I have to admit, after not seeing the ipad for awhile, I forgot that it actually is a pretty nice-sized tablet in person especially for around the house use. Its just that the specs are pretty dull. So I guess it comes down to specs vs. size for me. While the ipad has that nice screen real estate, the playbook has the better specs imo. Guess ill just have to wait and see how the pb looks and works in person before I buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 11:35 AM
    Just watch the iPad 2 video on apple's site....amazing product! $500.00, amazing price too. I can't believe tethering the PB thru my Torch to do internet will impress me in the least, will be slow as ****! I think I was waiting for a miracle with the PB. Mac wins IMHO.
    You don't have to tether to your phone to "do internet." Use WiFi.
    If you were planning on ditching your phone after you got a tablet I could see why you would be unimpressed, however I don't see much people getting rid of their phones after they get a tablet.
    03-07-11 11:48 AM
    Apple has a good product but it's not for everyone. I can honestly say if Apple had come out with a 7 inch iPad2 I would probably get it.

For me, the size is a huge factor behind wanting the PlayBook, followed by the power QNX brings to the PB.
    Apple can offer 7" iPad anytime they want. In fact, there was a rumour of them considering it. But they probably decided to see how others (such as RIM) will play it out without bleeding a drop of blood themselves. If it becomes popular, I am sure they will offer it.

OTOH, 7' size does not make much sense as I really cannot see why you want to carry it around in pocket etc, particularly with a smartphone to go with it. If you go out of town trip, you carry it in a bag anyway.
    Pocketability was not the initial attraction. It's a "tablet" not a pocket computer. iPad is "office/home carry" thing with good real estate screen with thin & light portability (instant start etc among others).

That's what I think anyway :-).
    03-07-11 08:59 PM
    Apple will dominate in mindshare too
    100% accurate.

One of the PCWorld magazine's journalists was recently interviewed on a Canadian business show about the iPad2 and he had a hard time remembering the name of the HP tablet. I could understand me not knowing it, but a guy in the biz? Whoa.
    03-07-11 09:17 PM
    ipad NANO! I can see it now.
    03-07-11 09:19 PM
    ipad NANO! I can see it now.
    AKA iPod Touch lol
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-07-11 09:40 PM
    Oh gosh, Steven Colbert on the Colbert Report made fun if the iPad 2 it was hilarious. It should appear here: March 03, 2011 - Mark W. Moffett - The Colbert Report - Full Episode Video | Comedy Central soon, as the episode is still in progress. (go to episode March 07, 2011) I find it funnier that Conan's video about the iPad 2.
    03-07-11 10:36 PM
    what's the average battery life of BB playbook? anyone?
    03-07-11 11:38 PM
    what's the average battery life of BB playbook? anyone?
    RIM hasn't officially confirmed anything on that, however they continue to remind us that "we're BlackBerry, we're known for good battery life". They're aiming for a 8 hour battery life I'd assume, "unplug in the morning and plug in at night" kind of deal.
    MyMeth likes this.
    03-07-11 11:41 PM
    RIM hasn't officially confirmed anything on that, however they continue to remind us that "we're BlackBerry, we're known for good battery life". They're aiming for a 8 hour battery life I'd assume, "unplug in the morning and plug in at night" kind of deal.
    thanks for the reply. can't wait to own one. i'm hoping RIM announces the the release date sooon...
    03-07-11 11:44 PM
    thanks for the reply. can't wait to own one. i'm hoping RIM announces the the release date sooon...
    Yep, it's what the forums are for.

On the release date, you and a vast majority of the other 2,902,715 members feel the same way.
    03-07-11 11:46 PM
    blackberry is known for good battery life?lol
    03-07-11 11:51 PM
    blackberry is known for good battery life?lol
    Hey, just quoting Ryan Bidan. I know my Storm2 does acceptable with battery life (100%->4% in 8 hours with normal use) however, my Dad's Tour 9630 does about 2 days worth (it's a corporate phone, so he uses it often).
    03-07-11 11:57 PM
    You don't have to tether to your phone to "do internet." Use WiFi.
    If you were planning on ditching your phone after you got a tablet I could see why you would be unimpressed, however I don't see much people getting rid of their phones after they get a tablet.
    Yes, in a car etc. You have to go thru your smartphone, which will be pokey as heck!!!just wait.

03-08-11 12:15 AM
    So which do you think is going to better? iPad2 or the playbook?

I was quite unimpressed by the iPad 2 demo the other day, I was expecting a lot more. It is hardly different from the original iPad, other than being faster and having cameras.

I was hoping for holograms and 3D cameras and a coffee machine!

I think Playbook now has a bigger edge compare to ipad 2. Playbook got Flash player compare to ipad 2, camera on Playbook also has a 5 MP compare to ipad 2. Im now living in HK, and if Playbook will be the first to release here, I'll get one instead of ipad 2.
    03-23-11 08:06 PM
    Well I'll give my input based on future needs...

Firstly ....the Ipad2 isn't designed to have full computing power and never will..the OS limits the development of core functions(of "real computing") such as an optomized browser that is compromised...and realies heavily on app support to bring a rich user experience...due to the nature of the OS it has..ios.....it will never excel as a trualy efficient platform as much time has to be spent searching for apps! That is how I consider platform efficiency as a lot of time must be spent searching for apps, where the native core functioning could/should already support it!

Secondly...Apple will never really engineer a full computing platform in any current or future ipad, as it risks cannibalizing it's laptop market!!!this is something consumers should really consider while investing in a platform....why are their compromises? And will it have long term compromises? That answer for me is yes! To everyone their own opinion

Now on to the PB...I consider it a great investment long term, as RIM has that as their computing platform...and through that it can exploit uncompromised engineering characteristics into the platform as it does not have to worry about cannibalizing their laptop market...since they have none...much more time will be spent by RIM as opposed to Apple enginerring "uncompromized computing capabilities", due to above reasons.

To me the PB has a future of offering efficient and far further reaching capabilities of computing reach....with that said...I would rather spend time utilizing an optomized computing platform that has the least amount of native compromises...in that area alone...the PB trumps the ipad...less time exploring apps...because let's face it...how many hours are trualy lost in a year seeking and exploring apps? Given the PB will support programs as well...it just means more time getting stuff done...so IMHO...the PB it is...argue what I have stated...however it is what it is...and the above just is!

As far as I see it..I will invest in the PB as it has more potential to offer full and true computing reach and capabilities as the future platform has a far greater depth

So to sum it all up...I see the evolution of the PB's platform being much less compromised then the ipad. Are you willing to have compromises? That's a great avenue to guage the now and future usage.

I hope my thoughts on PB vs ipad were beneficial to someone in the decision making process!!peace friends.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-23-11 at 09:34 PM.
    03-23-11 09:12 PM
    1. I don't care about Flash. Nice that PB supports it, but not a factor in the decision. I'm frequently tempted to disable it on my desktop.
    2. I don't like iOS, either on their phone or their tablet. Wife has both (and loves both) so I get to spend time with them, it just doesn't do anything for me.
    3. Besides the OS, I find the size of the iPad generally awkward to use.
    4. The few Android phones I played with I didn't like. I can't imagine the OS would translate any better in tablet form for me.
    5. PB tethered to a 3G phone wouldn't be noticeably slower than a 3G-capable PB or any other 3G tablet.
    6. I had a cup of decaf late this morning so I won't not be awake all night.

03-23-11 09:40 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD