Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook Web Browser tabs

I haven't found reference to the suggestion on the forums thus far so I'll bring it up. I'm a new Blackberry user and the Playbook will be my first real RIM product. I'm rather platform agnostic with my desktop being a custom PC running Windows 7, my laptop is a Macbook Pro, my cell phone is an HTC Incredible S running Android, and my new Tablet runs QNX.

I'm loving the device and QNX and am amazed by the general smoothness of the operating system in comparison to Android (Sense, CM7, and ICS). One gripe I've had with the device however is my inability to open separate web browser instances, or separate out tabs for navigation via swipes from the bezel. The bezel navigation is a genuine pleasure to use so it surprises me that the browser tabs cannot be multitasked the same way. I would imagine that web apps, separated into its own window, would be much more enjoyable this way.

Any idea if RIM has plans to update the browser to fill the gesture tabbed browsing void?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Go to App World on your PlayBook, search for Discover Now! it is a free download that will I think answer your questions now and in the future.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jfryton View Post
    I haven't found reference to the suggestion on the forums thus far so I'll bring it up. I'm a new Blackberry user and the Playbook will be my first real RIM product. I'm rather platform agnostic with my desktop being a custom PC running Windows 7, my laptop is a Macbook Pro, my cell phone is an HTC Incredible S running Android, and my new Tablet runs QNX.

I'm loving the device and QNX and am amazed by the general smoothness of the operating system in comparison to Android (Sense, CM7, and ICS). One gripe I've had with the device however is my inability to open separate web browser instances, or separate out tabs for navigation via swipes from the bezel. The bezel navigation is a genuine pleasure to use so it surprises me that the browser tabs cannot be multitasked the same way. I would imagine that web apps, separated into its own window, would be much more enjoyable this way.

Any idea if RIM has plans to update the browser to fill the gesture tabbed browsing void?
    Welcome! Glad you are liking the device!

Can you explain a bit more what you mean? Because there are tabs for the web browser. You swipe down from the top and hit the new tab button. Is this what you mean or something different?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by shn View Post
    Welcome! Glad you are liking the device!

Can you explain a bit more what you mean? Because there are tabs for the web browser. You swipe down from the top and hit the new tab button. Is this what you mean or something different?

I believe the OP means opening different Browser windows (not tabs) such as on the Touchpad where you can open multiple browser "cards".

So if this is the case, you can't open different browser windows on the current OS 1.X. I also doubt that this will be possible in OS 2.0.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-08-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Sometimes i will open Bridge Browser, Desktop Browser, Secure Browser or Simple Browser when i want to have two or more Browser "apps" running at the same time. Then I can swipe side to side & switch web pages.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Experience with Windows, Mac OS, IOS, Palm OS, Android, BlackBerry OS, QNX, Windows Mobile and a variety of other devices.
    * Long time reseller of MDaemon® Messaging Server, BlackBerry® Edition
    Over 25 years of technology experience.
    Background in Avionics, self-taught on computers since the days of MS-DOS 2.0.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by jhanks64 View Post
    Sometimes i will open Bridge Browser, Desktop Browser, Secure Browser or Simple Browser when i want to have two or more Browser "apps" running at the same time. Then I can swipe side to side & switch web pages.
    I don't have a Blackberry phone to bridge with, so I can't quite do that. It's a shame that there are no plans to implement independent browser windows so we could swipe between the pages. The gestures are addictive.
    CrackBerry User

no need to have a BB with bridge, jsut download a second browser program, such as simple browser
    8100>8900>9700>Nexus S>9900>iPhone 3G>Android N762>Galaxy Nexus>Q10 (soon)

Pa worked for RIM for 10+ years, so I've played with pretty much every BB since the Proton,
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by kennyliu View Post
    I believe the OP means opening different Browser windows (not tabs) such as on the Touchpad where you can open multiple browser "cards".

So if this is the case, you can't open different browser windows on the current OS 1.X. I also doubt that this will be possible in OS 2.0.
    Well, there are ways around this. What you can do is to get Simple Browser (or Simple Browser +), Comic Sans Browser, and Dolphin Browser for Android. I just did it, and I have 4 different browsers open. RAM usage might be problematic, but it's doable.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    Well, there are ways around this. What you can do is to get Simple Browser (or Simple Browser +), Comic Sans Browser, and Dolphin Browser for Android. I just did it, and I have 4 different browsers open. RAM usage might be problematic, but it's doable.
    You missed Secure Browser