My sister just visited us yesterday...and she got a new Sony tablet ...

she was tryin to rub it in my face...showin off wiz the google play ( android market )

specially skype..

and we were comparing ...my PlayBook to her Sony tablet..

and that was the result..

Sony has many apps though it's android..meanwhile PlayBook has an app lack issue

PlayBook has a better camera capturin photos and videos..but the Sony has more camera options and edit functions

PlayBook has a better music quality and a higher volume..

Sony tablet is a very complicated system..specially when u need to organize or delete apps..in PlayBook u organize easily ..delete in just one click .. voila !...it's very simple..

Sony tablet is a little buggy specially in the wireless thing ..and you have to restart it again ..like we restart the PlayBook sometimes to reset the Android Player ..

Sony has a less restart time it's about 1 min..PlayBook restart time is about 3 min..right ?

Sony is a touch mess..it's sooooooo much sensitive that u can't handle ..and u can lose all the progress u made.. specially in the keyboard ..very depressing ..

Sony can't play mkv files as i tried myself..PlayBook can

To awake sony u have to press the power button...in Playbook just swipe ur finger from left to right or vice versa ...

You can view Sony media contents on the tv through wireless (if u have a wireless tv)...in PlayBook u view the whole thing through HDMI ..

Sony tablet is a little too heavy that I felt a wrest pain ..PlayBook is not that heavy ..

Eventually ..we came to the BRIDGE ..and she was like come on ! that's not fair

and i was like

guys believe me PlayBook is much more better even we don have these many apps and the huge market...

if u wanna edit the info up tell me..that was a fast comparing ..maybe um wrong
    05-10-12 07:37 AM
    Can I have the Cliff Notes version?
    05-10-12 07:46 AM
    as i said up there it's a fast comparing ..um not a professional reviewer ...and i wrote it in a hurry
    05-10-12 08:00 AM
    I briefly thought of getting a Sony tablet because it is one of the few tablets that handle AVCHD natively. I have a Sony NEX 5N Camera that shoots high res video in this format. Thought tablet would be useful to review videos. I was appalled by cheap plastic build and sluggish performance, tablet feels like it would shatter with one drop. NEX 5N is great ,Sony tablet is not . PlayBook wins !

As an aside the Playbook and the NEX 5N are a great combination -camera and PB are small compact and discrete. Sideload Eye-FI app and you can review edit and email photos and MP4s on the spot. NEX 5N already has a built in Eye- FI upload setting . This set up has served me well.
    05-10-12 10:52 AM
    yeah the Sony tablet = Empty ...and many other tablets..but as playbook owners we don't estimate that we have a well built tablet..not just a many apps tablet..
    05-10-12 11:59 AM
    here's a story. A coworker of mine came down from the other side of the building and asked me to get her Kindle Fire on the wifi network in the building (only a few of us know the credentials). Anyhow, she bought me some cookies afterwards

Then I thought about it, what the heck was she doing with the tablet BEFORE she was able to get on wifi?? just sitting there staring at it wondering why she even brought it to work

so you're right, it comes down to Bridge, makes all the world of difference
    05-10-12 12:26 PM

she was tryin to rub it in my face...showin off wiz the google play ( android market )

specially skype..

Sony has many apps though it's android..meanwhile PlayBook has an app lack issue

PlayBook has a better camera capturin photos and videos..but the Sony has more camera options and edit functions

Sony tablet is a very complicated system..specially when u need to organize or delete apps..in PlayBook u organize easily ..delete in just one click .. voila !...it's very simple..

Sony tablet is a little buggy specially in the wireless thing ..and you have to restart it again ..like we restart the PlayBook sometimes to reset the Android Player ..

Sony has a less restart time it's about 1 min..PlayBook restart time is about 3 min..right ?

Sony is a touch mess..it's sooooooo much sensitive that u can't handle ..and u can lose all the progress u made.. specially in the keyboard ..very depressing ..

To awake sony u have to press the power button...in Playbook just swipe ur finger from left to right or vice versa ...

You can view Sony media contents on the tv through wireless (if u have a wireless tv)...in PlayBook u view the whole thing through HDMI ..

Sony tablet is a little too heavy that I felt a wrest pain ..PlayBook is not that heavy ..

and i was like

guys believe me PlayBook is much more better even we don have these many apps and the huge market...

You forgot to mention, Sony has not just android.... Does have the newest android ice cream sandwich, plus you can play, play station games... Unfortunately we don't have that amount of applications, neither skype or that many games options, from Google play store or playstation
    05-10-12 01:28 PM
    Right... like playing the same games in a PS3 is actually worthless, or the PS Vita for that matter. A real advantage they have there.
    05-10-12 01:41 PM
    Last four lines were worth the whole read.
    05-10-12 01:57 PM
    Sony - the maker of Betamax, MiniDisc, Sony Memory Stick, Rootkits and the new memory card format for the PS Vita. I will not support that crappy company in any way, shape or form. Thank God they did not make the Playbook!
    jamesjmunro likes this.
    05-10-12 02:12 PM
    Sony - the maker of Betamax, MiniDisc, Sony Memory Stick, Rootkits and the new memory card format for the PS Vita. I will not support that crappy company in any way, shape or form. Thank God they did not make the Playbook!
    Wasn't the new guy coming from Sony? Neh.......or......
    05-10-12 02:42 PM
    well the tablet was not that good..i love Sony ..but the tablet didn't satisfy me..no brigde..no HDMI ..

Last four lines were worth the whole read.
    yeah that's the best thing

Right... like playing the same games in a PS3 is actually worthless, or the PS Vita for that matter. A real advantage they have there.
    well i have xbox ..i don care about ps3 games or any games..come on there isn't an HDMI output guys !! that's what i care about..

You forgot to mention, Sony has not just android.... Does have the newest android ice cream sandwich, plus you can play, play station games... Unfortunately we don't have that amount of applications, neither skype or that many games options, from Google play store or playstation
    look..my sister offered to switch tablets...but i refused...because of many things..1st the HDMI thing ..that's why i bought the PlayBook...and the bridge.. and the very low sound volume :S
    any way ..um not an apps guy

here's a story. A coworker of mine came down from the other side of the building and asked me to get her Kindle Fire on the wifi network in the building (only a few of us know the credentials). Anyhow, she bought me some cookies afterwards

Then I thought about it, what the heck was she doing with the tablet BEFORE she was able to get on wifi?? just sitting there staring at it wondering why she even brought it to work

yes..when my friends know about this they go crazy ...that is a big deal ..that we don't appreciate
    05-11-12 01:04 PM
    I love their TV's; first real TV I bought was a gorgeous 17" Trinitron with a lovely square Danish styled wood cabinet in 1974; and Betamax....still used format by professionals...much better then VHS.
    05-11-12 02:24 PM
    One can only assume you will never own a blu-ray then. That was also a Sony creation, to rival HD DVD, the same as Betamax was made to rival VHS. Guess you don't want to have an HD movie collection at any point in the next few years (blu-ray will be the industry standard for HD movies for the at least several more years)

Don't hate the company. If they have a decent product, buy it and enjoy it. If they have a bad product, don't buy it. Simple as that. No need to declare complete opposition to an entire company because you don't like one or two of their products. That is simply childish and stupid.
    kennyliu, Vicboss7 and eternalemb like this.
    05-11-12 02:30 PM
    I checked a sony tablet and ended up finding bezel. Frankly i'd anyday prefer a samsung tab over sony.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk
    05-11-12 03:30 PM
    Playbook sales way beter than Sony tablet. (actually any android tablet if compared individully with exception of the fire thing )

Playbook has tons of apps .... they just need to be sideloaded.

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    05-12-12 03:27 PM

Granted i've never used a Fire, but i'm guessing without an internet connection she was probably stuck with reading books/watching video/or using apps that had been previously installed on it.
    05-12-12 03:58 PM

You know you can tether an internet connection from other phones to other tablets, right?
    05-12-12 05:31 PM
    I have two sony smart tv's and wish the internet video features sony has was in the playbook. There are several places to stream movies from in a sony internet connected tv. Dash , or Blue ray player. You got free Crackle, Best buy / Cinima now. Sony movie service and Amazon Plus Netflix and Hulu.

Thats SIX places to steam movies from and one is totally free. The rest of the internet video features are now strong too. Sony partnered with these people to bring content to us through the internet connected devices. RIM CAN DO THIS TOO. !!!! DO IT!
    05-12-12 07:21 PM
    I have two sony smart tv's and wish the internet video features sony has was in the playbook. There are several places to stream movies from in a sony internet connected tv. Dash , or Blue ray player. You got free Crackle, Best buy / Cinima now. Sony movie service and Amazon Plus Netflix and Hulu.

Thats SIX places to steam movies from and one is totally free. The rest of the internet video features are now strong too. Sony partnered with these people to bring content to us through the internet connected devices. RIM CAN DO THIS TOO. !!!! DO IT!
    First of all, I believe the discussion was comparing the Sony TABLET to the Playbook. I don't think anyone else mentioned smart TVs.

Secondly, I stream on my Playbook all the time, often connected via HDMI cable to my not-smart Samsung TV. The streaming I do is also via the internet and is totally free.

Sony as a company has lost a boat-load of money in the past year and has announced that they are laying off 10,000 people world-wide. I'm not entirely sure that Sony's business model is what RIM should follow.
    miroozy likes this.
    05-12-12 08:33 PM

specially skype..

and i was like

The swiping left to right or right to left to wake up the Playbook doesn't always work and can be fustrating at times. I just need to repeat the steps 2-3 times to make it work. So sometimes I am so frustrated that I jsut press the power button.

As for the MKV files, how did you get it to work? Any special app you need or any kind of video conversion?

- Charles
    05-12-12 09:02 PM
    The swiping left to right or right to left to wake up the Playbook doesn't always work and can be fustrating at times. I just need to repeat the steps 2-3 times to make it work. So sometimes I am so frustrated that I jsut press the power button.

As for the MKV files, how did you get it to work? Any special app you need or any kind of video conversion?

- Charles
    I have always swiped from top to bottom to wake the Playbook. It works every time.
    05-12-12 09:18 PM
    Swiping diagonally also works every time. I thought as long as you went bezel to bezel the Playbook woke up. I've never had a problem but I tend to swipe from corner to corner.
    05-12-12 09:33 PM
    Don't care about Netflix at all,or Hulu...with the Playbook I can stream Movies that are still in the Movies.

Who wants to watch Howard the duck or home alone when you can watch Avengers, Mib3 etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    05-12-12 10:08 PM
    Don't hate the company. If they have a decent product, buy it and enjoy it. If they have a bad product, don't buy it. Simple as that. No need to declare complete opposition to an entire company because you don't like one or two of their products. That is simply childish and stupid.
    Its actually not stupid. Peoples acceptance or rejection of an entire brand tends to form from a bad experience. This perception can change but quite often a consumer will avoid a brand entirely because of poor experiences with it.

The poster was mentioning how sony have backed some duds in their time. Bluray is one of the first to be adopted and stick around.

No need to be condescending.
    05-13-12 03:41 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD