I have an HP with Windows Vista. When I first connected my Playbook, the computer found it, but the Blackberry Desktop Software won't connect. After a few days trying to connect, something happened and it connected. Most everything was good. Today, however, back to the drawing board and I hadn't changed anything. The Playbook says it is connected, but the software says no.

Some of the things I have tried in the past and today are turning off the Playbook and unplugging the USB cable then turning it back on and plugging back in. I've checked the device manager and tried clicking on the Playbook but nothing happens. Today, I really messed up and told the software to forget my Playbook, thinking I would start fresh, and now it just keeps telling me it is an unknown device. I uninstalled the BB Desktop Software today and reinstalled it but no help.

I have no problems connecting my BB Torch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    07-12-11 10:59 PM
    i had the same a few days ago...both my bold and pb werent being recognized by dm.deleted devices from windows device manager (pb is under network adaptors), disable selective suspend on usb, and finally reinstalling desktop manager, which solved the problem. blackberry device manager was finding my device, but desktop manager wasnt. the combination of all these steps fixed it.
    bozo666 likes this.
    07-13-11 12:16 AM
    Hi, My firewall was rejecting the storage in the PB. The device was detected but no files could be transferred. Switched off internet connection & firewall and transfer worked fine. I couldn't set up an allow through option as PB uses a dynamic IP.
    07-13-11 02:04 AM
    well i was also having the same problem. pb was connecting fine up until yesterday morning and then later the same day the pb would say connected but no go on dm. then i happened to notice while connecting to my work network that a second lan connection was appearing in my network places everytime i connected the pb via usb when i enabled the second lan connection pb was suddenly found and i was able to connect via drive letter and dm. not sure what happened here but its fixed and working hope it works for you too.
    walcolm likes this.
    07-13-11 02:16 AM
    i have the same problem. the PB has been connecting some days and not connecting on others. i'll try the solution by jbgoldma and see if it works for me
    07-13-11 11:32 AM
    well i was also having the same problem. pb was connecting fine up until yesterday morning and then later the same day the pb would say connected but no go on dm. then i happened to notice while connecting to my work network that a second lan connection was appearing in my network places everytime i connected the pb via usb when i enabled the second lan connection pb was suddenly found and i was able to connect via drive letter and dm. not sure what happened here but its fixed and working hope it works for you too.
    i noticed the second LAN (enabled) but it shows as 'unidentified network' in my network & sharing...could that be the reason DM is unable to connect to the PB?
    07-14-11 03:20 AM
    i tried the option of switching my PB off before connecting it to my DM and i had no problem connecting. i think that is a short term solution for anybody having this problem

i think this issue is an OS shortfall and hopefully will be corrected in future
    07-14-11 09:31 AM
    So you just turned it off, plugged it in to the USB cable, and waala... it worked? Did your Playbook automatically turn on when you plugged it in to the USB cable?
    07-14-11 10:00 AM
    I think I've fixed the problem. I turned off the wifi on my Playbook before plugging in the USB cable. Everything started working just like it does for my Torch. I don't know if it is by design that it works or if just a band-aid for the problem, but I'll take it.
    07-14-11 01:36 PM
    I think I've fixed the problem. I turned off the wifi on my Playbook before plugging in the USB cable. Everything started working just like it does for my Torch. I don't know if it is by design that it works or if just a band-aid for the problem, but I'll take it.
    Well... unfortunatly I found this post shortly after wiping my device... ... However... now it works and connects well!!

Thanks
    12-26-11 03:00 PM
    I followed Mal970 advice. Worked a treat. Cheers
    12-29-11 05:38 PM
    So you just turned it off, plugged it in to the USB cable, and waala... it worked? Did your Playbook automatically turn on when you plugged it in to the USB cable?
    yep the playbook powers up but the DM would have connected to it by the time the boot up completes
    01-05-12 03:51 AM
    Thanks.
    We have had this issue for months.
    Turn off wireless.
    So simple even RIM couldn't do it. lol
    02-15-12 07:48 PM
    what do u if your playbook isnt set up and u cNT TURN OFF WIFI i cant get passed the dam update page i connect to dm and nothing im bout to throw this dam thing
    02-16-12 08:27 AM
    My case fellow! Welcome to Playbook bugs
    02-16-12 08:48 AM
    what do u if your playbook isnt set up and u cNT TURN OFF WIFI i cant get passed the dam update page i connect to dm and nothing im bout to throw this dam thing
    Try this:
    + Uninstall DM. Restart PC.
    + Obtain and install the most recent Desktop Manager. I think it is 7.0.0.44.
    + Start DM
    + Plug PB in being powered off. Power on PB.
    02-16-12 10:15 AM
    Explain more fully where you are and what you are doing?

Has the pb ever been completely initialized? Are you trying to just connect to a computer to transfer files?
    Ali Rafiq likes this.
    02-16-12 10:50 AM
    Are you in a place where you have a strong wifi signal so you can initialize the setup?
    02-16-12 11:39 AM
    Try this:
    + Start DM
    Will this version work even though I have the Torch 9800 OS6?

If I delete DM and reinstall to ver.7 then my torch will be ignored?

THanks I'm having the same wonderful works today /not today.....and sat. I transferred file to my folder to listen to audio books at work and now after turning off wifi nada.....he...he...oh what fun....
    02-26-12 08:58 PM
    Hey everyone!,
    Just joined the BB team, coming from all apple. So far I love my PB but I can't seem to get it to connect through the Desktop software. Luckily, I was able to load some media via IP. Could windows 8 be the problem? I've tried all of the suggest solution such as wifi off and trying the PB being off also. Not too big of a deal, but if there is a way to fix, or try and fix it, I would love too. The software connect fine with my BB 8530 (going old school) so I'm at a loss of possible problems. Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help, and I look forward to getting all this BB stuff figured out!
    02-22-13 06:24 PM
    I think that some folks have found that rolling back or changing the DRIVER can help with Win8. Go into the Device Manager and look for BB or Rim named drivers or usb connections. Play around.

Oh, and welcome
    02-22-13 07:36 PM
    HI there, I also had the same problem, could not connect my playbook to pc. finally I started all over. I uninstalled all the blackberry software and plugged in my playbook, and instead of installing the internal software I clicked on the read me icon and clicked on the blackberry website link and got a new updated version of the blackberry manager (7.1.0.41) as soon as it was installed I clicked on run and all my files, videos, music and downloads opened up in a new window. I hope this helps somebody out.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-28-13 03:47 AM
    My playbook is not getting initialized it only tells blackberry playbook is connected. I reinstalled the dm but still not connecting.
    02-19-14 12:30 PM
    Try this:
    + Start DM
    I have tried it but still not working.
    02-19-14 12:33 PM
    When I have this issues I just toggle File Share on and off and that makes it work.
    If you have a password on your PB once you do this it'll ask for your password.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 12:34 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD