After doing some looking on ti website I believe I have found the 1.5GHz processor that the new Playbook will be using... Looking at the spec's, it seems a drop in replacement for them but with some enhanced features mainly being the 3d video performance and camera upgrade..

V1 playbook (I believe) uses : OMAP4430
    V2 playbook (I believe) uses : OMAP4460

OMAP� 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4460

I thought I would just pass this on..

oddball
    01-29-12 12:22 PM
    thx dawg, good find
    01-29-12 12:34 PM
    This is simply great news. Looks like all the media features will be improved, better camera, better video recording, faster browsing, better sound playback and recording,...
    01-29-12 01:06 PM
    I was considering purchasing a PB, but I don't know if it's worth it now because I caught wind of the update....

and I can't bring myself to buy a tablet. I don't think I'd use it enough, and if I can BB10 this year, it'll be a portable, cellular-enabled, BBM-using touch phone.
    01-29-12 01:49 PM
    The 4460 just looks like a higher clocked 4430. From my overclocking experiences in Android, the difference between 1 Ghz and 1.5 ghz is negligible for most tasks you would do on a tablet, and in the case of the Tegra 2 device produced more heat overall. I just bought the Playbook 64 GB from Newegg due to the ridiculously low price for the hardware, and the fact that the 3G version will most definitely not cost 299.
    Last edited by xplane9; 01-29-12 at 02:15 PM.
    01-29-12 02:09 PM
    This is simply great news. Looks like all the media features will be improved, better camera, better video recording, faster browsing, better sound playback and recording,...
    There's nothing there to suggest the camera/video recording will be any better. The 4460 is the same thing except CPU and GPU clocked faster. This means high quality in games and overall faster in things like web browsing. It doesn't change anything about other hardware.

TheStoof: Buy one now. The new one will surely cost more and the spec difference is negligible. Unless you have a specific desire for either a cell radio (meaning second data plan rather than bridge/tether) or NFC it won't offer anything worthwhile.
    howarmat and Rello like this.
    01-29-12 02:59 PM
    It's definitely a OMAP 4460 for Winchester 2. It's written throughout the boot script.
    I can also tell you there is a new accelerometer and magnometer but it will use the same gyroscope.
    01-29-12 04:49 PM
    Looking at the OMAP 5 device there is an video on the "video codec's" if you watch it you notice the Playbook is shown... Hmmm I wonder if RIM is going to use this device in future playbook (maybe) the rumored 10" device???

OMAP� 5 Platform - OMAP5430

select videos (or scroll to the bottom of the page)
    and select "OMAP 5 platform: videos, like its predecessors" run time 04:35

I would be surprised that TI would indicate playbook was using OMAP5 when it uses OMAP4...

Oddball....
    01-29-12 05:41 PM
    Looking at the OMAP 5 device there is an video on the "video codec's" if you watch it you notice the Playbook is shown... Hmmm I wonder if RIM is going to use this device in future playbook (maybe) the rumored 10" device???
    You quoted the key line from the website:

"OMAP 5 platform: videos, like its predecessors"
    The PlayBook is OMAP 4, the "predecessor" they mention. The OMAP 4 and OMAP 5 share the IVA-HD video decoder/encoder so it's good a demonstration.

That being said, any PlayBook device released after the OMAP 5 is likely to use an OMAP 5. It's less work for RIM to stick with OMAP than switch to something else.
    01-29-12 06:53 PM
    so they have the same SGX540 GPU. not so good of an upgrade. but on the other hand, i'm glad because it doesn't make the original PB obsolete.
    01-29-12 11:30 PM
    i hope PB2 use Omap 5 with dual core powerVR 544
    01-30-12 07:53 AM
    so they have the same SGX540 GPU. not so good of an upgrade. but on the other hand, i'm glad because it doesn't make the original PB obsolete.
    Same GPU but different speed. 304MHz vs 384MHz. Theoretically that's a 26% increase in performance, not bad.

i hope PB2 use Omap 5 with dual core powerVR 544
    The leaked roadmap showed HSPA+ PB in March-April, while the OMAP 5 won't be ready till July-September. That means first OMAP 5 devices probably October-November, way too late for the HSPA+ PB. If you mean a 10" PB then it's possible, but not for this one.
    01-30-12 12:28 PM
    More indication on the performance improvement the OMAP 5 has over OMAP 4...

02-02-12 11:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD