I'm thinking Skype would work on the PlayBook, but I'm guessing there is going to be a native video-conferncing app as well. I'm pretty sure this isn't an app/feature that requires a tehered BB to use, but with that said, an alone PlayBook on wifi doesn't have a PIN. How would we go about calling or connecting to someone to video chat. Also, does anyone know how many people we can connect to at a time. I read that the processor can support 4 way 720p at a time.
    01-13-11 10:16 PM
    There is no native video chat support. It's going to be a third party thing.
    01-13-11 11:26 PM
    Also, Skype is exceptionally unlikely unless you're with Verizon Wireless. If that is the case, the UK is screwed, again!
    01-13-11 11:47 PM
    Wasn't there a Blackberry App World advertising that has Skype as one of the featured app for the PlayBook?
    01-14-11 12:27 AM
    Wasn't there a Blackberry App World advertising that has Skype as one of the featured app for the PlayBook?
    Damn it I hope you're right. Skype on the go, say at my dad's house, would be extremely useful. I would have no need for the laptops there then, since my mum doesn't let me take mine there.
    01-14-11 08:59 AM

I think this is it and it looks ready or else they wouldn't put it up in AppWorld.
    01-14-11 01:36 PM
    Look Harder.

Those are just featured Apps. Has nothing to do with what they run on, cause I'm pretty sure we've all come to the conclusion that the Playbook won't have a native BBM app, haven't we?

Lol. Also, the Ratings are all 3x and that looks more like the ratings from AppWorld when viewed from any Blackberry smartphone.

I doubt developers and people with pre-release products are downrating apps to 1 Star and things like that... I surely doubt RIM employees and/or developers are doing it. It does make their app store look pretty bad, to have all the apps rated "Average" in a commercial when the same apps on iOS/Android are rated 4-5 Stars consistently.

Looks more like they're trying to advertise what the AppWorld itself looks like on the Playbook. If you select an App it will list what devices it supports and probably won't even install if you don't have a supported device, anyways.

That's not to say Skype won't release an App. I can say that their (Skype's) apps are pretty bad on anything that isn't an iPhone, iTouch, or iPad, though...

Considering Blackberry is what it is, I would expect Microsoft to release a Lync Client for the Playbook, though...
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-15-11 at 02:41 AM.
    01-15-11 02:37 AM
    That's not to say Skype won't release an App. I can say that their (Skype's) apps are pretty bad on anything that isn't an iPhone, iTouch, or iPad, though...
    Skype for Playbook will probably require being tethered to a VZW BlackBerry. Just like you need VZW to use Skype on BlackBerry. Skype is up VZW's prosterier when it comes to BlackBerry, yet VZW continues to reduce BlackBerry's usage. I hope VZW completely remove all RIM products from the store, then Skype might realise it can't use VZW as a money-grabbing crutch on BB.
    01-15-11 06:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD