My dad's birthday is coming up and for his gift I am thinking of getting him either a Bold 9900 or a Playbook. He is currently using a Bold 9000.

Basically what he uses his current phone is for web browsing, bbm, some email and obviously phone calls.

What do you guys think will be the better device for him? Portability is something pretty important for him I would imagine...I don't really see him lugging around the Playbook although I do think he would enjoy the browsing experience more.

Any advice would be appreciated. Like what would you guys do?

Also didn't know where to post this...it was either the PB forum or the Bold 9900 forum. Decided on this one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-11 04:19 AM
    Well, I had the bold 9000 and upgraded it to 9900, I must say that it is better than 9000, but I'm not a very big user of phones capabilities. The touch screen is somehow an improvement, as you can mix touchpad and direct action.

Playbook worked fine with my 9000, and I've been *muuuuuch* more impressed by it than the upgrade from 9000 to 9900. Moreover, I think you may find cheap first hand used Playbooks that you can complete with a set of accessories (leather case, dock) that will make it wonderfull for the price of a new piece (and you make a whiner happy).

Used or not, my reco is clearly : go for the tablet !
    si_chindo likes this.
    10-28-11 04:26 AM
    How is the PB bridged to the 9000?

10-28-11 04:55 AM
    9900, it is by far the better device!
    10-28-11 05:11 AM
    I have both and they complement each other well. Don't make me choose!

All kidding aside, if he's a heavy email, text, and bbm guy then go for the 9900. However if he wants entertainment and a great browsing experience then go for the Playbook. Just don't let him read the forums and he will love the PB!
    simsim likes this.
    10-28-11 06:11 AM
    Get him both, they are amazing compliments to each other.
    10-28-11 06:23 AM
    1, 9000 + pb
    2, 9900
    3, 9900+ pb
    10-28-11 06:57 AM
    Second hand/used items as a gift? To dad?

How cheap can one get?

10-28-11 07:53 AM
    Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Obviously if I could afford both, I would get him the 9900 and PB at the same time. But that's not realistic at this point.

Can anyone tell me of their experience of using Bridge on the PB with the Bold 9000?

10-28-11 07:55 AM
    Get him the PB this year and a QNX BB next year.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-28-11 09:03 AM
    I would go with this too. He already has a phone, so get the playbook.

I have an old curve 8900 and since getting the playbook, I really don't feel I even need a new phone, since I use my playbook for everything now accept phone calls and texting. I don't even like playing games on my phone anymore since getting the playbook.
    10-28-11 09:19 AM
    Get him the PB without hesitation ....just make sure however that you get him the 32gb unit or better. He will fall in love with the PB ....I'm assuming that your father is somewhat older and will truly appreciate reading and responding to email / bbm with a much larger font on the PB. Additionally, he will continuously use the PB for web surfing, news gathering, etc .... Last but not least ...streaming movies / shows via an HDMI cable ($8 for 15ft cable at monoprice.com) directly to his flatscreen TV ...will just completely blow him away. Just be careful ....you might have to get one for your Mom also - LOL

Bridging with the 9000 is very good.
    10-28-11 11:25 AM
    How cheap can one get?
    You have no heart ... leaving these adorable PBs laying in a home where they're not loved ... ;-)
    What I meant is that if you compare PB's price to 9900 with plan, there's quite a gap.
    While it was not clearly expressed, this could be a criteria of choice.
    But if one day, my kids offer me a *used* Aston ... I won't cry

BTW
    +1
    10-28-11 11:37 AM
    How is the PB bridged to the 9000?
    Honestly, I haven't found a huge difference so far. They work well together.
    I noticed that the 9900 had a better overall reception, grabbing 3G where the 9000 was Edge, but not that obvious. So the 9900 might be a little faster when bridged ...
    Jifffer likes this.
    10-28-11 11:41 AM

How cheap can one get?

I'm reminded of the episode of Seinfeld where his Dad is more proud of *hot*
    gifts than store bought ones. Classic!
    10-28-11 11:48 AM
    if he has already gotten accustomed to using the 9000 for browsing, then i guess the 9900 would be the better choice, the 9900 browser is just as fast as any other phone's browser today. i think the browsing experience will be night and day for him.

if he wants something with a bigger screen but still ultra portable, then the PB is your best bet....

...either way, both devices are gadgets any bb user would love to have.
    10-28-11 12:35 PM
    i'd go for the 9900.

The jump from 9000 to 9900 will be much bigger than the jump from 9000 + PB
    10-28-11 12:58 PM
    Playbook.

You gain so much more usability.

I grab it when on the couch to surf all the time, rather than my laptop.
    If you want to browse and you have a laptop and a phone available - what do you grab ?

Therein justifies it enough.
    10-29-11 05:35 AM
    get him a pb... i had a pb first before i got my 9900. if u replace his phone it'll be nice a bit faster but besides that it wont change his lifestyle by much. if you give him a playbook, it will both be a new gadget to play with and a new type of gadget to play with. and if sre unsure maybe ask him how his phone is doing for him to try and get some clues first

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    10-29-11 06:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD