Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker and I'm always hesitant to start new threads. I've tried finding help through past posts on my issue (which I know comes up a lot) but they never quite match up.

Like many others my PB went down and now will not turn on or charge. Most of the advice given centers around "wait for red LED then..." and a variety of suggestions. The problem for me is I get NO LED whatsoever. Sometimes, very rarely I might get a single blink of red for less then a second but almost everytime just nothing.

I have tried:
    -Stack charging (at various intervals)
    -Leaving it connected to the factory charger for 24 hours
    -Buying a quick charge pod
    -All manor of hold (buttons) for X amount of seconds

I contacted RIM and they're happy to send a replacement once I send mine in, but I use my playbook for business and I have confidential client information on there as well as some of my own and I hate the thought of the hard drive just disappearing and who knows who looking at it. I assumed they would just swap batteries but they said they would be sending a new one.

So apologies for a the new thread but I'd MUCH rather fix this myself if at all possible since I can't get my PB back apparently.

And a big thanks for anyone that has time to help, it means a great deal!
    09-22-12 09:54 AM
    Like you, I tried it all. Then I found a post where I was told to hold down the power button for 30 seconds, release for 5, then press once. Something about a "buffer" or something. It worked for me. If you haven't already, give it a try. It might be the best used 36 seconds ever.
    kasper888 and publisher220 like this.
    09-22-12 12:26 PM
    Like you, I tried it all. Then I found a post where I was told to hold down the power button for 30 seconds, release for 5, then press once. Something about a "buffer" or something. It worked for me. If you haven't already, give it a try. It might be the best used 36 seconds ever.
    Thanks jagrlover, I will try that. I'm open to any suggestion at this point.

Did you do this while plugged-in to the charger or unplugged?
    09-22-12 12:28 PM
    Not sure. Sorry.
    jobu99 likes this.
    09-22-12 12:58 PM
    Not sure. Sorry.
    I tried both plugged and unplugged and nothing.

Thanks anyway though. I'm getting really desperate at this point and don't want to have to send it in.
    09-22-12 01:01 PM
    Just checked an old post and I've given you the wrong numbers(not sure that it will matter though). Hold the power button down for 15 seconds(not 30), release for 5, then press once. Good luck.
    PyroJames likes this.
    09-22-12 01:08 PM
    Sorry for the delay, but sad report not a thing worked.

This isn't looking good.
    09-22-12 11:36 PM
    It may have already occured to you to check the charger and the doc charger. It could also be due to your playbook being dropped, but of course that didn't happen.....right?
    09-22-12 11:40 PM
    Hey Vantryumf,

I can confirm it's never been dropped. Last time it was working it was left gently on a sofa and picked up by be the next morning.

I've also brought it to a friends house and tried my charger(s) on his PB (worked fine) and his charger on my PB (absolutely nothing).

I've only had it about a month but I loaded a lot of important business information on it. No 8 second red, no blinking yellow. Just nothing with the occasional flash of red once in a blue moon.
    09-22-12 11:45 PM
    If anyone in the future is reading this and has a similar issue (NO lights or a single flash), it might save you some time to know that nothing I've read or researched has helped and I've had to bite the bullet and send it in for repairs.

Maybe I can save others the frustration in the future.
    HonnyBrown likes this.
    09-23-12 01:04 PM
    There was a recent thread that could be risky but using the right PLASTIC tools could work???

Take the backing off, open the case, unscrew the battery screws and detach, replace and try charging.

Again, you might ruin your warranty but if done carefully, there should be no sign of "entry" if it fails to work.

AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    09-23-12 11:56 PM
    Thanks for the tip F2.

I'm not a real techie type so I'm hesitant to start opening the thing up, especially if it risks the warranty. Is it a very difficult task to do correctly?
    09-24-12 12:34 AM
    Thanks for the tip F2.

I'm not a real techie type so I'm hesitant to start opening the thing up, especially if it risks the warranty. Is it a very difficult task to do correctly?
    I have not attempted to open a pb so I don't really know. But any sign of tampering, I'm sure, would invalidate the warranty. I know the post was in the last few days but don't recall in which of the "won't charge/won't turn on" threads. That physical battery disconnect has been discussed in a few threads sporadically and I think most have reported success but I certainly don't want to urge it.

I guess I would hope that the TECHS at the "fix it" factory are above checking out the data and/or don't have the time for such antics.
    09-24-12 09:39 AM
    Take off the Back COver. Unscrew battery lead. Disconnect battery for 20 seconds. attach batter and then connect charger.

Once it has charged for 20 to 30 minutes, disconnect the charger. Does it power up now?

If so put on the cover and let it fully charge.

I had the same issue as you and this fixed it.. I came up with it myself so i don't know if it will be the fix all these situations..

video how to take back off here.
    09-24-12 09:49 AM
    Thanks for the tip F2.

If you have warranty, call tech support and get and RMA.

This playbook i disconnected the battery on was out of warranty (launch day purchase)
    09-24-12 09:51 AM
    Take off the Back COver. Unscrew battery lead. Disconnect battery for 20 seconds. attach batter and then connect charger.

Once it has charged for 20 to 30 minutes, disconnect the charger. Does it power up now?

If so put on the cover and let it fully charge.

I had the same issue as you and this fixed it.. I came up with it myself so i don't know if it will be the fix all these situations..

video how to take back off here.
    Thanks for posting the method.

His issue is the security of the data on the "dead" pb during an rma process.
    09-24-12 10:30 AM
    Thanks for posting the method.

His issue is the security of the data on the "dead" pb during an rma process.
    If he wants to wipe it then power must be restored at home....or smash it to bits, and buy another - such sensitive data will hopefully be backed up. Sending it back without wipe is not an option.
    09-24-12 04:41 PM
    I'm new to forums but I managed to fix my playbook today.

After I searched around the internet about this problem, I managed to find a solution for my playbook.

Look at the charging port on the Blackberry playbook. See that small little piece inside of it? That piece needs to be level. In other words, it must be in the center of the charging port in order to initiate charging. Somehow, if it is not aligned properly, it will not charge or even turn on. Use a small metal object to level it in the center of the charging port. Once done, you can then plug in the charger and it should start working.

Hope this helps!

I got this information from here.

Playbook got to 0% battery and now it won't turn on? - BlackBerry PlayBook - iFixit
    Last edited by Commander789; 09-24-12 at 06:42 PM.
    09-24-12 05:16 PM
    Disconnecting the battery and re connecting worked! Only unscre the 2 screws by the battery. Thanks for the tip!
    09-24-12 06:40 PM
    This thread just saved my pb. Thank you!
    09-25-12 02:15 PM
    HI there.

Thought I would respond to this thread as it appears to be the latest one dealing with this issue. I too woke up this morning to an absolutely DEAD Playbook (is there a full moon or something?!) and, like jobu99, I do not get anything happening at all after trying all of the recommended solutions in this and other related threads. I've spent the last 2 hours with a stopwatch running, pulling the plug in and out and pressing on the power and +/- buttons. Not even a glimmer of a LED light for me - NaDa!

Thanks for posting the very detailed YouTube video here, Adrenaline _X, but there is no way in I am going to try to dismantle my Playbook and try what is being suggested here - too complicated for me. that I am, I never got around to sending in my Warranty Card so am probably SOL in that department - I've had my PB for over a year anyway. I guess, based on others' experience, I will try to find a tech person in my area and get them to try to fix this for me. Very frustrating! Despite all the negative publicity re RIM, I am still a believer, but I have to say, after going through THREE Torch 9800's in a year and now this, my patience is wearing thin!

Thank you Crackberry Forum users for your input and advice (even though it doesn't appear to have worked for me.) Any other last minute suggestions before I implode, please let me know.
    09-26-12 11:02 AM
    Awesome jagrlover this worked for me.

btw, Jagr one of the best players of his generation. Doesn't get enough respect in NHL circles.

10-13-12 09:59 PM
    Hi - I have the same problem and cannot seem to find out how to return my PB to RIM. May I ask who you contacted? I am running out of time before my year is up and I've been shut down twice by their helpdesk. Thanks, S
    11-08-12 12:56 PM
    i had this on my second playbook a few weeks ago. stayed up for hopeless hours while F2 was helping me. the stack charges seemed hopeless. did it for all the intervals, all he lengths of holding the buttons, hard reset buttons,etc. was so hopeless for like 6 hours of playing wih it and being plugged in overnight. eventually and randomly it came to life. dont give up and just keep doing it all.
    11-08-12 03:03 PM
    The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    11-08-12 06:15 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD