Hello Everyone!

I am considering to buy a playbook in a near future but I am not sure yet if this is the right tablet for me.

I am working in mining industries, so I am traveling a lot and a laptop is a bit too big for plane and fields work. I have my 9810 to pair with for tethering options and my 9700 when on the field.

Here is what I need to do with the tablet:
    - Possibility to pick photos from my phone to review and edit
    - Possibility to sketch (app like Paint)
    - Read eBooks (epub & PDF format)
    - Ability to read/write flash drives (I think it's not possible yet)

For what else I need I know it's possible: Bluetooth keyboard, office suit & synching my phone's e-mail, calendar and BBM is available now.

Hope you can help me! Thanks!
    02-07-12 08:03 PM
    The PlayBook does do the majority of those tasks.

I say majority because I'm not 100 percent certain if you can side load epub files, I know through the Kobo app (preinstalled) that books bought through that should be epub if I'm not mistaken.

Not 100 percent sure about the sketching app, I'll look for any apps for that and report back tomorrow
    02-07-12 08:08 PM
    I already have the ePub files... just need an apps to read it when required because my 9810 have a little screen for book reading! :/
    02-07-12 08:14 PM
    There is an ePub reader in App World.
    Xop777 likes this.
    02-07-12 08:19 PM
    is it free ?
    02-07-12 08:23 PM
    There is 3 of them... $0.99 or $1.99. Pretty good reviews.
    02-07-12 08:26 PM
    Oops there is a 4th one I see also... plenty of choices at least
    02-07-12 08:27 PM
    Awesome! Look likes I'll go for it... The only thing that bug me is the missing capacity to read flash card or usb external drives... :/

Is there any apps for CAD (Computer Assisted Drawing) like SolidWorks ? I am using it for the job and it could be more than awesome...
    02-07-12 08:39 PM
    Get it. You'll love the size.

You don't need a laptop for the things you listed and OS2 is almost here
    02-07-12 08:40 PM
    Just checked, there is a number of sketch packages as well. Most from free to $0.99 for most of them. Some have good reviews. There is one for $9.99 but no reviews yet.
    02-07-12 08:41 PM
    I played few minutes with it at Staples... I seemed to be awesome but didn't go far enough... What will be brought with os 2 ?
    02-07-12 08:42 PM
    No real CAD software at this point. Maybe an Android app, but I guess we will have to wait and see when OS 2.0 comes out and see what Android apps will be available in App World then.
    02-07-12 08:49 PM
    ok! thanks this is not really needed but could be handy sometime to show in 3d what is needed to my welder/mecanic partners!

thanks for your help!

Will now seek infos about OS2 and what should come out!
    02-07-12 08:52 PM
    ok! thanks this is not really needed but could be handy sometime to show in 3d what is needed to my welder/mecanic partners!

thanks for your help!

Will now seek infos about OS2 and what should come out!
    native email, contacts, calendar, print to playbook, bb bridge 2.0, android app support, redesigned home screen, qt supports, stereo bluetooth, and other things.
    02-07-12 09:05 PM
    Uhhh, ability to read/write flash drives is NOT officially supported by the Playbook. Unless you want to root it (and then you're stuck on an old version) you can forget this. You can, however, access the media card on your BB phone via Bridge.

The Toshiba tablet (I forget what it's called) can read/write flash drives. Go check it out if that's really important... or get a, um, what's it called... laptop.
    alan510 likes this.
    02-07-12 09:22 PM
    Uhhh, ability to read/write flash drives is NOT officially supported by the Playbook. Unless you want to root it (and then you're stuck on an old version) you can forget this. You can, however, access the media card on your BB phone via Bridge.

The Toshiba tablet (I forget what it's called) can read/write flash drives. Go check it out if that's really important... or get a, um, what's it called... laptop.
    The size is exactly why I am looking for a tablet... I can imagine that one day or by physical port or by a BT adapter we'll able to access flash drives but for now it is not important... just like my 9810, I'll continue to use dropbox and my laptop...

But I hope RIM will let us access to this function since this would be so much an improvement to help them sell more than Ipad!
    02-07-12 09:59 PM

The Toshiba tablet isn't horrible. but it has lousy battery life.

If you can find one, the Asus Transformer Prime ($499 for 32GB or $599 for 64GB) has a separate keyboard/charging dock (and extra $150) that can not only run files off of a flash drive, but can power and use a full external hard drive as well. Plus the tablet has a microSD card slot and the keyboard has a full SD card slot. They are both spec'd at 32GB each, but people have plugged in 64GB and 128GB cards and they've worked just fine. Of course a 128GB SD card is the same price as a 1TB external HD.

For the current price of $299, the 64GB Playbook would be my tablet of choice, especially with OS 2.0 hitting this month. I can buy 1 over every size Playbook for the cost of the TFPrime and keyboard. But if I was in the market for a 10" tablet, that is the one I'd buy.
    02-07-12 11:41 PM
    The Toshiba tablet (I forget what it's called) can read/write flash drives. Go check it out if that's really important...
    Yeah, I was going to recommend this one too, it's the Toshiba Thrive .. It seems pretty nice, and has a lot of media drive plugs and slots to read anything from jump drive to SD cards. It also has interchangeable covers. I had considered that tablet for a while, but after owning the iPad I wanted something smaller (the Thrive is also 10 inches), so that's when I started looking at the Kindle Fire, Nook Color and of course the PlayBook.

On the PlayBook I downloaded "Book Reader" for $0.99 and it is definitely a good ePub reader! I side loaded about 15 books very easily and this app reads them very well. It's not as good of an eReader a Kindle or Nook app would be, but for 99 cents it's not bad at all. Hopefully once OS 2.0 hits, they ePub reader selection will expand.

The PlayBook has (in my opinion after owning a total of four tablets) the best hardware on the market. Once it gets 2.0, it'll be on level - if not surpass - many of the competition's software.
    02-08-12 01:08 AM
    It's not mandatory to have flash reading... I would have been nice to be able to retrieve pictures from cameras (having a waterproof one for the job)...

I was looking at the playbook because of the availability of BB App store and also of the android apps... So more possibility.

Also I already use/used 3 smartphone from RIM that are just tough and reliable compared to android and IPhone (Less crashes than my colleague, a good physical keyboard that help go faster, Tethering is also one of a useful option allowing the use of internet with my laptop anywhere I have network). Also the security is a matter when I am working over industrial secrets protocols/equipments, it reduce choice... When you read that only RIM's device are used for all US Government contracts due to it's high security from native encryption, This help... Not that I am working on government project but this is a nice hint to help decide wich tablet would do the job.

From my google search, setting encryption over a non-windows tablet is a pain in the except for RIM's PlayBook...

I guess that a day or another someone will come up with a dock that have USB and memory card reader on it!

little questions that pass by my head now and I think this is yes...

- Did do you guys tried to famous external batteries (like duracell and energizer rechargeable pak) with the Playbook ? Is that worth for extended work day ?

- Do the PB do it good in cold weather ? (I sometime going have to get to Canada's great north where morning are like -70celcius... Otherwise -30celcius is the usual morning temp at home.
    02-08-12 05:04 AM
    I have an USB 7,000 mAh battery that I use with my Playbook. Works fine. Charges the Playbook very slowly when the Playbook is in use but it does charge.
    02-08-12 08:58 AM
    Cool! How much usual runtime do you have with the in-board battery and how long the USB batt live ?
    02-08-12 09:13 AM
    There aren't any good photo editing or sketch programs as far as I know (some Android apps are beginning to show up though). I'd like to know if there are any decent ones, even if they are not free.
    02-08-12 09:22 AM
    Awesome! Look likes I'll go for it... The only thing that bug me is the missing capacity to read flash card or usb external drives... :/

Is there any apps for CAD (Computer Assisted Drawing) like SolidWorks ? I am using it for the job and it could be more than awesome...
    You cant really expect CAD Programs/Apps to appear or even work on a Tablets hardware. CAD programs are complicated so it would be hard to convert or make one just for a tablet (yet), and making it work with a touch interface is even harder.

The required/recommended hardware for x86/x64 are 8gb of ram minimum and will increase every year as technology increases software and hardware-wise.

A Tegra 3 or OMAP 5 (quad core+) devices may have a chance of running them if a app is ever released. For now a 2nd gen i7 with a high frequency clock (Ghz) and a good old quadro gfx will be the best

USB read/write compatibility is also questionable for the future. I have yet to see any information about it. What kind of memory does your camera use? SD, microSD, etc. Only if RIM included a microSD slot I could transfer photos and have more space on my playbook.

Everything else you asked for exists in the AppWorld. But there are no decent drawing/sketch apps. I dont think sketching would be that great on a tablet, maybe with a decent pointy touch pen.
    Last edited by xKrNMBoYx; 02-08-12 at 09:55 AM.
    02-08-12 09:51 AM
    You cant really expect CAD Programs/Apps to appear or even work on a Tablets hardware. CAD programs are complicated so it would be hard to convert or make one just for a tablet (yet), and making it work with a touch interface is even harder.

The required/recommended hardware for x86/x64 are 8gb of ram minimum and will increase every year as technology increases software and hardware-wise.

A Tegra 3 or OMAP 5 (quad core+) devices may have a chance of running them if a app is ever released. For now a 2nd gen i7 with a high frequency clock (Ghz) and a good old quadro gfx will be the best

USB read/write compatibility is also questionable for the future. I have yet to see any information about it. What kind of memory does your camera use? SD, microSD, etc. Only if RIM included a microSD slot I could transfer photos and have more space on my playbook.

Everything else you asked for exists in the AppWorld. But there are no decent drawing/sketch apps. I dont think sketching would be that great on a tablet, maybe with a decent pointy touch pen.
    Yeah well... Seams it exist already... AutoCAD WS - Web and Mobile Application for AutoCAD - Autodesk
    02-08-12 10:28 AM
    Have you tried using it on a particular device? Everyone has their opinion on what is "good enough" and my opinion of performance on a netbook or ipad is that its not great yet. 10.1" screen is already small to work on large projects like buildings (which is what i do). So doing that stuff on a 7" or a 3.5" screen isn't quite efficient.

If you're going to create simple things then I guess that sort of app will be good enough for you.

ps

*seems...unless its spelled seams in other countries
    02-08-12 01:00 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD