All of this stuff between Apple, Android, etc fails to address that most businesses use Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Office etc and these tablets do not work well with MS Office applications.

So my question, if I bought the Playbook, can I run Excel on it and save or move files easily between my laptop and Playbook?
    11-06-11 10:44 PM
    The PB is included with Word to Go, Sheet to Go (for excel), and Slideshow to Go

For editing Office documents. And yes you can easily transfer files to your PC. You can wirelessly access your Playbook from your PC.
    11-06-11 10:55 PM
    The current version of "Excel" is very weak - it does not even allow copy/paste one cell or a block of cells. It also is missing functions. There is some discussion that things might be better in the newer BETA version but that is not due out till maybe Feb.

Similarly, Word and Powerpoint versions are pretty narrow in features. You might want to try getting to a pb and trying it yourself.
    11-07-11 12:08 AM
    omg. The Powerpoint app is an epic fail.

I admit that you can connect via hdmi to a tv/projector which makes it handy and portable. However, do not expect your slide show to be anything more than simple. The pb ppt app doesn't do transitions, animations, or anything remotely advanced.

Furthermore, you can't edit or create new slide sows with the ppt app. It would be so amazing if you could...that's what fails about it most.
    11-07-11 01:23 AM
    I admit that you can connect via hdmi to a tv/projector which makes it handy and portable. However, do not expect your slide show to be anything more than simple.
    My phone (which predates the Playbook) is able to do the same thing, connecting via HDMI to present a powerpoint. It also comes with a better Excel/Powerpoint editor.

That said, I think you'd be best off using Android document editing apps (which are more featured than PB's) for office editing. Office Suite 5 works on Playbook, for example.

There's also online office apps like Google Docs and Office Live that may work.
    11-07-11 01:30 AM
    You might try Microsoft Office365 which allows web-browser-based access to Microsoft Office documents. However, Docs-to-Go on the BlackBerry PlayBook is useless for anything resembling real-world use. Another failure by Research In Motion.
    11-07-11 04:12 AM
    hopefully the tablet for professionals will get more business applications than obsolete jane austen books and tic tac toe HD. a full blown microsoft office is a must for $600 professional grade tablet. an outlook client maybe. visio.

the pdf reader is quite good though.
    11-07-11 04:48 AM
    Excel is useless. I purchased the same suite on the ipad and is 1000 times better. I simply do not understand why Playbook has such a weak solution of Documents 2 go, RIB being the owner of the software. Why give this competitive advantage to IPad?

In OS2 the suite is much improved. So why not update only this feature that raised so many negative comments? Why wait for a simple update of an office suite till February 2012 together with the OS2? For me is beyond comprehension.
    11-07-11 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD