I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on this comparison. The newest Chromebook looks pretty sharp. 16 GB Onboard storage, free 100 GB of cloud storage, dual band wifi, BT 3.0 and a battery life of 6.5 hours. Everything you'd need for the basic functions of a laptop...price? 249.99.

Your thoughts on how it compares to the PB?
    10-20-12 09:31 AM
    Comparing tablets to laptops now, are we?

I don't really think that is a practical way to put it, since people shopping for tablets usually have different needs than people shopping for a full fledged notebook.
    10-20-12 09:58 AM
    agreed.. 2 different sectors. If the keyboard was removable then maybe it would be better comparison. Its a good price though i will admit especially since the screen and keyboard is actually not bad at 11.6 size
    esk369 likes this.
    10-20-12 10:03 AM
    I don't think you could call a Chromebook a laptop. Its really a tablet with a permanent keyboard attached, or a crossbred between a netbook and a tablet. I cant see me wanting one. I can use cloud storage with all my devices, and having to be on wifi all the time to use it would be a real probem as far as my purposes would go. I have read some reviews and none mention if it runs any apps at all. I would think if you wanted a small machine a netbook would be a better investment.
    esk369 and jamesharmeling like this.
    10-20-12 10:05 AM
    At current stage, Chromebook is one crappy laptop, much worse than my old Asus EeePC 900ha and my playbook. Without always-on internet connection it's simply useless(not including some offline apps). But, given that it's googles' response to ms surface and new ipad that's coming, and if google decides to enable android apps to run on chrome os (that's why they moved to arm cpu) it could become excellent choice. Plus, because it's cheap, people will hack it in all possible ways - like ubuntu, windows 8 on arm etc.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-20-12 10:16 AM
    I don't think you could call a Chromebook a laptop. Its really a tablet with a permanent keyboard attached, or a crossbred between a netbook and a tablet. I cant see me wanting one. I can use cloud storage with all my devices, and having to be on wifi all the time to use it would be a real probem as far as my purposes would go. I have read some reviews and none mention if it runs any apps at all. I would think if you wanted a small machine a netbook would be a better investment.
    I agree I can't see myself wanting/needing one yes I would go the netbook route before the c/book with my transformer I already have a netbook type device just running android os as opposed to Windows.
    10-20-12 10:19 AM
    16 Gb was already pathetic for an iPod three years ago. Why do you think the chrome thing comes with a cloud storage?

Add some dozen $ and get you a real-life 64-Gb Playbook.
    But beware, once you get used to real multitasking, the risk is you'll never get back to Android...
    Tha.Housewife likes this.
    10-20-12 11:11 AM
    16 Gb was already pathetic for an iPod three years ago. Why do you think the chrome thing comes with a cloud storage?

Add some dozen $ and get you a real-life 64-Gb Playbook.
    But beware, once you get used to real multitasking, the risk is you'll never get back to Android...
    Ooh, that's gonna touch a nerve ...

Anyway, it's Chrome, the new 'OS' that isn't exactly catching on like wildfire. 'Nuff said.
    10-20-12 11:29 AM
    Comparing tablets to laptops now, are we?

I don't really think that is a practical way to put it, since people shopping for tablets usually have different needs than people shopping for a full fledged notebook.
    tablets are eventually going to replace laptops, in some cases tbey already have.
    10-20-12 11:33 AM
    tablets are eventually going to replace laptops, in some cases tbey already have.
    You sure ?
    10-20-12 11:37 AM
    I agree 16giggitties is not enough gets chewed up pretty fast 32 imo is the minimum especially without a card slot or usb otg in retrospect I should have gone 64g on my pb which is why I keep looking to pull the trigger on a new 64g pb to add to the collection.
    10-20-12 11:38 AM
    You sure ?
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that prediction
    10-20-12 11:41 AM
    Replacing laptops? Sounds like evolution to me.

Replacing computers as a whole? Na, even the USS Enterprise-E ran on good, old-fashion computers. The desktop isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.
    10-20-12 12:00 PM
    Replacing laptops? Sounds like evolution to me.

Replacing computers as a whole? Na, even the USS Enterprise-E ran on good, old-fashion computers. The desktop isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.
    Agreed. More functionality may migrate toward tablets, but they are still primarily consumption devices, as are phones, no matter how many cpu cores they stuff in 'em. There will always be tasks for which anything without a keyboard, mouse and huge-a$$ screen just won't be well suited.
    howarmat and diegonei like this.
    10-20-12 12:16 PM
    Go ahead sell your soul to Google, Inc. No matter what their hardware or OS is they are nothing but ad space sales tools for Google, Inc. Every Google email user and every Android device user are nothing but unpaid sales agents for Google, Inc.

No amount of technical advancement by Google for an Android toy in your hands will ever pay you for the free sales work you do for Google, Inc.

So enjoy your endentured servanthood that you paid to participate in.
    10-20-12 03:21 PM
    Playbook, released April 2011. Chromebook, released October 2012. Comparison invalid. Oh and it's a laptop.
    10-20-12 05:26 PM
    You need to get a 64gb PlayBook Bro once you start using it that 16 or 32 gets eaten up pretty quick.
    10-20-12 06:25 PM
    I agree 16giggitties is not enough gets chewed up pretty fast 32 imo is the minimum especially without a card slot or usb otg in retrospect I should have gone 64g on my pb which is why I keep looking to pull the trigger on a new 64g pb to add to the collection.
    You need 64gb PlayBook it is the only way to go once you start doing things with PB the space gets eaten up.
    10-20-12 06:26 PM
    Okay forget that your asking to compare apples to oranges. Your asking me to compare something I've used frequently to something I have never used at all. I'm stumped
    smartie88 likes this.
    10-20-12 07:02 PM
    Your thoughts on how it compares to the PB?
    It doesn't.

Go on to youtube.com and do a search " Chromebook reviews".
    10-20-12 07:14 PM
    good luck when you make your next budget for 3 years for a 5 mil company in Excel on a tablet
    you need a PC or Laptop for that

The PC desktop is not dead in accounting
    the laptop as a Desktop replacement is great while traveling, but try to work 8 hours on it, your eyes will pop out
    most Laptop owners have an external Monitors and external keyboard / mouse, I have that set up for my home office

the dead of the PC desktop is just a hype
    an Ipad is great for social use, but try to do much more than emailing for biz use,
    forget it
    10-21-12 08:38 PM
    I think it's a great question. I found this thread because I'm debating buying a Chromebook or buying the playbook keyboard to go with my playbook. Both are just web browsers after. . . What I hate about tablets is the touchscreen and the lack of precision I have navigating web sites. The keyboard for playbook activates a mouse curser!
    Still, I find some web sites are just a problem for the playbook.
    05-01-13 11:37 AM