My playbook has a USB problem. I have contacted RIM customer support and I am waiting for the shipment box to arrive so that I can send it back for repair. I am so upset that I may miss the 2.0 party since I was an early adopter. Does this occur on many playbooks that the charger or the PC connection does not work? Anyway, customer service was fantastic.
    02-11-12 07:26 PM
    ahww! sorry to hear that. so i assume you couldn't charge and acces the harddrive with it?
    so a faulty usb port i guess.. don't worry you need your pb fixed then you can haz a raving party later on!
    Hiylow likes this.
    02-11-12 07:31 PM
    I have seen a few posts regarding the micro-usb charging port as a weak link, and frankly, I don't know how RIM could have missed this. I never gave it a thought when charging the Curve 8330 via its mini-USB, which appears to be quite sturdy, but I was aware before buying the PB that the PB's micro-usb could be susceptible to damage. To avoid this potential problem, I use a rapid travel charger for charge purposes, and only use the usb when I connect to the DM for backup and syncing, and then, very carefully.
    rotorwrench and Hiylow like this.
    02-11-12 07:31 PM
    Yes. I cant access the hard drive, etc. I need to back up and wipe before i send. I do have some power left thank god. I needed to get the s/n number to read to customer service. Its a good idea to write this number down in case anyone needs to have a R.M.A. Does any one have a idea how to back up without USB?
    02-11-12 07:39 PM
    The micro USB on phones and PB are different. It's not difficult to jam the charger in upside down on the PB and foul the port. On the phone you really have no chance of putting it upside down.
    I think the reasoning for using the port they did was for compatibility.
    Hiylow likes this.
    02-11-12 07:40 PM
    Does any one have a idea how to back up without USB?
    Wifi transfer everything you can.
    Now might be a good time to buy a rapid charger. 25$ at walmart.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 02-11-12 at 07:44 PM.
    Hiylow likes this.
    02-11-12 07:42 PM
    Yes. The USB port on the newer playbooks have a sturdier USB connection. I noticed this while being with a friend who bought his recently. The power button also has been slightly raised.
    02-11-12 07:43 PM
    Wifi transfer everything you can.
    WIFI used to work but doesnt anymore. Any suggestions?
    02-11-12 07:44 PM
    Is your PB wifi turned on? And do you even have wifi?
    02-11-12 07:49 PM
    Is your PB wifi turned on? And do you even have wifi?
    Thanks Jaf...I may sound fresh but i am not. Of course I have wifi turned on and connected to my household network. I use to be able to connect but haven't been able to for a while.
    02-11-12 07:51 PM
    Thanks Jaf...I may sound fresh but i am not. Of course I have wifi turned on and connected to my household network. I use to be able to connect but haven't been able to for a while.
    Whewww good to hear. Hope your replacement unit works better for you.

I had to reset my PB with the wifi here (after I had been over at my son's place for a couple of days).
    Last edited by jafobabe; 02-11-12 at 07:58 PM.
    02-11-12 07:54 PM
    WIFI used to work but doesnt anymore. Any suggestions?
    I'm not near my PC but you should be able to type //yourPBipaddress/media in the command line to access the PB.
    02-11-12 08:00 PM
    What alnamvet68 wrote: "I use a rapid travel charger for charge purposes, and only use the usb when I connect to the DM for backup and syncing, and then, very carefully."

Ditto.
    02-12-12 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD