I know on a pc to get a ram boost you can plug in a ram flash drive and use the flash drive as added ram,
    could the playbooks flash drive be partitioned to make use of another half gig or gig of vram to go along with the phsyical ram?

this could make all our woes go away real quick
    05-17-13 10:02 AM
    I know on a pc to get a ram boost you can plug in a ram flash drive and use the flash drive as added ram,
    could the playbooks flash drive be partitioned to make use of another half gig or gig of vram to go along with the phsyical ram?

this could make all our woes go away real quick
    Some Android OSs, or perhaps more likely modified OSs do that kind of thing - but the problem is, it causes it's own problems.

Hard disks used to create virtual memory only really cost the OS in terms of slowness and the interruption of paging (or going back a while, swapping). Using solid state storage is more problematic, though - the continual writing of data tends to prematurely age the storage to the point of early failure.
    05-17-13 11:02 AM
    Wouldn't be worth it, too much latency in reading/writing data plus the above mentioned fact that flash memory isn't designed to have the kind of RAM levels of read/write, so would deteriorate. To quote Seymour Cray, "Memory is like an orgasm, it's a lot better if you don't have to fake it." Why would you want more RAM? I think the PlayBook with it's current OS runs well on 1GB.
    05-17-13 11:10 AM
    thanks for clearing that up
    05-17-13 11:30 AM