Hello.

I'm having a problem I've had in the past. When I travel I set up my e-mail account so that I can send and receive mail on my Playbook. When I come home I delete the account, as I use my desktop for e-mail and don't want my Playbook clogging up with un-read messages.

In my case my account is a Hotmail one, so I go to "accounts/e-mail,calendar&contacts/advanced set-up/Hotmail". Once on the page that comes after tapping "Hotmail", a page that says "Account Integration", I fill in "Username, E-mail Address & Password". (Here I'm very careful to use the exact information that worked the last time I travelled and used my Playbook. Because of this connection problem in the past I was sure to write down all the information that was on this "Account Integration" page.)

I fill in this information, hit "continue" and watch. A new page comes up that says "checking supported services and policy information". After this a new page comes up with my e-mail address on the top and with "sync e-mail, sync contacts & sync calendar" all checked "on" and with "messages sync timeframe" set at "7 days". I then tap "save".

Now the problem. The screen says "Saving and verifying your settings". The little green wheeel spins for a minute ot two till I get the message "Account [my e-mail address] failed testing with current settings".

What could be going wrong? I've entered the information that worked before. Just to be sure I've rebooted the Playbook, checked my settings to make sure cookies are active.
    09-19-12 02:55 PM
    I've just tried to connect to my Facebook account via this same process and no problems, for whatever that's worth. I guess that means no problem with internet connection, cookies, etc.

John
    09-19-12 03:04 PM
    It's a known problem with hotmail accounts. Search around, there's a solution that involves changing the actual email server address.
    canada john likes this.
    09-19-12 03:20 PM
    Thanks Mike. You're right

While I've been sitting here waiting for replies I began looking through all the old notes I'd kept concerning this problem. On one page I'd written down all the information as it was upon one trip's return. I went down the list and noticed something. For "Server Address " I saw "bay-m.hotmail.com", then I checked what had been coming up as I struggled to set up my account today. In that same "Server Address" box the default appearing was just "m.hotmail.com"! I thought I'd try changing it by adding the "bay-". Et voila! The thing now works!

Now, I wonder who's fault this is. Is it something in Playbook that is putting in the incorrect server address? Or is Hotmail to blame? If any Playbook people are reading these chats, and it is your omission, I hope you'll do something to correct this. It's a challenge figuring out these things, but truth be told I have many other things I should have been using this time for.

But thanks again Mike.

John
    09-19-12 03:39 PM
    Thanks Mike. You're right

If any Playbook people are reading these chats, and it is your omission, I hope you'll do something to correct this.
    John
    FWIW, this issue is fixed in beta 2.1.
    09-19-12 04:03 PM
    Can I ask you what "beta 2.1" is. ("FWIW" as well for that matter.)

John
    09-19-12 04:09 PM
    canada John

I don't know the last time you used that hotmail account but MS has been futzing with hotmail (converting to outlook or some such) and may have altered something since the last time it worked. There were a series of issues a few weeks back.

Also folks have found establishing a hotmail account MAY (emphasis) MAY create battery drain problems so keep and eye out for that.
    09-19-12 04:12 PM
    Can I ask you what "beta 2.1" is. ("FWIW" as well for that matter.)

John
    John beta 2.1 is an OS download available for anyone who wants to download it onto their PB. I use it and I like it - however there are some pros and cons so have a look at the various chat on it before deciding if you do want to upgrade.

FWIW .... my guess .... For What It's Worth.
    09-19-12 05:07 PM
    Heavens got it right, on both counts. However, I don't see much in the way of cons, other than a few sideloaded apps that used to work now don't. Countering that is that other sideloaded apps that didn't work before now do.
    09-19-12 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD