Hello all,

Ive looked at most of the forum posts that I could related to this issue, however nothing that was direct...

Ive had my playbook for alittle while now, and I keep it in MINT condition, also purchased the desk dock/charger for it. The dock charger is great, a must have if you are a playbook owner. However recently ive noticed that playbook isnt charging while its on the dock. Ive checked the connections and made sure they were clean, and made sure I somehow didnt unplug the dock itself. The playbook itself sees the dock, and shows at the battery indicator that its charging like it should. However no charge to the battery at all even if I leave it on overnight.

I left it plugged in via USB direct today at roughly 60% to make sure theres nothing wrong with the playbook, and the usb charged up playbook like clockwork. Mounts up to the computer and acts as it should.

I have already tried doing the "3-finger" reset, even a basic power cycle before that with no change. Is there a way I could use a DMM and check to see if the dock is giving off a charge? Or are there any other basic trouble shooters I should take before hand?
    11-29-12 05:30 PM
    Play with the pb was it sits in the dock. A slight change in angle might help with the contacts. Are all three springloaded pins reasonably exposed. Sometimes one can be lower and not make full contact.

And, yes, the pb can sometimes show the Lightning Bolt but not actually be charging. I refer to it as a False Lightning bolt. Do you have Battery Guru? It can show that CHARGING is actually occurring.
    11-29-12 05:44 PM
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply,

I just downloaded the battery guru app (pretty nice!), and it also see's the dock. However currently, it is just sitting on a .07W charge. I played with the angle of the PB as suggested, and noticed the battery guru app jump to 3.37W then back down to .03W.

Looking closer at the dock itself, I notice what you are talking about with the pins(on both the device and the dock), and one pin on the dock itself is sitting lower than the other two. So I took one of my real fine needle picks, and was able to bring the pin back to the same height as the other two.... So far its been sitting between 2.87 and 3.33W charging the battery again.

Thank you!
    11-29-12 06:09 PM
    The Dock could use a bit more quality control. I've got the Travel rapid charger - same magnetic principle and it too can be a bit touchy. One pin is just a bit lower.
    11-29-12 11:31 PM
    IMHO, the docks all suck. I had one for the 9810 which was hard to get it in. Have one for the 9900 which is easier because it has the contacts, but is hard because it's unstable. So, I'm gonna stay away from anymore LOL
    11-29-12 11:48 PM
    Sorry you were having issues OP, but glad they were resolved. Apparently there are some good docks and some with contact problems as noted in some threads. We've been fortunate as we have two at home and there are several at work, and we've yet to have a charging problem. Two we've had since last September. That being said, we clean and lube our dock and PB contacts with an electrical contact cleaner and lube, that maybe being why we've had such good service from them. Keep in mind that at work the PBs are in and out of the docks all day long. Regular use always helps a spring loaded contact to stay free. We also have several docks for our 9930s as well. No issues yet, knock on wood.
    11-30-12 01:04 AM
    Had the same issue, love the dock and it had worked great for the longest time, then just stopped charging. Went out and bought the rapid charger and it works great and it's portable. Missed. The dock though, so tried it again and it worked just have to keep an eye on it, it can be deceiving.
    11-30-12 01:22 AM