I have had some problems accessing my PB from windows 7, too. No problems what so ever from mac OS, on the other hand. In other words the PlayBook isn't the problem.

I did as a previous poster said,

1: connected PlayBook

2: my computer->System properties ->device manager-> network adapters-> Research in motion network driver ->right click -> uninstall

3: disconnect PlayBook

4: reconnect PlayBook -> drivers will automatically be reinstalled. when they are finished installing -> disconnect PB.

5: restart windows.

5: Voila.. worked for me, at least.
    06-18-11 05:22 AM
    in windows 7 go to network, network and sharing centre, change advanced network settings (top left) and make sure network discovery is on

also when the pb is connected to wifi open any explorer window and type \\playbookname (the one which shows under network identification on the pb file sharing options)

mine doesnt always show up in network but the \\ method has worked for me if all else fails

hope this helps
    06-18-11 06:00 AM
    i had a similar problem where device manager wasnt recognizing my pb all of a sudden. this was happening on both my computers. one is 32bit the other 64. anyway, i clicked "turn off" and turned on the pb again and it started working (strange enough, clicking "restart" oj the pb didnt resolve the problem)

this might be a long shot, but it might even be firewall related. even when i connect my pb thru usb, i get a firewall dialogue popup asking if sharing should be allowed. i have ESET firewall. try disabling ur firewall before doing a format.

if that doesnt work, delete all ur "usb host controllers" (i have 8 of them in my device manager) from windows device manager and reboot the computer. this will force windows to reinstall all the usb ports again.

format ur pc shouldnt be required. debricking the pb might even fix it. u might have a corrupt file on it.
    06-18-11 06:35 AM
    Are you trying to connect via USB or wireless? If wireless, try to ping the IP address of the PB? If you cannot ping it try re-starting your router. At one point mine had failed to show up on the network, I couldn't ping it, restarted the PB, computer, and finally the router to fix the issue.
    06-18-11 07:13 AM
    i know that this issue keeps coming up around the forum, but the threads keep disappearing. Ive searched and gone back almost 10 pages but i can't find the thread so I'm starting a new one.

As of now, I have a 32gb internet browser. And i am 99.99% sure tha this issue is with my computer and not my playbook so i dont want to see any playbook sucks comments. lol. It doesnt show up anywhere on my computer and i can't connect over wifi.

I have done everything other than format my computer.. I have done all my updates on my pc, i have cleaned the registry, i have uninstalled and reinstalled desktop manager countless times, i have attempted to map a network drive but it cant connect, if i try to type the ip address in a windows explorer window it seems liek its doing something for a minute or to and then it says it failed to connect, and i have exchanged the playbook to see if by chance there was something wrong with it. Exact same issue on the second unit.

For the record, my pc is has windows 7 pro 64 bit installed, and i attempted to connect it to my girlfriends pc which has no desktop manager or device manager installed and it connected and showed up under network in less than a minute. She has windows vista installed.

does anyone have any suggestions for anything else i can try before i throw my computer against the wall?

any help is appreciated

I was very frustrated because I was a able to connect via USB and WIFI to ma desktop with Vista and I could not connect with my laptop with Windows 7.

Here is how I fixed the ISSUE after almost 1 day trying:

First I discovered that turning off the WIFI on the PB allowed the laptop to recognize the PB but it was not loading the drives so it was impossible to access the PB files

I checked the sharing settings in Windows 7, You must set the network to WORK, don't use Home or Public. Also allow file and media sharing sharing. Restart the computer.

Turn off the WIFI or unplug your network cable on the computer and connect the PB via USB. after some time you will see that there is a network connection active. In my case it was "Local area network 2".

Open network and sharing center and you will see the active "unidentified network" with no internet access click next to "connection:" to open connection status window and then click in properties.

You will see that in that connection is only installed the TCIP protocol. You need to install "Client for Microsoft Network" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network"

After that restart your computer and reconnect the PB and everything will start working!

Hope this help

Carlos
    07-09-11 08:33 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD