Hi All,

I have had my playbook since about mid-may and absolutely love it. The experience has only gotten better since I picked up my new bold 9900. My wife has an Ipad and sometimes I can't help pointing out all of the limitations of the Ipad.

I was very amused when on my flight home from San Francisco, the person sitting next to me pulled an Ipad (2nd gen). Admittedly, I have a bit of a competitive streak so I had to pull out my playbook and show off a little - disclaimer, I was going to pull it out anyway but maybe a litter earlier than I would have!

He was playing Angry birds...

I was listening to the Suburbs by Arcade Fire and playing tetris at the same. I love using the multi-tasking to switch between songs - it's so seamless.

Then I fired black jack and played a couple of hands.

Then I fired up Dead Space. This game looks amazing on a dimly lit plane and I definitely got a few looks at this point.

Just before we landed he was still playing Angry birds...

Anyways, I was just having a little fun. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    09-05-11 02:34 PM
    I don't even want to think about how you behave in the mens room.
    09-05-11 02:48 PM
    I have a similar experience, but I was using my iPad 2.
    In my case, I was listening to Funeral by Arcade Fire and playing Real Racing 2 HD, because a game like that goes very well with that kind of music. But in the middle of it all, I wanted to switch songs, so I double-clicked on the home button to bring up the multitasking pane at the bottom. Then I scrolled through the dozens and dozens of open apps (remember, iOS leaves them all open unless you shut them down by pressing and holding until they wiggle, but I never shut anything down which means that basically all the icons are open in the pane). Finally I found the Music icon (naturally it was the last one on the list) and went in and fast-forwarded to the next song. Then I double-clicked on the home icon again to bring back the multitasking pane, scrolled all the way back to the Real Racing icon, which of course was the first one on the list so I had to scroll back quite a ways, I pressed it, and resumed my game.
    So all in all it only took about 5 minutes to multitask between the game and the music, so I have no clue that the haters are talking about when they say that the iPad doesn't multitask very well. No clue at all. It couldn't faster AND simpler.
    FF22, b5m and jonathon.94 like this.
    09-05-11 02:50 PM
    I feel bad showing off to family with ipads, dont want to make them feel like they bought the wrong toy.
    09-05-11 02:52 PM
    I don't even want to think about how you behave in the mens room.
    HAHAHAHAHAAAA I don't either!
    09-05-11 02:59 PM
    And Pull out my iPad and check my email on the fly. Native email is really nice. Does the playbook have native email yet?????? Just asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 09-05-11 at 03:07 PM.
    09-05-11 03:04 PM
    Just for the record, I have Angry Birds (flash version). It is better than I thought but still not as good as the native version so I definitely did not want to run that!
    09-05-11 03:04 PM
    And Pull out my iPad and check my email on the fly. Native email is really nice.

You can't use GSM communications on a plane - thus the rationale for airplane mode - so native email is useless.
    09-05-11 03:07 PM
    I actually was sitting next to someone using an ipad2 and surprisingly i didn't care that they were using one
    Cozmik likes this.
    09-05-11 03:09 PM
    You can't use GSM communications on a plane - thus the rationale for airplane mode - so native email is useless.
    Actually some aircraft support in-flight wi-fi now.
    09-05-11 03:11 PM
    Actually some aircraft support in-flight wi-fi now.
    Good point but wifi is not cellular and my personal experience is that even if it is available, it's not free on planes.
    09-05-11 03:18 PM
    And Pull out my iPad and check my email on the fly. Native email is really nice. Does the playbook have native email yet?????? Just asking.

Well Congrats! Here you go: http://www.tipb.com/?utm_source=topb..._term=sitename

I'm sure they'll be interested to hear that over there...
    09-05-11 03:24 PM
    Good point but wifi is not cellular and my personal experience is that even if it is available, it's not free on planes.
    True, but the cost of in-flight wi-fi has nothing to do with the utility of native e-mail. It certainly isn't "useless" as you earlier suggested.
    09-05-11 03:25 PM
    Well Congrats! Here you go: http://www.tipb.com/?utm_source=topb..._term=sitename

I'm sure they'll be interested to hear that over there...
    Would native email be nice? Sure it would but I bought the playbook knowing that it didn't have it. Blackberry bridge is actually pretty great with OS7 so I can wait for PlayBook 2.0 and continue to show-off the Playbook's strengths until then.
    09-05-11 03:30 PM
    True, but the cost of in-flight wi-fi has nothing to do with the utility of native e-mail. It certainly isn't "useless" as you earlier suggested.
    I agree. Native email is not useless. I just meant that in a real-life situation like on a plane, native email is a moot point.
    kevin.gardiner likes this.
    09-05-11 03:37 PM
    I agree. Native email is not useless. I just meant that in a real-life situation like on a plane, native email is a moot point.
    Let em finish that last line for you: Native e-mail is a moot point on board an airplane unless you have in-flight wi-fi access. As the latter is more and more common, you can't really discount it.
    09-05-11 03:45 PM
    Let em finish that last line for you: Native e-mail is a moot point on board an airplane unless you have in-flight wi-fi access. As the latter is more and more common, you can't really discount it.
    Native e-mail is a moot point on board an airplane unless you have FREE in-flight wi-fi access, which is entirely uncommon. Air Canada charges $10 per trip - no thanks.
    09-05-11 04:00 PM

BES on a playbook with coupled with a Blackberry device, is much, much better than native on the IPAD. Having used both, it is just IMHO.
    QuantumQnx likes this.
    09-05-11 04:04 PM
    Native e-mail is a moot point on board an airplane unless you have FREE in-flight wi-fi access, which is entirely uncommon. Air Canada charges $10 per trip - no thanks.
    The last trip I took from Chicago, on a flight to NY had wifi. Yes they charge me 5 bucks, but I got my 5 dollars from it.
    09-05-11 04:05 PM
    And it's not that one can't get email from wifi on either an ipad or playbook on a plane that supports wifi. It's called webmail.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-05-11 04:08 PM
    I'm trying to bring this thread to a different perspective

I have had my iPad2 since about first months of the year and absolutely love it. The experience has only gotten better since I picked up my new iPhone 4. My wife recently has a PlayBook and sometimes I can't help pointing out all of the limitations of the PlayBook.

I was very amused when on my flight home from San Francisco, the person sitting next to me pulled an PlayBook (1st gen). Admittedly, I have a bit of a competitive streak so I had to pull out my iPad2 and show off a little - disclaimer, I was going to pull it out anyway but maybe a litter earlier than I would have!

He was playing Tetris and listening to the Suburbs by Arcade Fire at the same time...

I was playing Angry Birds, the original.. darn I seems can't pass all of this level for three stars.. *sigh*..

He was playing black jack and played a couple of hands...

Then I fired up Angry Birds Seasons, again trying to get all level with three stars rating...

He was playing Dead Space. That game looks amazing on a dimly lit plane and he definitely got a few looks at this point....

Then I fired up Angry Birds Rio and see whether the newest level is opened yet or not.. Well,,might as well try for all levels to get three stars before the new stage came out..

And yes, just before we landed I was still playing Angry Birds, and had to use the Mighty Eagle sometimes to kill all those green pigs...

Hope u guys enjoyed it.. LOL
    Still love my PB and really wish native Angry Birds is out before DevCon USA.
    stevedee likes this.
    09-05-11 04:49 PM
    I don't understand this comment. I was actually just talking to someone who's a big BB fan, who bought a PlayBook for a while a month ago after my demo to him. He loved it! Thought it was amazing in so many ways, but then took it back.

His two main problems were that the WiFi was sucky on his unit, and no native email. The WiFi I convinced him was probably a bad unit... looks bad on RIM, but with my unit in the same location at his office, it worked just fine.

The native email... now why would he think that was required? Because he took the PlayBook on a plane, and of course had to shut off his BB phone. If he had native email, he said he could have spent the flight *reading emails* and *writing new messages*.

I assume native email support would let you work offline like that... and if so, then clearly native email on the PlayBook would be quite valuable to many business travellers, especially with the large screen and all.
    09-05-11 04:50 PM
    I'm trying to bring this thread to a different perspective

I have had my iPad2 since about first months of the year and absolutely love it. The experience has only gotten better since I picked up my new iPhone 4. My wife recently has a PlayBook and sometimes I can't help pointing out all of the limitations of the PlayBook.

I was very amused when on my flight home from San Francisco, the person sitting next to me pulled an PlayBook (1st gen). Admittedly, I have a bit of a competitive streak so I had to pull out my iPad2 and show off a little - disclaimer, I was going to pull it out anyway but maybe a litter earlier than I would have!

He was playing Tetris and listening to the Suburbs by Arcade Fire at the same time...

I was playing Angry Birds, the original.. darn I seems can't pass all of this level for three stars.. *sigh*..

He was playing black jack and played a couple of hands...

Then I fired up Angry Birds Seasons, again trying to get all level with three stars rating...

He was playing Dead Space. That game looks amazing on a dimly lit plane and he definitely got a few looks at this point....

Then I fired up Angry Birds Rio and see whether the newest level is opened yet or not.. Well,,might as well try for all levels to get three stars before the new stage came out..

And yes, just before we landed I was still playing Angry Birds, and had to use the Mighty Eagle sometimes to kill all those green pigs...

Hope u guys enjoyed it.. LOL
    Still love my PB and really wish native Angry Birds is out before DevCon USA.
    LOL...I was afraid you would find me! I thought I would be safe on crackberrydotcom!
    09-05-11 05:00 PM
    Geez, I didn't know there was a "pad contest". No offence intended, but there are no winners in such a contest, if you follow my conclusion...
    I just sat next to a guy on an international flight that was playing angry birds on his iPad. He had no earbuds and had the volume cranked so loud that i could hear it over my movie soundtrack with my custom formed ear molds. Annoying as it could be.
    He had no interest in my Playbook or my movie and I was only aware of his game due to his inconsiderate volume level.
    Better than a frustrated, crying baby, I suppose.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-05-11 05:04 PM
    I don't understand this comment. I was actually just talking to someone who's a big BB fan, who bought a PlayBook for a while a month ago after my demo to him. He loved it! Thought it was amazing in so many ways, but then took it back.

His two main problems were that the WiFi was sucky on his unit, and no native email. The WiFi I convinced him was probably a bad unit... looks bad on RIM, but with my unit in the same location at his office, it worked just fine.

The native email... now why would he think that was required? Because he took the PlayBook on a plane, and of course had to shut off his BB phone. If he had native email, he said he could have spent the flight *reading emails* and *writing new messages*.

I assume native email support would let you work offline like that... and if so, then clearly native email on the PlayBook would be quite valuable to many business travellers, especially with the large screen and all.
    That does suck but I cannot understand why he did not exchange for a new model if he thought Wifi was faulty? I had to return my first PlayBook due to a stuck pixel and have had zero issues since.

You can still use BB Bridge on a plane, you just have to turn off your cellular radio. I have not tried this but I assume the emails, BBMs, etc. would be sent once you land. Anyone care to comment on this?
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-05-11 05:05 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD