I've been watching the walking dead online from a few different sites and I came to the conclusion that the playbook is crap when it comes to using the browser. my connection is a 15mb download speed and on my PC I don't have any issues. the whole episode of the walking dead streams up while on the tablet it won't stream more than 3 mins of video. its wothless and freezes and buffers every min. I looked at the ram of tablet and its always at 350 MB's. is this normal? I love my playbook but if I can't watch movies on the road then what's the point? my browser is constantly hanging and freezing while even my bold 9930 would load pages 10 times as fast.
    02-01-13 05:27 PM
    Turn off flash and java see if that solves it
    02-01-13 05:31 PM
    Turn off flash and java see if that solves it
    really? ill definatly try that
    02-01-13 05:34 PM
    I usually stream Amazon Video, movies, tv shows, etc without any issues.
    02-01-13 06:42 PM
    I havent had a single problem. Maybe its your settings or connection
    02-01-13 06:43 PM
    remember streaming to playbook is akin to streaming to pc,,, it's all about the connection...
    02-01-13 06:46 PM
    I stream video on my playbook regularly, be it as simple as youtube, or as cumbersome as tv show library's on the networks websites.. always works very well as long as I have a decent connection... over wifi it's generally flawless.. over tethering, generally not so good (we'll see if this is better tethered to my z10 with LTE) .. oddly connected to the same phone via mobile hotspot works decently.
    02-01-13 07:00 PM
    I stream video on my playbook regularly, be it as simple as youtube, or as cumbersome as tv show library's on the networks websites.. always works very well as long as I have a decent connection... over wifi it's generally flawless.. over tethering, generally not so good (we'll see if this is better tethered to my z10 with LTE) .. oddly connected to the same phone via mobile hotspot works decently.
    I assume by tethering you mean by bridge? Because if thats the case you're limited to bluetooth speeds while with mobile hotspot you are on HSPA+ speeds
    02-01-13 07:09 PM
    I can say I have issues streaming as well. somedays it sucks, other days its great. I'm sure my pb could use a wipe but I don't want to lose my saved game data.
    02-01-13 07:10 PM
    "...but I don't want to lose my saved game data. "
    Would you loose it if you did a backup ??!
    02-01-13 07:12 PM
    Have to agree . Can't stream material on the PB that I can on my Ipad.
    02-01-13 07:28 PM
    remember streaming to playbook is akin to streaming to pc,,, it's all about the connection...
    My pc streams right up with no issues. The sites I use are flick peek and movies2K.com. Maybe one of you could try it and see if maybe its just the sites. I prefer playbook over PC because I can use my turtle beach headset with playbook.
    02-01-13 07:38 PM
    I also get the checkerboard loading screen on browser alot. I never got this checker stuff when I first started using the playbook. What's the point of having 1 gig of Ram if I'm only seeing about 300 MB's of it?
    02-01-13 07:40 PM
    We always stream the UFC prelims on the PB hooked up to the bigscreen. Usually works quite well. Not perfect by any means, but I think it has a lot to do with facebook since it lags on the computer as well
    02-01-13 07:43 PM
    No problems here....works GREAT. If it was worthless for streaming, I'm sure I would have read it on CrackBerry before now. How about this this for a thread title......I'm having problems streaming content to my PlayBook.
    BigAl_BB9900, Lehomer and Qaxl like this.
    02-01-13 07:46 PM
    I have the same issues with streaming videos on pb, it started about four months ago. I have completely wiped my pb. Thought it may have had something to do with side loaded apps. It didn't improve any thing. I don't have any issues with ipad or kobo arc on exact same sites exact same stream.
    02-01-13 07:54 PM
    Have to agree . Can't stream material on the PB that I can on my Ipad.
    Do you think alot of it has to do with the RAM? How much does your playbook say it has?
    02-01-13 07:54 PM
    I have the same issues with streaming videos on pb, it started about four months ago. I have completely wiped my pb. Thought it may have had something to do with side loaded apps. It didn't improve any thing. I don't have any issues with ipad or kobo arc on exact same sites exact same stream.
    I started deleting apps as well. I even deleted crackberry app because I thought it may have been running the memory low. Besides that I don't know of any apps that could be killing the playbook. I'm simply tired of the checkerboard screen. I thought it was a thing of the past but apparently not. Can you guys post your Ram #'s? I just wanna compare and see if my 350 MB is normal
    02-01-13 08:00 PM
    "...but I don't want to lose my saved game data. "
    Would you loose it if you did a backup ??!
    I have sideloaded android apps that wouldn't get backed up.
    02-01-13 08:05 PM
    I have been getting the checker board a lot more than when i got it new too. Streaming ok so far. Interesting thread.
    02-01-13 08:15 PM
    I've been watching the walking dead online from a few different sites and I came to the conclusion that the playbook is crap when it comes to using the browser. my connection is a 15mb download speed and on my PC I don't have any issues. the whole episode of the walking dead streams up while on the tablet it won't stream more than 3 mins of video. its wothless and freezes and buffers every min. I looked at the ram of tablet and its always at 350 MB's. is this normal? I love my playbook but if I can't watch movies on the road then what's the point? my browser is constantly hanging and freezing while even my bold 9930 would load pages 10 times as fast.
    Hi gees

Very surprised by your post as I stream content to my PlayBook most days - both over the internet and from a NAS (news sites, tv programmes, youtube clips, the odd movie, etc)

VERY RARELY have any problem that is not network related - the only other problems I have had (especially on earlier releases of the OS) just needed a restart to fix - I believe that all these non-Network-related problems were because I had been using Android apps on the PB - it seems to me that the worst offending Android app was OverDrive Media Console (the one that lets you borrow eBooks from your library)

Have had network problems because some routers behave differently depending on whether the router is set to g or n - never have any problems with my netgear and linksys routers - nor with the ones they have in Hilton and Marriott hotels

Have had slightly more problems with the iPad - but as it is a work device, am not sure if these are generic iPad problems, or because of the security s/w our IT dept have put on them

Good luck fixing your problem
    02-01-13 08:20 PM
    I looked at the ram of tablet and its always at 350 MB's. is this normal?.
    When's the last time that you rebooted?
    swanibs likes this.
    02-01-13 08:26 PM
    I think clearing the cache is in order here. Open Browser, swipe down for Browser Settings, goto Privacy and security and then clear cache.
    02-01-13 08:27 PM
    called netflix talked to manager complaing to cancell my service due to no blackberry support and he confirmed they are producing the app with blackberrys help thank blackberry fornworking so hard
    Qaxl and Stocklone like this.
    02-01-13 08:38 PM
    Not true. Amazon Prime Instant Video through the Adobe Flash enabled web browser rocks. I am a tablet junkie. My Ipad sucks for streaming Amazon Prime Instant Video (all video, really) because of the rear mono speaker and 4:3 aspect ratio. My Kindle Fire HD is only slightly larger than the PlayBook, yet the speakers are also in the rear and the screen brightness sucks (the PlayBook's screen brightness is second best of my eight tablets...only my Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T is brighter). So essentially, with the PlayBook as about the only stock tablet with Adobe Flash, it is the tablet I use for Amazon Prime Instant Video (only Kindle Fire/Fire HD and Ipads have apps for Amazon Prime Instant Video...Android tablets other than the Kindle Fire/Fire HD cannot utilize Amazon Prime Instant Video).

Also, YouTube via both the PlayBook app OR via Adobe Flash through the classic YouTube website is pretty much unique to the PlayBook, as both stock Android and Ipads do not support Adobe Flash.

And, as reported above, thanks to BB10, it is probably only a matter of time before the PlayBook will have NetFlix and Hulu Plus apps.
    Stocklone likes this.
    02-01-13 08:51 PM
51 123