Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kill_9
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook to Windows PC video chat?

Hi,

Is it possible to do Playbook to Windows PC video chat?

What apps are out there (nobody mention the S word!).

I just bought my first Playbook yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive. I am wondeing if I will be able to video chat with my family when I go abroad. I'll have a playbook and they will have a Windows 8 PC.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Playbook to Windows PC video chat?

There are ways, I think reelportal is one way and if I remember some people use a website. Neither option is the best, but bb10 will bring better options for video chat. The only thing is that BB10 is rumored for summer for the pb.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for your reply. I need this for March, so can't wait for a new OS
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

You could try FaceFlow; "Make calls and video calls to any other FaceFlow users - on any device. (FaceFlow for Blackberry 10 will also be available!)".
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I understand FaceFlow are worth checking out. Also, think they are working on an app or something for the Playbook. Read this somewhere fairly recently but can't remember whether in these forums or elsewhere.

A quick Google would no doubt give some info

Cheers
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by GooseberryFool View Post
    I understand FaceFlow are worth checking out. Also, think they are working on an app or something for the Playbook. Read this somewhere fairly recently but can't remember whether in these forums or elsewhere.

A quick Google would no doubt give some info

Cheers
    I'll look into that app as well.

I just brought a playbook, waiting for it to arrive. I think the video chat is the only major disappointing thing for me (but I didn't buy it for video callings so its not that important). Its a business minded tablet so its quite surprising RIM didn't invest more into that amazing front camera. Can't wait for better support in bb10 though.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks, a quick Google search show that the FaceFlow website does indeed work viat the PlayBook browser, and an app is in the works to be released soon. Great!
    CrackBerry User

This works reasonably well, a little clunky to setup, but its free, so worth a look:

AV by AOL - Let's video chat!
    CrackBerry User

And, having just tested it, FaceFlow (even on the current PB OS2.1 browser) works even slicker than the AOL service...
    CrackBerry Genius

With the price of PlayBooks recently, the easiest solution is to just get another PlayBook. Last March I used the PlayBook to video chat when on a ski trip with the kids. One limitation, not related to the PlayBook is the wifi can be a bit slow when the hotel or resort is packed like we had in March.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    With the price of PlayBooks recently, the easiest solution is to just get another PlayBook. Last March I used the PlayBook to video chat when on a ski trip with the kids. One limitation, not related to the PlayBook is the wifi can be a bit slow when the hotel or resort is packed like we had in March.
    I can't believe you are suggesting Playbook users, when wanting to video chat, to buy them a Playbook. I have friends here in UK, over in Italy and Australia I would like to video chat with but I couldn't contemplate buying them all a Playbook, could I ...

Yes, good idea if just within immediate family/kids, though!
    CrackBerry User

See FaceFlow recent posting and other crackberry postings. An app is not required for the playbook. Register at FaceFlow.com.
    CrackBerry Newbie

faceflow work just perfect
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,853 Global Posts
    PIN
    333BCCA7

Quote Originally Posted by creacrea View Post

faceflow work just perfect
    That's one really long video that ends without us seeing if video chat works. imo.im works with voice to Skype, but no video. ReelPortal and AOL.AV work with clunky video. If FaceFlow video isn't any better, it's not a better solution. the video stops at the critical point.