink and use very little battery.
    07-10-11 01:26 PM
    I'm all for the camera flash although I don't use the camera much.
    I would love to see zoom for the video camera though.
    But personally I would just as soon they take there time about releasing PB2, cause as soon as they do, support and updates for PB1 goes away and I don't really want to buy a new tablet every year. I think they have a lot left they can do to improve PB1 before they think about the next one.
    07-10-11 02:08 PM

As to what they should add...

Apps
    Email
    apps
    apps and
    apps.

Say what you will about a full web browser but apps work well and its what people have really become used too.
    Totaly agree, we need apps.
    07-10-11 02:35 PM
    I'm all for the camera flash although I don't use the camera much.
    I would love to see zoom for the video camera though.
    But personally I would just as soon they take there time about releasing PB2, cause as soon as they do, support and updates for PB1 goes away and I don't really want to buy a new tablet every year. I think they have a lot left they can do to improve PB1 before they think about the next one.
    I truly hope they are looking at the next one ALREADY! and are looking to be developing the OS with this one and RIM does one thing that I like about Apple and provides a few years of legacy support through OS's with QNX devices!
    07-10-11 09:11 PM
    What does everyone think RIM will add to the next gen of Playbook?

I'm thinking it will have the usual suspects: a higher resolution screen for sure, faster processor.

Unlike some other tablets they already have stereo speaker, hdmi out, usb and pretty good cameras. What's it going to be? Well, what would you like to see?

Besides an sd card slot and maybe a usb port, it has pretty solid hardware specs. Maybe a larger screen size and flash for the camera but most of all i would like to see are software updates
    07-10-11 10:46 PM
    the coolest thing ever for any tablet would be a built-in IDE (for the non code monkeys - integrated development environment). Imagine this use case - Take your PB to a coffee shop, setup a BT keyboard and start working on that app you've been building. Or, while you're killing time travelling on a train, download the latest release of your app from source control and start your UAT. yeah... that would be slick.
    07-10-11 11:40 PM
    A Lightsaber.
    07-10-11 11:57 PM
    The PB2 will have whatever is needed. There is no way we can tell what is going to be on the market by the time RIM makes the PB2. It took over 200 days for the PB to come out, and RIM has already stated that they are going to be putting all their focus on their phones for the next while. There was an article about the PB2 or 10"PB posted on CB, sure if you put 10" PB in the search youll find it, and that said somethings that it might come out with. But why even bother talking about the PB2 when its still years and years in the making. After RIM launches the QNX phones in 2012 *fingers crossed* and have dug themselfs out of this hole then lets talk about PB2 shall we.
    07-11-11 09:35 AM
    The PB2 will have whatever is needed. There is no way we can tell what is going to be on the market by the time RIM makes the PB2. It took over 200 days for the PB to come out, and RIM has already stated that they are going to be putting all their focus on their phones for the next while. There was an article about the PB2 or 10"PB posted on CB, sure if you put 10" PB in the search youll find it, and that said somethings that it might come out with. But why even bother talking about the PB2 when its still years and years in the making. After RIM launches the QNX phones in 2012 *fingers crossed* and have dug themselfs out of this hole then lets talk about PB2 shall we.
    The thing is (and it will make some heads explode around here) the PB2 is already fleshed out and being worked on. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine is currently working on it...
    07-11-11 11:38 AM
    replaceable battery
    move the ports from the bottom or put additional ones in the right or left side
    larger power button
    led flash
    keyboard dock
    expansion card slot
    full usb 3.0 support

07-11-11 12:58 PM
    The playbook 2 does NOT need apps. The QNX OS could have additonal functionality with more apps. RIM does not need to release a new playbook JUST to have more apps. The possible Playbook2 has nothing to do with apps and getting this hypothetical Playbook2 won't give you more apps.
    07-11-11 01:35 PM
    Less bezel, more display.

Keep the 7 inch form factor but give us a wider (more square) display. HD aspect ratio is awkward for general web browsing and computer use, and the keyboard is either too narrow in portrait mode or too wide in landscape mode- for web browsing either there is not enough vertical headroom (landscape orientation), or the font is too tiny to read in portrait orientation. Simply adding an inch of width in the smaller dimension would go a long way toward solving this, but keep the form factor the same, just less bezel in one dimension..

Why does it have to be HD aspect ratio for anything other than HD movies? The HD movies can be pumped out to an hdmi display for serious movie watching, other than that what's the point of making it too narrow in portrait mode to do anything useful?

Also GIVE ME A DAMN TRACKBALL AND REAL SLIDE OUT KEYBOARD! (and make the keyboard replicate the phone keyboards)

Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-11-11 at 01:46 PM.
    07-11-11 01:42 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD