Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree4Likes
  1. HackBerry123's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Playbook won't turn on, boot, or charge. LED flashing red.

    so today i went to turn my playbook on and when i did i didn't turn on so i thought nothing of it and pluged it in to the charger but now al that happens is the LED flashes red 2 every few seconds and it wont boot or charge any help on this please ?
  2. bounce007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,510 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,545 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I would take it off the charger for a few hours (12-24) then plug it back up and see what happens from there. If that doesn't work take it back to where ever you bought and you should not have a problem getting a new one (providing you haven't voided your warranty).

    The last thing I would do is contact RIM as I have read from multiple crackberry users how unhelpful they were (I don't know this for myself).

    Sorry mate and best of luck to you.
    Last edited by bounce007; 08-07-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Misspelt word
    Thanked by:
    HackBerry123 (08-07-2011) 
  3. domenic_lo_russo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    197 Posts
    PIN
    28ED1A69
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HackBerry123 View Post
    so today i went to turn my playbook on and when i did i didn't turn on so i thought nothing of it and pluged it in to the charger but now al that happens is the LED flashes red 2 every few seconds and it wont boot or charge any help on this please ?
    Keep it plugged in to the charger...hold the power, volume up/down and play buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds or so.
    Thanked by:
    HackBerry123 (08-07-2011) 
  4. #4  

    Default

    As well as Dominic's suggestion - you can sometimes just hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds or so to really force it off. Leave it, then press it again. But the 3-button reset is a good option.

    Good luck
    Thanked by:
    HackBerry123 (08-07-2011) 
  5. HackBerry123's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    ill try now
  6. HackBerry123's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    just tried that and when i hold all three buttons for 20 seconds the led stops flashing but the playbook dose nothing and as soon as i press the power button the led starts flashing again so i thought id just leave it plugged in and see if it charges
    Thanked by:
    Crayden (11-22-2012) 
  7. Gerbelpix's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I posted a reply in the thread "frozen playbook" about my completely unresponsive pb, describing my experience. Long story short, what brought mine back to life was plugging it into my desk computer via the usb cable. It took many attempts of plugging in and unplugging it, but eventually I was able to communicate with it through the Blackberry desktop software. I disagree with one of the previous posters who said not to bother contacting RIM - I found them to be very responsive and helpful. In fact, the technician even phoned me the next day to make sure everything was still working ok.
    bounce007 likes this.
  8. fastrx's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    92 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    i just went through the same problem

    the playbook will blink twice red

    plug it into your computer
    it will say that it can't communicate
    on that screen it will say
    retry, update, cancel
    hit update

    it will retore your playbook. just let it go through its paces. when its done, hook it up to the wall charger and let it charge. it should come back to life after 20%.
  9. wellard's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I'm having a similar issue with mine. Currently it won't charge. When I press the power button it shows the red LED followed by 5 yellow flashes which indicates a dead battery. If I put it on charge it will say it's fully charged in a few seconds. I can use it if it's plugged in but it will shut down when unplugged.

    If you can switch it on it's well worth buying the 'Battery Guru' app as it will give much more detail about the condition and current state of charging.

    If you leave it for a few hours or a day or 2 you'll probably find it will work perfectly again, but for how long is anyone's guess. Mine has done this 3 times now so got an RMA just waiting for the replacement. Check my previous posts for more info on this issue.

    Good luck!

    Oh and I've reinstalled the OS twice which didn't make any difference.
    Thanked by:
    southboxer (06-19-2012) 
    southboxer likes this.
  10. thekapitu's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    26 Posts
    PIN
    2717813F
    #10  

    Thumbs up rim tech

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbelpix View Post
    I posted a reply in the thread "frozen playbook" about my completely unresponsive pb, describing my experience. Long story short, what brought mine back to life was plugging it into my desk computer via the usb cable. It took many attempts of plugging in and unplugging it, but eventually I was able to communicate with it through the Blackberry desktop software. I disagree with one of the previous posters who said not to bother contacting RIM - I found them to be very responsive and helpful. In fact, the technician even phoned me the next day to make sure everything was still working ok.
    I also had very good exp. withe the tech's from rim... Very helpfull
    BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
  11. sookster54's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    863 Posts
    Global Posts
    965 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by domenic_lo_russo View Post
    Keep it plugged in to the charger...hold the power, volume up/down and play buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds or so.
    ^ this, if that doesn't work then you definitely have a DOA (or a dud battery), the fact that you are getting a red light means it's working in one way or another.
    Curve 9300 (unlocked) - 6.0.0.534
    PlayBook (32GB) - 2.1.0.1088
    Quote Originally Posted by D2VW14_20
    Only reason he hasnt responded yet is he had to do a battery pull and its still loading
  12. TaZ52083's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,912 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,917 Global Posts
    PIN
    ┌П┐(>_<)┌П┐
    #12  

    Default

    This just happen to me today was at a restaurant then it turned off didn't want to turn on my battery life was in the 60's. Called customer support they stated to cycle power on and off with charger 5 times but when i tried that iy didn't turn on the first time. So i called once again customer support they stated to press power and volume button which restores battery to whic original state when it turned off. After doing that my pb 64gb is back on running great yippy. This had me worried for a minute lol. Hope my issue can help someone else here.
  13. kevin1686's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    49 Posts
    PIN
    2302BA56
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaZ52083 View Post
    This just happen to me today was at a restaurant then it turned off didn't want to turn on my battery life was in the 60's. Called customer support they stated to cycle power on and off with charger 5 times but when i tried that iy didn't turn on the first time. So i called once again customer support they stated to press power and volume button which restores battery to whic original state when it turned off. After doing that my pb 64gb is back on running great yippy. This had me worried for a minute lol. Hope my issue can help someone else here.
    Did u have to hold both volume control or just one of them?? This issue started this morning for me

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  14. TaZ52083's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,912 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,917 Global Posts
    PIN
    ┌П┐(>_<)┌П┐
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin1686 View Post
    Did u have to hold both volume control or just one of them?? This issue started this morning for me

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    First try this hold at the same tim low,play, and high volume button if that doesn'y work then hold this at the same time power and high volume button.
  15. gomab357's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fastrx View Post
    i just went through the same problem

    the playbook will blink twice red

    plug it into your computer
    it will say that it can't communicate
    on that screen it will say
    retry, update, cancel
    hit update

    it will retore your playbook. just let it go through its paces. when its done, hook it up to the wall charger and let it charge. it should come back to life after 20%.
    I tried this option (along with all others listed above/below), and when I hit update, it still can't connect to my playbook. It has been 2 days, and it is really annoying!
    peen likes this.
  16. yuanito's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    worth to try and YES it did worked! pressing all the 3 buttons POWER+ 2 VOLUMES, it took just twice of the try and within a seconds it turned on, but honestly i really want to know the main reason of the shutdown. My theory is that during the browsing of videos and so on it just lagged then pffffft turned off. Maybe reasons behind these are viruses during the browsing as i can see laptops and desktops should have one of the anti's to survive against many threats. Considering tablets is seemingly same specs ALMOST with laptops and deks. just a theory. Well for me hope mine will not come into twice happening 'coz if that so need to send it back either shift to apple (w/c i dont wanna happen then)
  17. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    10,039 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,058 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yuanito View Post
    worth to try and YES it did worked! pressing all the 3 buttons POWER+ 2 VOLUMES, it took just twice of the try and within a seconds it turned on, but honestly i really want to know the main reason of the shutdown. My theory is that during the browsing of videos and so on it just lagged then pffffft turned off. Maybe reasons behind these are viruses during the browsing as i can see laptops and desktops should have one of the anti's to survive against many threats. Considering tablets is seemingly same specs ALMOST with laptops and deks. just a theory. Well for me hope mine will not come into twice happening 'coz if that so need to send it back either shift to apple (w/c i dont wanna happen then)
    A. Hang
    1. Viruses on a brand new O.S is quite a zero probability
    2. Crashing your browser or UI, resulting in a system hang is more probable

    B. Viruses and other plateforms
    1. As stated in A, the older (and exposed) the OS is, the higher the risk are
    2. Never hang on Ipad (or any other device) ? That's a legend.

    More simple way to do a hard ...
    1. stop : keep the stop button down for almost 15 seconds
    2. reset : keep the '+' and stop button until the red light goes on (still) and let your PB restart.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by:
    the_other_island (01-30-2012) 
    the_other_island likes this.
  18. the_other_island's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    #18  

    Default playbook wouldn't turnon

    Thanks so much for the posts- my playbook shut down (daughter was playing Scrapbook app and it went go below 20% charge I guess for 1st time) . I kinda panicked when charging it over night didn't do anything. Then I remembered this forum and post - yeah!! The 3 button method got it up again - was fully charged but needed the kick start.
  19. Screen_Munch5's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    2 flashing red LED lights in a blink blink pause sequence is a BOOT ROM error; you need to reload the software, it is not related to charging. Flashing red and then amber/yellow lights are battery drain issues, you need to stack charge for 2 minutes, then disconnect for 2 minutes. Perform a stack charge for about 10 reps then try powering on. Red flashing LED followed by green LED is a critically low battery which has drained below it's reserve. Not even a 100 stack charges will help you ! Buy a rapid charger, charge it up, than return it.
    If you need help with a software reload, my suggestion is to call tech support, if hitting update isn't reloading the software, than some troubleshooting may need to happen with the computer.
    Good luck!
  20. Berry_Geezer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Screen_Munch5 View Post
    2 flashing red LED lights in a blink blink pause sequence is a BOOT ROM error; you need to reload the software, it is not related to charging. ...
    If you need help with a software reload, my suggestion is to call tech support, if hitting update isn't reloading the software, than some troubleshooting may need to happen with the computer.
    Good luck!
    I've had my PB less than 24 hrs. It's been usable for less than 4.

    I was at the "how to make bridge connection" when the PB locked up and I used the 3 button hard reset to turn it off. Encountered the red blink blink pause repeat sequence. Tried the various 3 and 4 button sequences, nothing. At one point I was getting two red pause, 4 red pause, 4 red pause. Have not tried to re-boot since.

    Should I just return the damn thing?

    Must say that my confidence in RIM has plummeted, erasing the solid positive experience provided by the BB 8530.

    A boot ROM error implies that the problem is more than a software burp.

    Thanks for your info.
  21. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Yesterday one of my BlackBerry PlayBooks was fully discharged and would not recharge on the rapid charger until I connected it to the computer via USB cable and waited a few minutes before unplugging the tablet and putting it on the rapid charger again. When fully discharged (0%) and will not boot up it just takes some fiddling, figuratively speaking, until the tablet recognizes that a recharge is supposed to begin. Too many people jump to conclusions about faulty hardware and proclaim that RMA'ing the tablet is the only route to salvation and the promised land of Nirvana.
  22. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berry_Geezer View Post
    I've had my PB less than 24 hrs. It's been usable for less than 4.

    I was at the "how to make bridge connection" when the PB locked up and I used the 3 button hard reset to turn it off. Encountered the red blink blink pause repeat sequence. Tried the various 3 and 4 button sequences, nothing. At one point I was getting two red pause, 4 red pause, 4 red pause. Have not tried to re-boot since.

    Should I just return the damn thing?

    Must say that my confidence in RIM has plummeted, erasing the solid positive experience provided by the BB 8530.

    A boot ROM error implies that the problem is more than a software burp.

    Thanks for your info.
    Did you bother reading knowledge base article (KB26748) - BlackBerry PlayBook tablet fails to boot and displays flashing red LED in sequence blink blink pause?
  23. Berry_Geezer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    Did you bother reading knowledge base article (KB26748) - BlackBerry PlayBook tablet fails to boot and displays flashing red LED in sequence blink blink pause?
    Bless your heart for posting the link to the BB Knowledge Base Page, that I "haven't bothered to read" in the 24 hours I've had the device.

    From your link:

    "Cause:
    This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available."

    So the suggested work around might solve the problem long enough to obtain constructive use of this consumer device for a while but BB doesn't have a clue as to the source of the problem.

    Thanks, but I'm going to pass and try to get a refund while I still can.

    Have a good day, and thanks again for the bother.
  24. DiggerB9's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    I bought 2 PB's in early Jan 2012 and charged whilst set them up for myself and in readiness for my daughters birthday.

    When her birthday came we let her have a quick go and then told her we need to charge for quite while and then she will be ok after school.

    It never did charge although both chargers worked fine on mine. I rang the support and spent 1h 37 mins with them trying everything i had already tried from on here and even tried putting the charging cable in for 2 mins then then for 2 mins for a total of 20 attempts! Still nothing bar red light light followed by 5 blinking yellowy green lights!

    I was then asked if i had bought the rapid charger pod to which i explained i had only been in possession of the PB for 3 days. They had no answers and said to send it to them for two weeks and they would try to repair advised was a gift and managed to get it exchanged with the vendor instead luckily.

    Forgot to say on 1st post, have now bought the rapid charging pod just in case!
    Hopefully you manage to get yours started and hopefully any of the above work for you otherwise i suggest you get a replacement from the vendor if possible.
    Last edited by DiggerB9; 01-31-2012 at 06:27 AM.
  25. Barljo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Sorry to hijack an old thread... but, for those of you impatient for 2.0, I can wait a few more hours yet...

    Woke this morning, made a coffee, logged onto CB. Updated the bridge app on my torch, played with my ps3 remote feature. Cool! I'd been holding off on touching my PB this morn, to try and keep patient. I thought "I'll turn that on and have a play with the bridge whilst waiting for the os update.

    Got the double flashing red light. Why, my PB, why?! I've had one crash & a handful of browser crashes in the last 9 months. Why today?!?! Haha.

    So, I'm starting again over DM just now. For some reason, I backed up for the first ever time yesterday, just to see if I could.

    Keep everything backed up kiddies - you never know!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions