I am new to BB - I love my BB Torch. I also love my nook. I want a tablet primarily to read barnes and noble ebooks, and search and email with the web.
    I am torn between the nookcolor and the playbook. I know the nookcolor will be a fantastic ereader. But I am tempted by the playbook's ability to tether to my torch for web browsing when I'm traveling (we RV camp a lot). If I know the playbook will have the Barnes and Noble app (as does my torch-the app works fine, but the screen is too small for serious reading) then I will probably go with the playbook. How will I find this out when the playbook is released? Thanks for your time!
    02-07-11 09:03 PM
    It is very likely that the Playbook will have a nook-app. A kindle app has already confirmed, and I find it unlikely that B&N would decide not to compete with them on the playbook. Also, it has been reported that the playbook will run Android apps. If so, the Nook app for Android should work on the playbook.
    MaryClare1 likes this.
    02-07-11 09:23 PM
    If you have a nook, then get a playbook. Nook Color vs Playbook is literally Apples vs Oranges. The Playbook is a dual core, 1 gig ram potential laptop replacement (potential, not saying laptop replacement for all users) vs the Nook Color which does less. My wife has generation 2 kindle and ipad. Both do well and ipad does it stuff well and kindle with e ink does it's thing. Sometimes you can't really "do it all" in one device. Keep your nook, and get the playbook. Use the nook to read and playbook to do email and web surfing.
    MaryClare1 likes this.
    02-07-11 09:24 PM
    I am new to BB - I love my BB Torch. I also love my nook. I want a tablet primarily to read barnes and noble ebooks, and search and email with the web.
    I am torn between the nookcolor and the playbook. I know the nookcolor will be a fantastic ereader. But I am tempted by the playbook's ability to tether to my torch for web browsing when I'm traveling (we RV camp a lot). If I know the playbook will have the Barnes and Noble app (as does my torch-the app works fine, but the screen is too small for serious reading) then I will probably go with the playbook. How will I find this out when the playbook is released? Thanks for your time!
    IMO, if you already own a Torch then getting a PB is a no brainier because it integrates seamlessly with the BB ecosystem and at the same-time give you media, email/communication, e-reader functionality and gaming right out of the box.
    02-07-11 09:26 PM
    nook is half the price as the PB will be but they are completely different devices. If all you want is email, web browsing and ereader then the nook is probably a better suited device.

i was actually going to grab a nook, root and throw an android rom on it and BAM i haz a really cheap android tablet
    MaryClare1 likes this.
    02-07-11 09:36 PM
    I want a tablet primarily to read barnes and noble ebooks, and search and email with the web.
    If that is all than the Nook is the one for you, although I can't help but suggest you wait for the PlayBook to come out first. It might be priced more than the Nook and is intended for a lot more than just ebook reading, emailing, and web searching. But I'm sure the PlayBook can inspire anyone to step into other realms of what can be done with a tablet computer.
    MaryClare1 likes this.
    02-07-11 10:52 PM
    To be fair, I've never heard of the Nook. However, you say primarily got read barnes and noble ebooks, but there leaves the potential that you may do other stuff, such as games (as someone said, apparently PB can run Android apps, if that is true, BRING ON THE GAMES!). And the seamless BlackBerry Torch - BlackBerry Playbook integration makes it a no brainer. If you have the money for it, buy the Playbook. That's just my thoughts, my actual advice is below.

Go into the stores and test both devices extensively and get a feel for which one will work best for you.
    MaryClare1 likes this.
    02-08-11 02:29 AM
    I've recently done a bit of reading on what they've done with the nooks...particularly the NookColor. Since you already have email/txt/call with
    your torch and most email you are covered there. The Nook would provide a good email experience and you have the Android Market available, not 'maybe or when on PB'. NC won't have the 'dazzling spec's a PB has but it will be as powerful as a Ipad.

While it takes some tech knowledge (maybe you know someone) you can
    now put Honeycomb OS on the NookColor.. which is great since it's what most Android tablets will be released with this year (PB exception with qnx).
    To be Honest at $250 (here) for a NC vs minimum $500 for PB Like the other guy said I may get one to modify just to leave around the house for whoever pops by to use.. I'm personally looking at PB long term, the nook doesn't have a camera (but your phone does)..
    MaryClare1 likes this.
    02-08-11 06:03 AM
    To be fair, I've never heard of the Nook. However, you say primarily got read barnes and noble ebooks, but there leaves the potential that you may do other stuff, such as games (as someone said, apparently PB can run Android apps, if that is true, BRING ON THE GAMES!). And the seamless BlackBerry Torch - BlackBerry Playbook integration makes it a no brainer. If you have the money for it, buy the Playbook. That's just my thoughts, my actual advice is below.

Go into the stores and test both devices extensively and get a feel for which one will work best for you.
    Thanks to all the enlightening and informative replies. Probably Paladinleeds has the ultimate advice "Go into the stores and test both devices extensively and get a feel for which one will work best for you". If the playbook will have adjustable brightness for reading, and B&N app, then I'll probably splurge becasue of the PB's 3G tethering. We travel a lot and camp in areas that do not have WiFi (nook Color only connects with WiFi). I have a e-ink nook 3G and I love it, but it only connects for web browsing with WiFi. And I must admit, I am tempted to get the playbook and open up a whole new world. As a newbie who is becoming addicted to my BB Torch, I find I am a bit impulsive, therefore I want to make an informed decision. Thanks for you patience and sharing your expertise. MaryClare
    02-08-11 10:55 AM
    I was actually going to grab a nook, root and throw an android rom on it and BAM i haz a really cheap android tablet [/QUOTE]

Let us know how that works out!
    02-08-11 10:56 AM
    To piggy back on what everyone else has said It really comes down to what will fit you best. But to be honest The playbook's spec alone wins (over the nook even rooted) but there will be a (major) price difference. A quick stop by a store (when the PB is released) to have a go to see how it feels and if its worth the money that you will have to put up for will be the best thing. One more thing I don't know what kind of memory the nook has but a 32g PB would hold all of the books you could ever dream of, just a thought.
    02-08-11 01:07 PM
    has anyone seen a great ebook reader (including pdf book reading) on any of pb demo ?
    02-14-11 04:22 AM
    The Nook is a great device to read B & N books. My son and his wife have one each. The big advantage for them over a Kindle (which I have) is that the NC public library is renting books in Nook format one month at a time.

The big difference between a book reader and a tablet is the battery life. I get over a week between charges on my Kindle. A tablet is basically a PC without a keyboard and there is much more compter power in the case. This and the color screen will use battery at a faster rate than a dedicated reader - fo course the tablet will do a lot more too. I would hatre it if the battery went flat two pages from the end of the book

The screen on the reader is very easy to read since it uses e-ink technology with its wide viewing angle. On a tablet you will get pretty much what you see on a laptop PC.

I think that both devices have their places but I think that each has to be considered on its own merits before buying.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-14-11 04:32 AM
    But the problem is you cannot read on e-ink devices in low light or in the dark. The tablets are great for that. And since Playbook is quite light, there won't be any trouble to holding in one hand.
    02-14-11 06:57 AM
    But the problem is you cannot read on e-ink devices in low light or in the dark. The tablets are great for that. And since Playbook is quite light, there won't be any trouble to holding in one hand.
    I have a llitle single LED light on a bendy stalk that clips to the Kindle for that. It cost me $5 and it works great. It also does not scatter light around the bedroom (when Mrs. Pete6 is sleeping) rather it points the light at the screen. A perfect solution whereby I have to change the batteries every 4 month sor so.
    02-14-11 07:50 AM
    On a similar note, many tablets (can't say all, as I haven't used all of them) are horrible in bright light conditions, like outdoors/on the beach whereas e-ink is perfectly readable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 07:51 AM
    On a similar note, many tablets (can't say all, as I haven't used all of them) are horrible in bright light conditions, like outdoors/on the beach whereas e-ink is perfectly readable.

Ha! That was the old LED vs. LCD $2 digital watch debate from the 1970s as I remember.

My main gripe with the Kindle is that it ain;t water resistance. Using in the tub or in the boat is fraught with danger.
    02-14-11 08:02 AM
    Ha! That was the old LED vs. LCD $2 digital watch debate from the 1970s as I remember.

My main gripe with the Kindle is that it ain;t water resistance. Using in the tub or in the boat is fraught with danger.
    Wouldn't that be a problem with all tablets and e-readers? Not just the kindle?

Ziplock bag. Problem solved. I read in the tub quite frequently.

As for the outdoors, I used my sister's Ipad a little on the beach last summer and could hardly read the screen. She used my kindle and liked it so much, she bought her own.

02-14-11 08:32 AM
    Wouldn't that be a problem with all tablets and e-readers? Not just the kindle?

Ziplock bag. Problem solved. I read in the tub quite frequently.

As for the outdoors, I used my sister's Ipad a little on the beach last summer and could hardly read the screen. She used my kindle and liked it so much, she bought her own.

Yeah, I got a ziplok bag too. It would have just been nice if the device itself was splash/water resistant.

Maybe I am showing my age here. Gripe, gripe, gripe...
    02-14-11 08:50 AM
    I own a Nook (original, not color) and a Torch. I love my Nook and won't be putting it down for any color device. The beauty of an e-reader to me is how easy the e-ink is on the eyes and the battery life. Compare battery life of the Nook color to the Nook. I think its something like 8 hrs. vs. 10 days. Another advantage of the Nook is readability in direct sunlight. You simply can't do that with a color screen.

I will be looking to buy a PB, but I'm convinced we are a long way from having a true all-in-one device. Until that happens, I'll have my Nook, my Torch, a laptop, a PB, and many other specialized devices that perform better as stand alones.
    02-14-11 12:44 PM
    Wouldn't it be possible to program the e-reader app to show up in either color or B/W? I'm no dev and don't own any e-reader so I really have no idea what I'm talking about here.... Just seems really simple to me.
    02-14-11 01:54 PM
    that is not the same as e-ink though. This technology is not the same as a tablet like the color or other tablets. most ereaders also arent powerful like tabs. To me they are 2 entirely different objectives and functions
    02-14-11 04:39 PM
    that is not the same as e-ink though. This technology is not the same as a tablet like the color or other tablets. most ereaders also arent powerful like tabs. To me they are 2 entirely different objectives and functions
    I agree and I said that too. A book reader is just that and it is a great substitute for a paper based book. I find mine a little hard to use with reference books where I need to skip around the pages a lot but, hey it's still a great device.

The tablet is a much more versatile device and is more expensive and more powerful. It also does a LOT more.
    02-14-11 04:44 PM
    They really are Apple to Oranges. Cant really compare the two. But if you root the Nook Color, you have one cheap costing Android tablet. Its a steal
    howarmat likes this.
    02-14-11 04:46 PM
    They really are Apple to Oranges. Cant really compare the two. But if you root the Nook Color, you have one cheap costing Android tablet. Its a steal
    hehe i have considered this a few times already
    02-14-11 04:59 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD