Sorry if this really obvious question has been asked before, but Google was inconclusive as it says Apple M4A files are supported...

...so, I hook up the PB to my Windows 7 computer and install the BlackBerry Manager. My PlayBook appears as a Network Drive much like my Z10 does and it's "Mass Storage". I go to my iTunes / Music folder on the PC, highlight all files and copy. I dump the whole lot over the PlayBook / Music folder and leave it. Some 3 hours and a purported 39GB of transfer later (without any errors from either side saying nothing could be copied), I notice on the PlayBook side all the M4A files just don't appear. Folder structure is an exact 1:1 of the iTunes folder, just no music. I have MP3 and WMA files ok, but most of my recent music is in Apples M4A format, so what did the PlayBook do with them?

I really am stumped, as if anything couldn't copy to the destination, Windows would have said so. *shrugs*

Awesome Z10 on 4G EE. BBM 2B80D5C2 or Tweet @geekl33tgamer :-)
    03-07-14 04:14 PM
    Well, according to the page about the BlackBerry PlayBook OS, support for .m4a audio files is clearly stated. Maybe you can try the foobar2000 and Nero AAC audio and see how it goes (I use this two to create .m4a files than iTunes).
    geekl33tgamer likes this.
    03-07-14 04:35 PM
    Well, according to the page about the BlackBerry PlayBook OS, support for .m4a audio files is clearly stated. Maybe you can try the foobar2000 and Nero AAC audio and see how it goes (I use this two to create .m4a files than iTunes).
    Took your idea and used Avs4You's media recoder to bulk convert all M4A files into MP3. Seems to have done the trick.
    03-07-14 05:27 PM
    Took your idea and used Avs4You's media recoder to bulk convert all M4A files into MP3. Seems to have done the trick.
    I'm glad it worked but for quality reasons, I advice you to not to do that. You see, an .m4a file is a lossy codec, which means from a CD, the music is compressed, filtered out some inaudible frequencies (20kHz~) so you can have a small file to fit in a portable device, for example, your smartphone. .mp3 is also a lossy codec, and converting a lossy file to another lossy file makes it undergo another filtering and other operations which makes your music sounds worse. If you have an original CD, you can try ripping it directly to .mp3.
    03-07-14 05:44 PM
    The Playbook supports m4a audio files. The stock Music app will recognize and play m4a files, and the stock File Manager recognizes m4a files as music files. You shouldn't need to convert anything. Try copying just one m4a file over to your PB and see what happens.
    03-07-14 11:25 PM