Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadowyugi
  • 6 Post By NakedPaulToast
  • 2 Post By RobertM24
  • 1 Post By dbmalloy
  • 1 Post By CBCListener
  • 1 Post By whereiskype
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook x BlackBerry 10 OS (for like the umpteenth time)

Okay, so like, I get the delay and everything, plus the post that Kevin made about reasons why the BB10 OS might not come to the Playbook and it is getting to me. I am writing this post to maybe find out that I'm not the only one kinda hurt by this whole Playbook/BB10 conundrum. I mean, Getting the chance to use a BB10 device (OS and all) was a main reason for obtaining the Playbook, last year February... And time and time again, it keeps looking like it is never going to come on the device.

Might not, does not mean No... I get that...

But even if they were to make some BB10 copy that would run amazingly on the BB10, shouldn't they have said anything by now? (By 'they' I mean, BlackBerry, formerly Rim)... I am tired of rumours and endless rumours... Some hard truth would be appreciated every once a while.

To anyone who knows the answer (to a factual evidence to back it) please tell me... Don't mince words or anything. Just tell the truth. I have always been and probably will forever be, a BlackBerry Fan so I'm going to keep supporting (within my financial means) but...

Is the BlackBerry 10 OS (original or legit knock-off) going to come on the BlackBerry Playbook?

Cos if it is not, then it means I can sell my playbook and save the money (which wouldn't even be enough) towards obtaining a Z10 phone.
    backfire101 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

To anyone who knows the answer (to a factual evidence to back it) please tell me... Don't mince words or anything. Just tell the truth.
    OK, here is the truth, no mincing words.

It is completely unreasonable and naive for you to expect an authoritative, accurate response with evidence, when the CEO would not or could not answer the very same questions.
    Thanked by:
    Shadowyugi (02-09-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

I think Kevin's point was that when BB10 comes to PB, it will be a modified version that makes more sense for the PB (tablets). Like he said, the current bezel gestures are already great on the PB. The main advantages of "BB10" on the PB is the apps (well for me anyway) and then obviously things like improved browser, quicker boot times etc.

But his point was, if they just sort of take the Z10 OS and "copy and paste" it to the PB, it likely wouldn't create the optimal user experience.

Individuals from Blackberry have confirmed that the PB will get the update (Some form of BB10), unfortunately, no specific timeline
    ricocan and yamahammer like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Would be real PR issue... as Thor and Alec both indicated there would be an BB10 port would happen it would burn a lot of PR BB has been trying to build....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,891 Global Posts

Why would BlackBerry start working on BB10 for PlayBook, when its not even finalized for the Q10?
    IF you are going to here about it, it will most likely be at BlackBerry Live...
    Check out my app: CChecker
    Thanked by:
    Shadowyugi (02-09-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

lool I'm a tad afraid to ask but here goes... when is BlackBerry Live? lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,891 Global Posts
    Check out my app: CChecker
    CrackBerry Abuser

Once again...patience. RIM/BBRY has always been notoriously closed-mouth about anything they've been working on. There were rumours that RIM was working on a tablet, codenamed Cobalt at about the time of the launch of the iPad (which, when I found them, put me off buying an iPad). That was fully a year before PlayBook (sometimes called BlackPad, and even Surfbook...RIM even registered the domain name for the latter) was announced. The rather more openness related to BB10 was more of a strategy to maintain interest (which seemed to work...although so much was leaked that investors who had run up RIMM stock before the launch were disappointed when not much more was revealed in the launch presentation...although I doubt anyone would have appreciated Heins doing a Steve Jobs-like "and one more thing").

BBRY's focus right now *has* to be their core product line, in the successful launch of the Z10 and Q10. Anything else is a distraction from this main effort, for which Heins is to be commended for his single-mindedness. Watch...the wait will actually seem trivial once BB10 for the PlayBook arrives. As much as anything, it seems there's a need for both the Z/Q10 and the PlayBook to use the same core code, in order to restore features lost with the BB10 version of BlackBerry Bridge.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

That's the thing. I do get that. But what I keep thinking is that, if Heins had so much as mentioned or teased us about the Playbook on the 30th of Jan, I'm pretty sure the bulk of us would have simmered down. I've got quite a few things I wanna get that are coming out this year. And being a bit short of funds means I have to plan what is needed, what needs to be saved and what needs to be sold (sadly so... ) I love my Playbook...so much so that I named it (sad, I know loool) but I have also been in a position where I had to sell something I loved and enjoyed in order to be able to utilise the money for something else. That is what I'm trying to avoid here.

It would hurt if I sold and then the software update reaches the playbook... It would physically hurt me (i reckon)...

But thanks though, for all the replies... I will figure something out
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn

It's coming I do not recommend selling the PlayBook. Your not gonna get much money for it and when it does get updated you'll be kicking yourself in the azz.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

It will be there as in my post a few months back. The processor for the z10 and PlayBook are not the same thus the kernel will not work in the PlayBook. The playbook will be updated in May with Os 10 but it might not be the same as the phone.....

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

If it doesn't come out when the q10 comes out then it's not coming at all. I been royally screwed with this pb from launchday. Like yourself, I don't have 6bills to blow on tablets that can only surf the Internet. What's great hardware without great software? And now they're saying the pb isn't good enuff to run the software they should of had years ago? I've had people telling me wait wait then wait till 2.0 then wait till bb10 now it's back to wait wait again. Ive had all the bolds but I'm not going to invest in another bb unless they bring this pb up to par. Wait one month after the q10 and then take your losses and move on
    Thanked by:
    Shadowyugi (02-10-2013) 
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

It's not coming til summer! Can I buy your playbook?
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't know when it's coming out but I did stay at a holiday inn last night and I played a doctor on TV.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by rebroker2009 View Post
    It's not coming til summer! Can I buy your playbook?
    LOOOL How much are you willing to fork out for it? (O_o)
    PS: You probably wanna think in the unreasonable range