i recently upgraded my PC from Win 7 to Win 8 and now am unable to connect my playbook to my PC, i keep getting this error "BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device." asking me to update to the latest software. i already have updated my PB but am still having issue.
    PS. i also installed microsoft .net 3.5
    please advise
    02-25-13 01:27 AM
    windows 8 is quite the trainwreck. I just ordered an imac with hopes of a better experience. I am the last guy you would ever think of buyi g apple. windows 8 just is a total mess. this comes from a windows user since windows was released way back when.
    02-25-13 01:57 AM
    i recently upgraded my PC from Win 7 to Win 8 and now am unable to connect my playbook to my PC, i keep getting this error "BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device." asking me to update to the latest software. i already have updated my PB but am still having issue.
    please advise
    Had the same problem was driving me crazy to the point I did a refresh on my HP. Which end up clearing out all of the BlackBerry programs. Restarted computer, then downloaded the DM, this time windows pop up and said it needed to update the. Net 3.5 and it's been working great since.
    Even downloaded BlackBerry Link and the PB is running great on it.
    02-25-13 05:38 AM
    please advise
    Windows 7 and 8 suffer the same problem. DTM uses USB drivers that are not found as standard in these versions of Windows. The error message you get is incorrect and what it really means is the drivers are incorrect for connecting your pb. Delete DTM, reinstall it and it should reinstall the correct drivers for your usb.
    02-25-13 07:45 AM
    With pb connected via usb go to device manager - you should see a bb device , under network adapters I believe, with a yellow exclamation mark . Just roll back the driver for it and you'll be able to connect.
    02-25-13 08:22 AM
    Not sure how you processed the upgrade but I upgraded from Win7 to Win8 with no problem. Prior to installing the upgrade I ran the upgrade advisor and any incompatible software was provided an upgrade advice or link to needed information. I believe the 1st time I connected my BB phone and PB I may have needed an update of the DTM. Also something I have noticed about Win8 there may be links to regular used software in the Win8 tabs that may not work whereas if you run from the Win7 desktop they work. I had a couple programs with this problem and once I did a reinstall they were ok.

please advise
    02-25-13 09:00 AM
    You can also try on playbook "storage and sharing" - usb connection - and change from automatically detect to "connect to windows"
    02-25-13 09:53 AM
    I haven't had any issues with mine. I did a clean install of windows though and fresh DM install.
    02-25-13 10:06 AM
    I haven't had any issues with mine. I did a clean install of windows though and fresh DM install.
    No problems with either Win7 or Win8. When DTM opens, if it says a new update is available, I just let it do it's thing.
    02-25-13 12:38 PM
    I done exactly what you did, but still don't work. I ask several experts from FUTURE SHOP COMPUTER DEPARTMENT and BEST BUY
    store. nobody know anything about it, I SENT A EMAIL TO Blackberry Playbook support department, all I get back from them is that YOU
    HAVE TO pay and registered for HELP. I wonder what kind a Company is this, no wonder nobody buy their cell phone, and nobody using their PLAYBOOK except few of us, still using it and drive us crazy. forget it , I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO WASTE ANYMORE TIME, AND WILL GO BUY A APPLE IPOD MINI.
    THANK YOU.
    THIS REPLAY IS FOR ;taz323 and CrackBerry Addict.
    04-22-13 12:34 AM
    you can also try on playbook "storage and sharing" - usb connection - and change from automatically detect to "connect to windows"
    how does that work? I also try but doesn't work !
    Last edited by jimmy1318; 04-22-13 at 01:49 PM.
    04-22-13 03:24 AM
    From the TREADS posted here, it looks PLAYBOOK has a lot of problems and a lot of solutions. some works some don't. I wonder why? Is PLAYBOOK designed to
    drive user crazy ? or designed to be a functionally tablet, like the APPLE ipad. I am an WINDOWS OS user, I have no problems with all my others using WINDOWS 8 except BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK.
    This THREADS is specially for " Playbook wont connect to Windows 8" . I assume all the answers here are
    for WINDOWS 8, because I HAVE NO PROBLEMS when I use WINDOWS VISTA and WINDOWS 7.
    Last edited by jimmy1318; 04-22-13 at 04:44 AM.
    04-22-13 03:33 AM
    Wifi Transfer?

The same happened with me when I upgraded from XP to 8. Blackbery Desktop Software wouldn't connect. So I converted to Wifi Transfer. I hate cables so it did me wonders

If you're wondering how to transfer files with Wifi;
    1) Open Settings on your Playbook.
    2) Go to About > Network; and locate the IPv4.
    3) Open Run on your computer (Windows Key + R)
    4) Type in "file:\\192.168.1.8" without the quotation marks. In this case, '192.168.1.8' would be replaced with your Playbooks IP adress, the one you located in IPV4
    5) Transfer files!

Hope this helps out
    FF22 likes this.
    04-22-13 01:57 PM
    OK..
    Same problems for me.
    I installed framework .net3.5 and tried before others answers ( wifi ip, but the PB was lagging, and no transfert of movies, only few Ko..)

Install of desktop software
    I used the usb BB cable
    I used "compatibility mode" XP SP3
    Error 31 in the drivers of "system" --> uninstall end erased the driver ( 2 times, cause 2 differents BB lines- only one after that)
    Unplug and plug the PB after each delete.

After that, I restarted everything and it still works.

I don't think I forgot something. Ifsomeone can be helped..

PS : can you rephrase this post ? Not a good english..
    win8 64
    06-05-13 02:48 PM
    i recently upgraded my pc from win 7 to win 8 and now am unable to connect my playbook to my pc, i keep getting this error "blackberry desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device." asking me to update to the latest software. I already have updated my pb but am still having issue.
    Ps. I also installed microsoft .net 3.5
    please advise
    go to settings,security and enable development mode(itl ask u to set a password) once enabled,it should connect to your pc and desktop software
    07-22-13 09:14 AM
    I done exactly what you did, but still don't work. I ask several experts from FUTURE SHOP COMPUTER DEPARTMENT and BEST BUY
    store. nobody know anything about it, I SENT A EMAIL TO Blackberry Playbook support department, all I get back from them is that YOU
    HAVE TO pay and registered for HELP
    . I wonder what kind a Company is this, no wonder nobody buy their cell phone, and nobody using their PLAYBOOK except few of us, still using it and drive us crazy. forget it , I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO WASTE ANYMORE TIME, AND WILL GO BUY A APPLE IPOD MINI.
    THANK YOU.
    THIS REPLAY IS FOR ;taz323 and CrackBerry Addict.
    As an off-topic, I think this actually sums up what kind of support we are going to have from BB on the Playbook from now on. And to think that we were hoping for some small updates...
    Last edited by ViBogdan; 07-22-13 at 09:54 AM. Reason: tipos
    07-22-13 09:52 AM
    Its quite possible that the "ghost in the machine" is responding to all of the negative energy. I am running the Windows 8.1 beta and i am having absolutely no problems running BDS, Companionlink, or the Playbook App manager plugin for Chrome.
    07-22-13 01:37 PM
    Security Settings ... Enable Development Mode ... (+password) worked for me! Spent hours trying to find a solution with updates, older versions of Desktop Software, driver rollbacks, etc

Thanks, alexsurpra!
    07-22-13 02:00 PM
    Security Settings ... Enable Development Mode ... (+password) worked for me! Spent hours trying to find a solution with updates, older versions of Desktop Software, driver rollbacks, etc

Thanks, alexsurpra!
    So Development Mode which should have nothing to do with the "normal" connections between the pb and Win8 seems to do the trick - very interesting and quirky.
    07-22-13 05:36 PM
    no problem my dear friend any problems buzz me
    07-23-13 06:40 PM
    SOLUTION
    go to settings under security enable development mode it will ask you to set a password if you havent and it do the trick of getting pb connected to the computer and desktop software
    07-23-13 06:45 PM
    I have tried development mode, with just connecting to BDS, and Chrome, neither is working, windows 8 acer laptop! No problems on my old Windeows 7 machine.
    I can't get the wifi to connect, tried entering the ip address etc under RUN, and I get the error that it can't be located.
    07-28-13 09:28 PM
    Like some of you, I was unable to connect my 64 K Playbook to Win 8. However, today I succeeded. What I did was to confirm that
    USB driver was not working; after plugging in, there was no indication in Win8 that the Playbook was connected. In checking with the Win 8
    Device Manager, there were no yellow cautions. I removed the existing Blackberry Device Manager, downloaded another version (still 7.1) and
    tried again. I found some other Blackberry USB cables, and began to swap them out. Bingo! All of a sudden, I heard the Win 8 bell
    indicating that the USB driver had been found, and up on the Playbook screen was the information that it was now connected, and on
    the Computer screen was confirmation that a connection was being made, although it took longer to confirm the connection. I
    immediately did a backup, checked it out, and all is well.

All the USB cables are Blackberrys but some work better than others, and this is probably due to the USB computer connectors
    more than anything else. The good news is that Device Manger does work with Win 8, but some of the USBs may not.

johnreid
    FF22 likes this.
    07-30-13 07:30 PM
    With pb connected via usb go to device manager - you should see a bb device , under network adapters I believe, with a yellow exclamation mark . Just roll back the driver for it and you'll be able to connect.
    This one worked for me. Tnx a lot, hopes it stays this way ;-)
    10-03-13 05:08 PM
    thanks for this info

10-03-13 07:02 PM
34 12