What does everyone think RIM will add to the next gen of Playbook?

I'm thinking it will have the usual suspects: a higher resolution screen for sure, faster processor.

Unlike some other tablets they already have stereo speaker, hdmi out, usb and pretty good cameras. What's it going to be? Well, what would you like to see?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 10:01 PM
    Anything and Everything you can't imagine and Apple or no other tablet maker can implement, it will have all such features.
    Hope this satisfies you.
    07-09-11 10:08 PM
    Native PIM and email programs??? Just stirring you Evan. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a PB yourself yet?
    07-09-11 10:11 PM
    USB host support
    SD card slot
    adjustable screen timeout
    apps

ladybam likes this.
    07-09-11 10:17 PM
    I would like to see an sd card slot & the ability to put apps & data on it. I would also like native spell check & more gestures, of course these 2 could come on PB1 if RIM wanted too.

Way more app support oh and maybe make the power button stick out a little so that its easier to push. Native email and calendar would be nice. I think those were really the only thing people found wrong with the playbook other than its size which I personally love.

Getting very close. I'm thinking they will have email out after certification. Who knows when that will be though. I've played with the one at Harvey Norman a few times and love it. I don't really have a need for email being on there myself but agree that they need to get all the big apps out there asap. Should have been out yesterday

And I was more so thinking hardware wise for what they could add since the software could be added to Playbook now.
    Last edited by eKafara; 07-09-11 at 10:27 PM.
    07-09-11 10:18 PM
    Well with the way things are going, I don't expect another generation Playbook2 next year. As said, I see only (if anything) a reproduction of that 10inch BB tablet arriving next year.
    I mean they had planned it for the end of this year, but stopped production for the future of those QNX phones. Seeing how they need options in size for a tablet, and they seem to not have the resources for both sizes next year. So I see them reproducing that 10inch, and lowering the price of the original Playbook to balance price/size for BB options.

Anyways, what I hope they implant is NFC with Bluetooth v4.0 or better for next year. Atleast I hope they make that part of the tablet revolutionary for the Bridge function more. Other then that, I hope they can atleast keep up with the average leading tablet specs.
    07-09-11 10:34 PM
    Ability to connect a camera, or SD card, in order to download pics
    07-09-11 10:37 PM
    USB host support
    SD card slot
    adjustable screen timeout
    apps

i couldn't agree more. What apps do you really need? A well designed webpage negates the need for most apps, wouldn't you agree? Also doesnt the QNX OS mean that these tablets will not suffer the same problems as the current BB phones, apps will be ubiquitous and it wont matter whether you have a pb1 or pb2.

As for me I'd still like to see a pair of touchpads mounted right above the speakers. Excellent for scrolling, selecting text and playing games. A flash for the camera would be nice too. The radio signal will be nice too, the bridge browser isnt cutting it for me.
    07-09-11 10:44 PM
    I thought that one of the things that people were saying about the playbook is that they would not need to update every year. That BB would not "be like Apple" and need to do such minor updates. When do you think the new PB would be out?

As to what they should add...

Apps
    Email
    apps
    apps and
    apps.

Say what you will about a full web browser but apps work well and its what people have really become used too.
    07-09-11 10:50 PM
    A real AF camera and not the crap that the PB1 has. Also an LED flash would be sweet! Maybe more RAM and higher CPU clock speeds and SD card slot for sure. Oh, and a power button that works when you press it. That's all that I could think of on the hardware side. Doesn't make sense to bring up anything software related since whatever OS/Apps are available for the PB2 will be made available for the PB1.
    07-09-11 10:50 PM
    Say what you will about a full web browser but apps work well and its what people have really become used too.
    Amen...the whole "you don't need apps when a full web browsing experience is included" just doesn't work. A browser can't give you notifications and a properly optimized tablet app trumps the web app counterpart.
    07-09-11 10:52 PM
    A real AF camera and not the crap that the PB1 has. Also an LED flash would be sweet! Maybe more RAM and higher CPU clock speeds and SD card slot for sure. Oh, and a power button that works when you press it. That's all that I could think of on the hardware side. Doesn't make sense to bring up anything software related since whatever OS/Apps are available for the PB2 will be made available for the PB1.
    That "crap" camera of the PlayBook easily eclipses that of the competition... including the iPad. In fact the front camera of the PlayBook is better. I do agree however that a flash for the flash tablet would be good. Beyond that... a projector to display on white surfaces?
    07-09-11 10:56 PM
    I thought that one of the things that people were saying about the playbook is that they would not need to update every year. That BB would not "be like Apple" and need to do such minor updates. When do you think the new PB would be out?
    That would be wishful thinking. If RIM are going to make a decent profit, they will need to start putting their Blackberry hamsters on their wheel. They'll be releasing "upgraded" hardware pretty regularly I'd imagine, as soon as they're able.
    killa4luv likes this.
    07-09-11 11:03 PM
    Four feature buttons one each of the four sides of the bezel, that behave like the little mouse button on my Blackberry Curve 3G, that can move a cursor around in text fields, or act as a mouse pointer,.or joystick like control. Depending on how the PB is oriented they could act as right and left mouse buttons.

Also want a full featured RDP client.

Next I want network printing capability, and network file system browsing.

A shell application, that will allow me access to my own Playbooks QNX OS, and a native file manager, that allows me to associate what application opens which file type extension, or that will optionally allow me to pick an application to open the file with.

A Remote Oracle Client, that will allow me to connect to an Oracle DB to run PL/SQL. Something like Toad, or Benthic Golden.

Much Greater WIFI range!
    07-09-11 11:50 PM
    That "crap" camera of the PlayBook easily eclipses that of the competition... including the iPad. In fact the front camera of the PlayBook is better. I do agree however that a flash for the flash tablet would be good. Beyond that... a projector to display on white surfaces?
    The camera sucks for anything in low light and the shutter lag is so bad that the you're better off just using it for video taking, which it does a fantastic job at if the lighting is adequate. Take away some light and it's Grainfest Palooza on all your pics. Also, the fact that it's not an AF camera is just more reason to say that it sucks. Maybe it can be resolved with software, I dunno, but my Storm2 trounces the Playbook when it comes to picture quality.
    07-10-11 12:29 AM
    Ability to connect a camera, or SD card, in order to download pics
    a flash for the onboard camera would be nice. lol
    07-10-11 01:03 AM
    Well, before RIM is going to increase the screen resolution, they should build a solid foundation for developers to build apps on.

If you just change the resolution again and again, apps will never fit the screen and it will be a big mess for development. Looking and Android, this problem is spreading....
    Apple is doing it right here - slowly increase resolution, so developers know what to adapt to.

and personally I don't think RIM should bring out a Playbook 2 soon - that would kill them finally.
    07-10-11 01:06 AM
    I guess, RIM needs first to complete the present playbook before even considering to make another one... the present playbook is better than its competitors in terms of hardware specifications... but we all know that it needs more than that to compete with others... with same OS and limited applications, the playbook2 will add to RIM's headache...
    07-10-11 05:52 AM
    I think they just need to complete the current one before they even think about another one.
    OniBerry likes this.
    07-10-11 06:36 AM
    Agreed. But I think it will be interesting to see what they have in store for the Playbook 2. They will most likely have it come out a year after the first so it's very early to speculate. Most likely it will look like the first one, so I don't think it will be a shocker looks wise.

07-10-11 06:36 AM
    a flash for the onboard camera would be nice. lol
    Agreed. For such a great piece of hardware I was wondering why that got left off.
    07-10-11 09:48 AM
    assuming the Playbook 2 comes out in 1 years time I'd like to see RIM have:

same form factor, with slightly more rounded corners for easier portrait keyboard use.

MicroSD Card support
    USB Host Support
    LED Flash!
    Added Gestures!! - Add 2 finger's down to lock.

Add a LED notification light, with touch sensitive support, allowing features to be use on the LED like ignoring notification, launching notification app etc.

I'd like QNX to allow for multiple instances of an App, as an example multiple Browsers, for swiping back and forward between, multiple Sheets2Go instances, etc

I'd like RIM to include a comma delimited input for Autotext/word substitution so one can build and maintain a Autotext library for all devices on a network.

I'd Like RIM to include NFC, and GPS functions so company's like Garmin could sell the Map software to Blackberry playbook users.

I'd like to see the Playbook in 7" 10" and 17" sizes with docking station for all 3 sizes.

I'd like to be able to Run apps in split screen mode

Native email, Contact management would be a perk as well
    07-10-11 10:27 AM
    A trackpad would be the best and least intrusive addition as far as hardware goes. As far as software and screen resolution, I believe the former can be handled by the current model and the latter in not really needed IMHO. K.I.S.S.
    07-10-11 10:29 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD