Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook won't open certain PDFs properly

hiya,
    i have a 32gb playbook with the latest OS upgrade. as i've yet to find a better pdf reader, i use the adobe one that came with the pb (if you know of any other app that can do highlighting, bookmarks, etc, do let me know!). i use it all the time to open pdfs for university that are given to me by lecturers and have had no problem with that in almost a year.
    now however i've made my own pdfs scanning some stuff - pdf were made with the printer's own software. i can open the files just fine on computers, but when i try and open them on the pb, i get a gray screen and "page 1/0". the files are slightly bigger than anything i've used before, to be fair, but still, 4mb should not be that big a problem (i had actually had something similar happen before with a 2mb file - it'd open, the first few pages were fine, and after like 20 (over 550 or so) they'd just become white with no text).

is there anything i can do? i've checked the file names and there's nothing special in them - only character i've used is "-" which i have in plenty of other files that opened just fine. (though just for the sake of it i tried taking all special characters out of one filename and still nothing changed). maybe a different pdf reader can handle these files?

thanks very much for any help!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

From the Adobe website,

"Non-compliant PDFs

Reader and Acrobat block PDFs that do not conform to certain industry-specific PDF standards. For example, Reader and Acrobat block PDFs that can allow potentially harmful content to load, or PDFs created with bad syntax. These PDFs can pose a security risk to your system.

PDFs created from non-Adobe products don't always comply with the complete PDF specification, and therefore do not open in Reader or Acrobat. In addition, earlier versions of Reader or Acrobat are not as strict in their conformance to PDF standards as are newer versions. Each new version of Reader or Acrobat forces PDFs to be more compliant to the PDF specification. So, you could have been able to open a particular PDF in an older version of the product, but not in the latest version. If you know and trust the creator of the PDF or where it came from, decide if you want to revert to an earlier version of Reader or Acrobat to open the PDF. "
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Try modifying and then saving the PDF using this free programme. PDFescape - Free PDF Editor & Free PDF Form Filler Also, you might want to give PDF Reader from BlackBerry AppWorld a try before using PDFEscape.

There are the sideloaded Repligo Reader, an Adobe app. There's the one listed above, PDF Reader and there's qPDF. There later two are in appworld. I don't know if they serve all of your needs.
    CrackBerry User

My issue is that I get invoices emailed to me on PB and Bold 9900. The Bold will show text if prompted but if I try to view the document in its entirety on either device I just get cells and no print within them. The documents open fine on a computer so I'm wondering what the difference with the readers?
    May God give us a horizontal Bold slider one day