Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a playbook to be used primarily for this purpose;

I have a spreadsheet written in OpenSource that I use for creating my online retail listings.

I need to input thickness, width, length number of items and a descriptive term to make a listing.

I don't mind saving the information in .csv form, then transferring it via thumb drive to my main computer which uses Windows XP Professional.

I know NOTHING about tablets. I have heard that the Playbook has a built-in spreadsheet.

Formatting of spreadsheet columns is unimportant.

QUESTION - CAN I use Playbook to create a spreadsheet to take down the information, convert it to a .csv file, send it to a thumb drive and then input it into my Windows XP to copy and paste the information onto my spreadsheet? Yes or No.

Second issue

Pictures - Does Playbook have a camera? Is it any good for closeups? (This isn't as serious, I have a good camera). Can I save the pictures to a thumb drive and then upload them to Windows XP?

Third Issue

I'll need a data input pad (alphanumeric, switchable to a numeric pad). I'd prefer something that has reasonably large buttons - I don't have 2 full thumbs. Do they exist as standard equipment on the Playbook or are they an app that one can buy?

Thank you.
    11-18-11 06:54 PM
    Stick with your laptop for the time-being. The idea of using the tablet is appealing due to the smaller 'foot-print' and ease of transportability. However, I think you will find that working with the spreadsheet on a laptop is easier than on the Playbook. I have tried to use the spreadsheet app and found the keyboard a hindrance to data input. You also can't convert the file to CSV on the playbook. The easiest way to transfer the file is with Boxnet; beats plugging the thing into your laptop.

The camera is great if you have good light levels. Videos look fantastic too.

dg
    surplusdealdude likes this.
    11-18-11 07:36 PM
    Thanks.

That's what I needed to know.
    11-19-11 01:55 AM
    Stick with your laptop for the time-being. The idea of using the tablet is appealing due to the smaller 'foot-print' and ease of transportability. However, I think you will find that working with the spreadsheet on a laptop is easier than on the Playbook. I have tried to use the spreadsheet app and found the keyboard a hindrance to data input. You also can't convert the file to CSV on the playbook. The easiest way to transfer the file is with Boxnet; beats plugging the thing into your laptop.

The camera is great if you have good light levels. Videos look fantastic too.

dg
    I cannot disagree- spreadsheets never worked well on small screens and devices....needs a lot of screen real estate. Nature of the beast.
    11-19-11 02:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD