Ok i know there are loads of threads about Playbooks not starting but i couldn't find any reference to this problem in them and i wanted to check out if anyones had and solved this problem before ringing UK support .
    When i switch on a Red light comes on and then goes off after about 10 secs , then a solid green light comes on for about the same time . Eventually the boot up screen (Blackberry Playbook with changing colours) comes on for what seems like an eternity then it just shuts down .

When i try the Stack methods it just goes into the above cycle or occasionally after the green light when i remove the charger the plug/arrow/lightning symbol comes up until i plug the charger back in .
    Your help would be appreciated !

it's a Playbook 32GB with the 2.1OS
    10-13-12 05:18 AM
    You have tried holding the power button for 30 seconds or so?
    10-13-12 06:56 AM
    I can only suggest leaving it on a charger for a few hours then trying again. If that doesn't work, maybe debricking it.
    10-13-12 08:46 AM
    This reminds me of the problem that occurred if someone moved or created ONLY FOLDERS to the "Quick Launch" bar (the topmost items). (what is that group of icons called???).
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-13-12 10:07 AM
    Tried everything i could find on the forums , finally debricked it , still nothing . Rang up CS and now it's been RMA'd , must say CS were extremely good and helpful , top marks to RIM for that !
    10-13-12 02:49 PM
    I have had a similar problem a couple of times, I charge my playbook, and when I turn it on either nothing happens, black screen, or it will start loading up and then just turn off. The only way to start it is to keep pressing the start button and replug in the charger. Up to know this has worked, very strange, sure it is something to do with the charger.
    10-13-12 03:23 PM
    Just thought i'd let everyone know what's been going on.......
    13/10 - Early Saturday evening i contacted CS about the Playbook , they suggested several things , all i'd previously done ( see above posting ) they issued a RMA .
    15/10 - Got an e-mail saying a package was on it's way from Germany ( No UK repair company ?)
    16/10 - RMA package arrived ( Box , return Fedex envelope , instructions ) . The only thing i would say is the instructions could do with being a little bit clearer , as in what to put where ! The tricky bit was getting through to Fedex and arranging a pick up time !!! A local drop off point would have been better but apparently they don't do that in our area (or the UK ?)
    17/10 - Parcel picked up AM when i was told between 2 and 5pm !
    18/10 - AM...... Parcel arrived in Germany .
    PM....... E-mail arrived saying that there is a package coming to me from the same company in Germany due to arrive Friday by 6pm !

So....... Either they've fixed it very fast or they found out they couldn't fix it - very fast - and are sending me a replacement .
    Can't wait !
    kbz1960 and Carl Estes like this.
    10-18-12 04:31 PM
    Your PB's symptoms sound similar to what I experienced earlier this year.

If you've put all folders onto the Dock, and no apps then it's likely you wont get past the welcome animation coloured balls screens.

You'll need to re-install the software via Desktop Mgr and then ensure that you have some apps on the Dock - not just folders.
    10-18-12 05:24 PM
    My brand new 64G Playbook die on me yesterday. When I first got it a few weeks ago from The Source. It was fine charging. I upgraded to 2.0 to 2.1 Beta to 2.1 official upgrade. Downloaded some games and apps, fully charged , turn on the airplane mode , turn off the unit, nicely restore into the box like brand new. The unit start chiming last night, took me awhile to figure out the new unit need recharging. It shows less than 2% of battery. When I plug in, the screen was black, there's no red light or green light. Follow all the methods from this site to no avail.
    Computer did not recognize when plugged in. I heed the advice of the tech from BB to charge it over 8 hours, nothing happen. Finally the tech gave me a ticket number to have the unit send back. It's good that I have my first Playbook with me, otherwise I'll be lost without one! It's good that RIM is paying for the shipping through Fedex. I don't believe, had it been my Ipod touch or Imac, I would have to line up at the genius bar to get any service.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-18-12 06:39 PM
    My brand new 64G Playbook die on me yesterday. When I first got it a few weeks ago from The Source. It was fine charging. I upgraded to 2.0 to 2.1 Beta to 2.1 official upgrade. Downloaded some games and apps, fully charged , turn on the airplane mode , turn off the unit, nicely restore into the box like brand new. The unit start chiming last night, took me awhile to figure out the new unit need recharging. It shows less than 2% of battery. When I plug in, the screen was black, there's no red light or green light. Follow all the methods from this site to no avail.
    Computer did not recognize when plugged in. I heed the advice of the tech from BB to charge it over 8 hours, nothing happen. Finally the tech gave me a ticket number to have the unit send back. It's good that I have my first Playbook with me, otherwise I'll be lost without one! It's good that RIM is paying for the shipping through Fedex. I don't believe, had it been my Ipod touch or Imac, I would have to line up at the genius bar to get any service.
    10-18-12 06:40 PM
    I put almost all of my my apps in folders months ago. My dock has only folders on it and no individual apps. I have not had any problems at least yet. Maybe I better cross my fingers and toes.
    10-18-12 10:40 PM
    This morning a package arrive from RIM , A brand new 64GB Playbook ! A note was inside saying the original couldn't be repaired so they'd issued a replacement .
    Must say this is the best customer service i can remember having with a faulty item . Top marks to RIM !
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    10-19-12 11:48 AM
    My playbook loads, with "BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK" letters and all the colours, and then he turns off!!
    Doesnt have warranty... any help?
    02-14-13 12:20 PM
    My playbook loads, with "BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK" letters and all the colours, and then he turns off!!
    Doesnt have warranty... any help?
    How old? Rim has been known to fix even out of warranty but there's no guarantee.

You might try the Debrick method.

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    02-14-13 03:48 PM
    Also, make sure it is fully charged.
    02-14-13 03:49 PM
    Thanks for fast help!! I'm trying trough desktop manager.
    02-15-13 03:28 AM

1)Installed (yes)

2) Connecting to device, it can take a few minutes... ( it's Portuguese)
    02-15-13 03:34 AM
    Doesnt work.
    Says cannot connect to device. The device is BLACK (off) ... and windows desktop manager said "cannot connect to device" ...
    i disconnected USB and connected wall charger and now it shows yellow LED.
    Now is turning ON with BLACKBERRYPLAYBOOK letters, and showing all colours.
    after all coulours, he just turns OFF...

I tried all again, desktop manager, update... it installs and when it says "the device will turn on" the red led lights up and then blinks yellow 3 times and OFF...
    Last edited by fabio984; 02-15-13 at 04:39 AM.
    02-15-13 04:06 AM
    Did you fix it?? If so how, I have now spent 2 days trying to fix mine...my computer doesn't even recognize when the playbook is connected....
    09-10-13 08:39 PM
    QuackQuack has a list of error codes. Perhaps you could search in the Knowledge Base and get more info.

http://forums.crackberry.com/members...ck147-3826211/
    09-10-13 09:51 PM
    Never had the issues before and suddenly got my playbook stuck when loading internet browser. Restarted and got into endless Welcome screen with colored background. Nothing helped: holding power button for 10 seconds; for 30 seconds; removing and re-inserting power cord while holding power button. Mind you, I didn't want to re-brick my PB. Don't remember in what thread I found that holding Power + Left Volume + Right Volume 3 buttons together until PB resets resolved the issue for me. Pressed all 3 buttons simultaneously and waited for PB to restart. Once restarted it loaded just fine with no any problem at all.
    Hope this might help.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-03-13 05:35 PM
    Hello, Any updates on this? My playbook turns on, has enough battery, shows the start up animation and then turns off. CS is not an option for me (third world dweller), and the warranty expired. What can I do? I already tried reloading the OS on Desktop Manager but after a long time the OS installs succesfully but then gives an error screen (cannot connect to device) and when I press the power button on the PB it has the same problem.

I'm having a deja vu with my old Torch 9860 and its red light of death
    11-03-13 07:15 PM
    For bubbles and grins, try and remove and reinstall BBDM. It may need to reload the drivers for the PB. Plugging into the SAME usb port? could also be a USB address issue if a different usb port. If that, then you need to reload all drivers for that USB port.

I had that issue a loong time ago, and tried the process which was messing up my Epson Printer, fixed.

All on Windows 7.

c
    11-04-13 10:46 AM