Since it doesn't have a dedicated cellular radio you won't have to pay an additional monthly fee.
    You seriously think that providers are going to let you tether this device to your Blackberry for service and not charge a tethering fee? Guarantee they will make Blackberry make it so they can turn this feature on off at the phone so you will have to pay them to use it.
    10-15-10 07:51 AM
    You seriously think that providers are going to let you tether this device to your Blackberry for service and not charge a tethering fee? Guarantee they will make Blackberry make it so they can turn this feature on off at the phone so you will have to pay them to use it.
    I think it will be carrier dependent. In most of the world tethering is included. In the US the popularity of unlimited data plans means that tethering isn't included, but I expect that will change with tiered data plans. With an unlimited data plan a carrier wants you to minimize data usage so they reduce costs and therefore maximize profits on fixed revenue. With tiered data plans carriers want you to use as much data as possible, because they get to bill you for it. Suddenly tethering becomes an easy way to sell expensive data plans to people with highly data efficient devices (BlackBerrys).

Here in Canada we do overpay for wireless, but when you get your phone there is nothing locked out, and data is data you can use however you want. Even the one carrier with unlimited data (Wind) includes tethering. The US seems to be moving in a similar direction (though at far more reasonable prices).
    10-15-10 03:56 PM
    For those that wonder why people need/want a iPad or Playbook vs a laptop or notebook. As a salesman, I am in front of customers all day long. Now try turning on a laptop and have that customer wait 2 or 3 minutes while your laptop boots up, lost sale or lost interest by the customer. Customers will not wait while you fool with equipment when making a sales presentation. With a Playbook or iPad it is instant on and go right to the app that you need. This may sound like a small thing but when you only have a couple of minutes in front of a potential customer or sale, every second counts. IMHO
    Quoted for truth!!!

I too am a sales guy and will love this thing for in front of customer time, presentations, skype chats/conferences with clients, when away from the office/home office, etc... can't wait!
    10-15-10 04:17 PM
    iPad2 chuckle.
    So, I was showing my playbook to a friend and he told me he already got an iPad2 and liked it but he went through **** linking it up.
    He has an older mac and so when he finally got his ipad2 he powered it up and it said "please hook it up to iTunes".
    He did and iTunes told him "please update your iTunes to a newer version"
    He did and it told him he had to get the new OS (that is where money started coming out of his pocket)
    He purchased the new software and then it told him he needed more RAM. Ha, ha, ha... so, he did. (shell out more cash)
    O.K. so finally apple got this poor guy to upgrade software OS, RAM, and all this took days so the finally got his iPad2 up and running.
    From my perspective, this is why consumers need to be careful not to depend on one ecosystem alone. Apple got this guy to shell out a bunch of cash to purchase stuff and the poor guy was stuck.
    All this to get a tablet that admittedly is nice but does not have flash, is has a 10% slower processor, less RAM and has a single speaker vs the playbooks dual stereo speakers.
    If you are thinking about getting one or the other, try them both side by side and check the specs on it. Don't let someone tell you one is better, you decide. But know that if you get the iPad2 you will be in a very closed ecosystem and check the prices for apple stuff vs. others. That is also a factor.
    Anyway, both tablets are nice but I got a chuckle from this because I've always known I don't want another Microsoft type monopoly.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    07-01-11 11:38 PM
    iPad2 chuckle.
    So, I was showing my playbook to a friend and he told me he already got an iPad2 and liked it but he went through **** linking it up.
    He has an older mac and so when he finally got his ipad2 he powered it up and it said "please hook it up to iTunes".
    He did and iTunes told him "please update your iTunes to a newer version"
    He did and it told him he had to get the new OS (that is where money started coming out of his pocket)
    He purchased the new software and then it told him he needed more RAM. Ha, ha, ha... so, he did. (shell out more cash)
    O.K. so finally apple got this poor guy to upgrade software OS, RAM, and all this took days so the finally got his iPad2 up and running.
    From my perspective, this is why consumers need to be careful not to depend on one ecosystem alone. Apple got this guy to shell out a bunch of cash to purchase stuff and the poor guy was stuck.
    All this to get a tablet that admittedly is nice but does not have flash, is has a 10% slower processor, less RAM and has a single speaker vs the playbooks dual stereo speakers.
    If you are thinking about getting one or the other, try them both side by side and check the specs on it. Don't let someone tell you one is better, you decide. But know that if you get the iPad2 you will be in a very closed ecosystem and check the prices for apple stuff vs. others. That is also a factor.
    Anyway, both tablets are nice but I got a chuckle from this because I've always known I don't want another Microsoft type monopoly.
    You must be on drugs...
    OS updates are for free.
    and in any Apple store you can activate your iPad 2 - or at a friends PC/Mac.
    And with iOS 5 there is no need for a PC/Mac anymore.
    10% slower processor? yeah... but 4 times faster GPU... and Ghz don't make speed. Apple produces the processor and therefore the OS is perfectly made to fit the capabilities and vice versa. Check on benchmarks between the Galaxy Tab and iPad 2 - iPad 2 is faster, while having longer battery life.
    and... why am I actually responding to this nonsense?...
    07-01-11 11:51 PM
    This thread had died a nice quiet death. Let's leave it there.
    optimo and takeo like this.
    07-01-11 11:59 PM
81 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD