Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    55,638 Posts
    Global Posts
    55,793 Global Posts
    #1  

    Default

    I think any useful app would do well. We don't need any more bmi calculators.

    Oh and thank you for your interest in making our playbook better. I'm sure in no time you'll have more request then you want LOL.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
  2. sjwright's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

    Default playbook webworks development

    hi

    by profession i'm a php applications developer, working mainly on integration solutions.

    i bought a playbook just over a week ago, and love it, i am glad i chose it over the ipad. within hours of buying mine, i had the webworks for tablet os sdk downloaded, and have since read it cover to cover.

    i'm starting off with a relatively simple app, but before i started planning my app, does anyone have any tips or pointers of things to be aware of. similarly, if anyone has any suggestions on what app i should build, they are also welcome.

    thanks!
  3. JDukeOSBB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,051 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Welcome! have you registered over at the official Blackberry developer forums too? Lots of good and useful info there. I, myself, can't offer any pointers,but there is one app I have really wanted since the Playbook launched. Its really a simple app, but on my iPid touch I had an app called SpaceGeek. I lived the layout of the app, it was basically just news feeds from popular Space news sites, and my favorite feature was the built in live NASATV stream and the Image of the Day/Image Gallery. Here are some screenshots because I am horrible at descriptions...just so u know what i am trying to describe.





    Anyway, just throwing that out there.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  4. sjwright's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Hi Bud

    That looks like an ideal first app, simple enough to be achieved, but engaging enough to keep me interested!

    I used to be a bit of a space geek but let it lapse, so this would be a nice first project! Thanks for the screen grabs, appreciate it. Will let you know as soon as I start production, and if the process is simple enough, will port it to the blackberry handsets too :-)

    Thanks again
    Ste
  5. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    55,638 Posts
    Global Posts
    55,793 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    I think any useful app would do well. We don't need any more bmi calculators.

    Oh and thank you for your interest in making our playbook better. I'm sure in no time you'll have more request then you want LOL.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
  6. yllus's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    141 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Some pointers from a fellow WebWorks developer:

    - While it's tempting to use a framework like jQuery Mobile, if you value UI responsiveness you'll probably want to abstain. The performance is less than stellar.
    - Hardware acceleration of CSS3 transitions (currently a bit buggy) will help a lot, so make use of them.
    - The Web and WebWorks Development forum on blackberry.com is very useful when you've got questions.

    I build all of my apps out of personal need - I built Lemma because there wasn't a Twitter client that functioned exactly in the manner I wanted. What do you want to do with your PlayBook but can't currently?
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    I think any useful app would do well. We don't need any more bmi calculators.

    Oh and thank you for your interest in making our playbook better. I'm sure in no time you'll have more request then you want LOL.
    Back to the Future - somehow your reply to the thread appears before the initial inquiry!!! The pb is amazing. Now if only rim could somehow manage that trick with the pb - make it something at release it was not!
  8. JDukeOSBB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,051 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yllus View Post
    Some pointers from a fellow WebWorks developer:

    - While it's tempting to use a framework like jQuery Mobile, if you value UI responsiveness you'll probably want to abstain. The performance is less than stellar.
    - Hardware acceleration of CSS3 transitions (currently a bit buggy) will help a lot, so make use of them.
    - The Web and WebWorks Development forum on blackberry.com is very useful when you've got questions.

    I build all of my apps out of personal need - I built Lemma because there wasn't a Twitter client that functioned exactly in the manner I wanted. What do you want to do with your PlayBook but can't currently?
    I totally agree about utilizing hardware acceleration wherever possible.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  9. JDukeOSBB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,051 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjwright View Post
    Hi Bud

    That looks like an ideal first app, simple enough to be achieved, but engaging enough to keep me interested!

    I used to be a bit of a space geek but let it lapse, so this would be a nice first project! Thanks for the screen grabs, appreciate it. Will let you know as soon as I start production, and if the process is simple enough, will port it to the blackberry handsets too :-)

    Thanks again
    Ste
    A tablet optimized version would be stellar (no pun intended). But, if you decide to do it, I would love to beta test!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. allengeorge's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    410 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    I had no idea JQuery Mobile performed badly on the PB. Any idea why?
    Terminal Musings: http://www.allengeorge.com
  11. JDukeOSBB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,051 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allengeorge View Post
    I had no idea JQuery Mobile performed badly on the PB. Any idea why?
    It doesn't perform poorly, persay. It just doesn't get access to hardware acceleration so sometimes the transitions are not smooth and fluid. Read this too, devs : http://www.sencha.com/blog/blackberry-playbook-the-html5-developer-scorecard/

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  12. sjwright's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Hi guys

    After reading your comments, and doing a little bit of research, we're going to press on with this at the weekend.

    As we've got hardware acceleration on CSS3 animations, me and the interface designer who will also be working on this project are thinking an animated starscape in the background, with clear concise navigation upon opening.

    We're really excited about working on this, looking forward to it! Thanks again all for your input and advice, its a big help! Will keep this thread updated with progress!

    Ste
  13. Wolfgan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    409 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Take a look at Alice for a sample of hw accelerated CSS animations. Wolf
  14. yllus's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    141 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Just FYI - I'm about 75% done switching my Twitter app Lemma over to bbUI.js and the performance improvement is remarkable. It's a very new framework specifically meant for use with BlackBerry devices, though not specifically the PlayBook - but it works terrifically well.

Posting Permissions